Roll Call
0 members (), 5 Murran Spies, and 229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
How did you betray Dr. Mayavale in a past life?
by rickshaw1 - 05/19/24 07:37 PM
Why he was arrested.
by rickshaw1 - 05/19/24 07:34 PM
Alt Id's I might consider changing to ....
by rickshaw1 - 05/19/24 07:33 PM
Happy birthday, stile86!
by rickshaw1 - 05/19/24 07:30 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/19/24 05:47 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/19/24 05:45 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 05/19/24 05:44 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/19/24 05:43 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sevens Upside Your Head!
#992389 09/16/20 01:28 AM
in season
OP Offline
in season
Use your noggin, log in, and name your preferred option!

Choose one per matchup -- no ties -- on your opinion of the cover merits alone. Click images to see larger versions

Previous editions, for perusal and/or catch-up: Elevens, Twelves, Eights, Tens, Twenty-Nines, Eighteens, Fifteens, Fives, Nines, Seventeens, Nineteens, Sixteens, Sixes, Twenties

1. TEEN TITANS vs. NEW TEEN TITANS

click to enlarge click to enlarge

2. MAD vs. RUSE

3. FOUR FAVORITES vs. FANTASTIC FOUR

4. PATSY WALKER vs. PATSY AND HEDY

Re: Sevens Upside Your Head!
Leap Year Lord #992405 09/16/20 12:30 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
1. TEEN TITANS vs. NEW TEEN TITANS

click to enlarge

2. MAD vs. RUSE

click to enlarge

3. FOUR FAVORITES vs. FANTASTIC FOUR

click to enlarge

4. PATSY WALKER vs. PATSY AND HEDY

click to enlarge

Leap Year Lord #992409 09/16/20 06:45 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
1. The New Teen Titans - in spite of the business I prefer this look.
2. Ruse - artwork again
3. Four Favorites - in spite of being an FF fan, this cover has more drama in it.
4. Patsy and Hedy - Not sure what the guys are doing in the other cover, patting each other on the back as they are laughing I guess, not exactly fair to people of different build and he actually might be a much nicer fella than they are, but the P&H cover is genuinely funny.

Leap Year Lord #992423 09/17/20 10:37 AM
in season
OP Offline
in season
1. NEW TEEN TITANS although the colorful distraction to the left can not be denied.

2. RUSE. Ah, a lift with (deadly) twists. (The logo isn't great though. Mad's trade dress is top-notch.)

3. FANTASTIC FOUR. Bright and nutty (yet makes sense). 4F is kinda washed out in comparison, and what exactly is happening there?

4. PATSY AND HEDY!

Leap Year Lord #992425 09/17/20 11:11 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
1. Titans - I usually like a lot of detail in an image, but New TT looks too cluttered. Plus I used to own the Mad Mod issue, back in the days when mothers threw out your comics when you went to college.

2. Ruse - might have appeared in a more modern MAD as a Norman Rockwell spoof. Lovely art.

3. Four Favourites - a delightfully WTF? cover.

4. Patsy and Hedy - if they're going for a chuckle, they've got it. What's wrong with kissing a short chubby rich guy? Maybe she'll marry him and the two bozos will end up working as her chauffeurs.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Leap Year Lord #992432 09/17/20 03:54 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
1. Titans - DC checkerboard makes for the gearest!

2. Ruse - Beauty and a much less tired feeling joke

3. Fantastic Four - Close, because I really like them both, but I don't really need both the headshots at the top and the blurb at the bottom on the Four Favorites cover.

4. Patsy and Hedy - No contest.

Leap Year Lord #992433 09/17/20 04:00 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
1. New Teen Titans. But it's close. Titans has go-go checks and groovy gear and a grinning goon. At thumbnail size, it might win. Enlarged, seeing Wonder Girl thumped by some new foe really brings home the level of threat in the issue. If anything, Light is a distraction to bring in readers who recognise him. And who is their mystery leader?

