Roll Call
0 members (), 7 Murran Spies, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
How did you betray Dr. Mayavale in a past life?
by rickshaw1 - 05/19/24 07:37 PM
Why he was arrested.
by rickshaw1 - 05/19/24 07:34 PM
Alt Id's I might consider changing to ....
by rickshaw1 - 05/19/24 07:33 PM
Happy birthday, stile86!
by rickshaw1 - 05/19/24 07:30 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/19/24 05:47 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/19/24 05:45 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 05/19/24 05:44 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/19/24 05:43 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Sevens Upside Your Head!
Leap Year Lord #992984 10/03/20 07:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
37. NICK FURY AGENT OF SHIELD vs. STRANGERS IN PARADISE

click to enlarge

38. SUPERMAN ADVENTURES vs. DOLL MAN

click to enlarge

39. PICTORIAL ROMANCES vs. ARCHIE'S TV LAUGH-OUT

click to enlarge

40. MAD ABOUT MILLIE vs. GHOST RIDER

click to enlarge

Leap Year Lord #993000 10/04/20 05:53 AM
in season
OP Offline
in season
37. NICK FURY. I'll take trippy over WE WERE ON A BREAK.

38. SUPERMAN ADVENTURES. While I probably like the Doll Man art better, it's like dang it, Darrel, why you always getting into messes

39. PICTORIAL ROMANCES. YOU KNOW WHO!!

40. MAD ABOUT MILLIE. Zodiac motorcyle soul....nah, just nah

Leap Year Lord #993001 10/04/20 05:58 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
25. Spectre: That time when the Tattooed Man got work at the mint. Decent colours on Violent Love.

26. Gangbusters: That time the T-Men broke up counterfeit ring, only to find out that 1)they were a counterfeit counterfeit ring and were legit and b) They also used the Tattooed Man's ink for their notes. Thief of Thieves has the logo points, and definitely the tagline points. But it's a guy sitting in a chair.

27. Global Frequency: I don't think the logo placement will have helped it stand out in the shelf. The pic doesn't say too much about the book. Weapon X is trying to look cool, but manages to look dull with some suitably grey background.

28. My Life: Both get earring/ dress colour match points. Logos and backgrounds the same. My life loses points for the head covering the text. Love life gains points for giving us story points only to lose them and more as they're boring. But once I came up with "My Life...among the shoulder less natives of Antares", My Life edged ahead.

29. Outsiders: Nice angles on the logo, text and a rather upset Rex/Alt+Rex. It might be cold and barren where Moon Knight is. He might not be able to fight them. But he can sire bludgeon them to death with the cover text, light a fire with it and eat the bodies for food.

30. Amazing Adult Fantasy: And not the adult fantasies that are going on the mega lechy Age of Bronze. It's intellectually mature in Amazing Fantasy. Here is the tale of a population willing to sacrifice a child to the alien visitor. After all, a new kid will be born.. oh there's one now. Stories to make you think.

31. Swords of the Swashbucklers: At thumbnail, the cat looks to be adrift in space. On closer inspection, the cat is single-pawedly attacking an alien armada with millions of insectoid hive troopers. They should have brought reinforcements. Isherwood points too. On the other one, it's forced genre and a cat sadly having to put the human in its place.

32. Beanworld: I've often struggled to find a place to put the stray clouds. Thanks to informative, intellectual comics (see Amazing Adult Fantasy above) I not know I can simply compress them between the top and posts of my fence. So simply and easy! Thanks Beanworld! Over in Batman, the poor Riddler has been punched in the gut so often, by the "hero", he's sadly incontinent.

33. Groo: The pic in the side panel wins by itself. There doens;t seem to be much going on in Groo, but after 6 issues of the slow, yet terribly violent barbarian, The Sage offers a very different outlook. Keen Groo watchers will spot that the Sage also has a doggy. What will Rufferto think? Over in the Spirit, the title character has only recently joined the Zero Tolerance for Smokers committee. His cold, emotionless face will not hear excuses, even from the last breathe of his closest ally.

34. Atom/Hawkman: Lovely diagonal positioning on both. The Vulture looks his silly self, but genuinely old here, which gives him something unusual here. The little aliens look silly, but give something for both Ray and Carter to thump. Camera art balances the better city and fight perspective on Spidey. Atom would make me open it up, as I think the length of chain on that mace it also going to kill Palmer. Vulture costume is yucks. Close call in he end.

35. Shade: Another close call, and one that changed with age. I prefer the art on the Manhyunter cover. The insert logo with the mask is nice, although does get in the way. Possibly there to help it stand out in the racks. You do have to know who Count Vertigo is for this to really pay off. There's just enough of a floor around Shaw for the intention to be clear (I remember it as a dull issue.) But older me sees that colour is part of the madness within the Meta-Zone. It's a less straightforward story. I might like it less than Manhunter, but it's more likely to make an impression (reading Amazing Adult Fantasy makes you think of these things.)