2. Ruse. The guy with the sword stabbies the guy on the bottom right. A lurching train results in the guy with the pistol shooting the guy with the garrotte. The bomb is thrown through the window, landing on the guy with the sword, knocking him beneath and onto the tracks, where the bomb exploded well behind the train. They guy throwing the bomb is hit as the train goes through a tunnel. The snake bites the guy with the pistol and returns to its basket. The noose is a bell pull for the porter. He arrives in a rush, bumping into the guy who opened the basket, who falls through the hole in the floor. The porter picks up the basket and replaces the floor hatch. He then brings tea to our triumphant protagonists, who have realised that 7 across is "constabulary", solving the Times crossword. Elsewhere, I shall not lech at a Kurtzman drawing. I am listening to Sherlock Holmes on audio at the minute though.

3. Fantastic Four - 4 Favourites gets its usual points for having all its cast interact on the cover. And its an action packed cover too. But Kirby's Thing is super broody, and Reed is super concerned about helping the world through his science. It's so far ahead, you'd need to strap yourself to a missile to catch up. Sorry, 4 favourites, a much bigger missile.

4. Patsy & Hedy - The playful twirling of the hair, before going in for the smooch, is the more romantic of the two. While the guys on Patsy don't seem to have seen each other for a while, they're perhaps a little over eager. Bride of the Vampire was the title of a Scooby Doo cartoon, who were obviously thinking along the same mash-up lines as the cover artist here.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Leap Year Lord #992443 09/17/20 05:51 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
5. SPIDER-WOMAN vs. KURT BUSIEK'S ASTRO CITY

6. DICK TRACY vs. CRIME PATROL

7. NICKEL COMICS vs. WHIZ COMICS

8. NEW MUTANTS vs. YOUNG X-MEN

Leap Year Lord #992446 09/17/20 08:49 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
5. Spider-Woman

6. Dick Tracy

7. Nickel Comics

8. New Mutants

Leap Year Lord #992448 09/18/20 03:47 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
5. Astro City - lighting & creepier

6. Dick Tracy - is he getting out or getting in? More going on in Crime Patrol, but I don't dig the disembodied head.

7. Nickel Comics - tough call, because it looks like Bullet Man is sending that boxcar of explosives back to the full train below, but Cap Marvel catching the plane between his legs, ouch!

8. New Mutants - Young X-Men just looks boring, on New Mutants I wonder if Mom can kick that axe out of his hand since she's just being held by her t-shirt.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Leap Year Lord #992454 09/18/20 07:35 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
5. SPIDER-WOMAN vs. KURT BUSIEK'S ASTRO CITY

click to enlarge

6. DICK TRACY vs. CRIME PATROL

click to enlarge

7. NICKEL COMICS vs. WHIZ COMICS

click to enlarge

8. NEW MUTANTS vs. YOUNG X-MEN

click to enlarge

Leap Year Lord #992474 09/18/20 08:05 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
5. KURT BUSIEK'S ASTRO CITY - beautiful art as are most of Astro City but also a dramatic and engaging view as opposed to a fairly generic superhero one.

6. CRIME PATROL - This was close and in some ways Dick was the winner because less crowded but CP tells more of an interesting story

7. NICKEL COMICS - Plane catching seems a bit common (Ha! Try saying that in the real world) but bending up the railway tracks this way is more dynamic and more interesting.

8. YOUNG X-MEN - NM is fine and all and certainly attention grabbing with its threat but YXM is more appealing art.

Leap Year Lord #992478 09/18/20 11:31 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
5. ASTRO CITY. It's probably just space-mantis appendage anatomy, but I like how it appears the AC character is kindasorta considering annihilation. Maybe. "I guess we could blow it to pieces...what are you thinking, Madge?"

6. DICK TRACY. On the other one is the crime being patrolled the SDB -- silent but deadly?

7. NICKEL because why pay more?

8. NM serving up a big piece of 80s cheese -- which also happens to have a nostalgia factor for Teeds, who remembers seeing this on the spinner rack. But nah. YOUNG X-MEN but I'd zhuzh it up at bit -- make the background a very vivid color, and overemphasize the words that parody/subvert the usual (NOT a MUTANT).

Leap Year Lord #992492 09/19/20 03:16 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
9. FRANKENSTEIN vs. NELLIE THE NURSE

10. BOY MEETS GIRL vs. LOVE DIARY

11. SECRETS OF SINISTER HOUSE vs. WALLY THE WIZARD

12. NEW TEEN TITANS vs. SUB-MARINER

Leap Year Lord #992496 09/19/20 06:59 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
9. FRANKENSTEIN vs. NELLIE THE NURSE

click to enlarge

10. BOY MEETS GIRL vs. LOVE DIARY

click to enlarge

11. SECRETS OF SINISTER HOUSE vs. WALLY THE WIZARD

click to enlarge

12. NEW TEEN TITANS vs. SUB-MARINER

click to enlarge

Leap Year Lord #992498 09/19/20 09:35 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
9. FRANKENSTEIN: Nellie is ok but the numour of the monsters finding the Spook comic frightening is worth the win.

10. LOVE DIARY: Neither of these appeal to me at all but LD has Free Prizes!

11. SECRETS OF SINISTER HOUSE: Never heard of Wally the Wizard. I saw it and thought "Marvel? Looks like Harvey comics." Then looked it up and saw it was the same artist Warren Kremer. Nevertheless SOSH gets it for the simple joy on the girl dragon rider's face.

12. NEW TEEN TITANS: Very interesting approach using the city photographs as a backdrop but I think NTT pulls it off better. Does anyone know who was in the cars in the parade in Submariner? My first thought was the Apollo 11 astronauts but the comic came out the previous year.

Leap Year Lord #992513 09/20/20 11:09 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
9. Frankenstein - cute, more interesting than Nellie.

10. Love Diary - although the rose looks thornless, it appeals to my snoopiness. I'm not sure what the fingers over the face is on Boy Meets Girl, but I do love that apple in the background: Eve, meet Adam.

11. Secrest of Sinister House - because who wouldn't want to ride a dragon?

12. New Teen Titans - brighter, and it looks like a dimensional portal. Sub-Mariner just looks like cut and paste, but probably the best they could do back then. Stile, I wonder if those cars might be JFK's motorcade in Dallas November 1963 (?).

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Leap Year Lord #992518 09/20/20 01:40 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
5. Astro City. The poor Insectoids from Arcturus V would regret outsourcing their electronic to a species that didn't know it's firing from its self destruct mechanisms. On Spidey, there's one too many captions telling us about impending doom. One of them saying it, and the button would have sufficed. Spidey does get points for being an Official Crisis on Infinite Earths Crossover issue though.

6. Dick Tracey. Tracey's bright yellow coat would have popped on the stands , doing the cover's job very nicely. Captain Crime may have spotted his foes. But all that second hand smoke made him too wheezy to chase them down.

7. Nickel Comics. Whiz has the better logo, and even though both are similarly sized, would be more attractive on the stands. Cap does him usual awesome job. Both of them do. But Bulletman's more in the foreground. That means the yellow of his neckerchief/ jodhpurs combo really stands out. Much as Tracey's coat does. Nice use of yellow in "explovies2 to continue the colour theme with the logo and outfit.

8. New Mutants. Good use of spacing, to get Sam in the foreground, Roberto in the near/mid and axe murderer (not too many on code covers) in the mid works. Alt+Blok2 standing in the middle of Xavier's dream where people mix together whether mutant or not, shouting that looks a bit silly. Is the non mutant going to be forced to leave the team, in a bit of xenophobia?

9. Frankenstein. I like the framing of the candles. Good perspective use, with the rat in foreground etc. Nice family pic of guy in coffin. Calamity Nell seems to be the cause of the accidents that she the nurses. It is well known that Stephen King subscribed to Nellie The Nurse, which led to Misery, just as he read all those EC comics as a kid.

10. Boy Meets Girl. Lots going on. Ornate mirror on right, girl in middle and pic on left make for a well designed cover. vertically, you have the nicely coloured books and that white backdrop that makes the other decorations, and the character stand out. Very nice. The rose on the other oen doesn't look preseed enough to have made it into a Love Diary. I suspect fake diaries!

11. Wally. There's some light humour in there. Wally is even more confused when Sargon turns up and belts him for no apparent reason. Over in Sinister, Lockheed looks for other humans to pal with, having been bounced around the X-Man scorecard roster once too often.

12. New Teen Titans. Like Boy Meets Girl, that white background would have really stood out on the stands. Lovely offset circle of the background allows the characters to stand out, the diagonal starbolt is just the design cherry on the well baked design cake. Oh, and.."LIIIIILIIIIIIIITH!" Over in Namor?.."Gah! It's Nixon!.... must grasp logo to climb away to safety!" The bystanders are used to seeing drunken naked guys when there's a parade, and no one pays Namor any attention. He hates that. Cover was later used for a Tales To Astonish #7.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Leap Year Lord #992558 09/21/20 01:23 AM
in season
OP Offline
in season
9. NELLIE. Frankenstein idea is good, but the composition and coloring does not work for me.

10. LOVE DIARY. BMG seems a little off to me - the use of white space, the color of the dress with respect to the rest of it, and that hand pose.

11. SECRETS OF SINISTER HOUSE. Co-sign Crames & Stile.

12. NTT. Sub-mariner looks like a sticker on a photograph. NTT a better (but not perfect - I think the drawn bit could be sharper) blend of its pieces and good call on cropping the photo into a Big Dot.

Leap Year Lord #992559 09/21/20 01:28 AM
in season
OP Offline
in season
13. JONESY vs. CHERYL BLOSSOM

14. WENDY PARKER vs. KATHY

15. MAD HOUSE MA-AD ANNUAL vs. THAT WILKIN BOY

16. JETTA vs. MILLIE THE MODEL ANNUAL

Leap Year Lord #992563 09/21/20 07:43 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
13. JONESY vs. CHERYL BLOSSOM

click to enlarge

14. WENDY PARKER vs. KATHY

click to enlarge

15. MAD HOUSE MA-AD ANNUAL vs. THAT WILKIN BOY

click to enlarge

16. JETTA vs. MILLIE THE MODEL ANNUAL

click to enlarge

Leap Year Lord #992564 09/21/20 11:57 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
13. Cheryl Blossom - both corny gags, but Jonesy looks creepy.

14. Kathy - the gag is better integrated with the setting. The art on Wendy Parker looks clumsy.

15. That Wilkin Boy - the sort of scene that really happens; why would the Reggie's father worry about the electrical bill? Wasn't he supposed to be well-to-do? He looks it.

16. Jetta - the title name and "cosmic creep" win this one, although I have some fondness for the Hey Kids We're Cool cover for Millie.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Leap Year Lord #992632 09/23/20 09:17 AM
in season
OP Offline
in season
13. CHERYL BLOSSOM. Prefer the style.

14. KATHY. What's up with those weird Wendy Parker railroad tracks?

15. THAT WILKIN BOY. Co-sign re: scene that really happens

16. MILLIE ANNUAL. It's fun to look at and I don't think I've seen that specific gag before! Also I'm gonna get a little Wertham here and say Jetta is drawn too body con. She is in high school!

Leap Year Lord #992633 09/23/20 09:18 AM
in season
OP Offline
in season
17. U.S. 1 vs. THE TWELVE

18. REYN vs. SHADE THE CHANGING GIRL

19. THE LEGION vs. CARNAGE

20. PLOP vs. CARE BEARS

Leap Year Lord #992634 09/23/20 02:21 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
13. Cheryl. Jonesy looks like a stalker. If that's the third time he's been back, what's the blonde up to?

14. Kathy. Showing us the truth about drive-ins. The track on the Wendy cover looked as though it was added late to reinforce the gag.

15. That Wilkin. Boy It has the better gag, although the fashion is much better on the other cover.

16. Jetta. Because we don't say Cosmic Creep around here as much as we should. Also for eye-catching skirts. As futuristic as Jetty is, it's Millie that has a Carggian on the cover.

17. US1. I prefer the colour palette of it, and it's nice to see Lashina crossover into another company. In art in the panel is probably a warning of a quality drop inside. The Twelve doesn't quite get the feel for pulps that it's going for.

18. Reyn. I'd read more of Adama Strange/ Cosmic Girl. If I ever want to take up lounging, I could maybe read an issue of Shade. But it's not likely.

19. Legion. More sitting around in Carnage. A crossover with Shade is imminent. The Legion are facing something...well... bright. Possibly involving Mr T's T-Spheres. But at least there's chance of me opening to cover to find out what the bright thing is. Oh, and points for the Thomas Dolby cover text.

20. Care Bears. I've mentally replaced all those Per Degaton covers and Secret Wars ones with a care bear in the middle. The plot in the Marvel ones improves too as an added bonus.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,485
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Roche Runo
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Dennis Calero
Dennis Calero
New York
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star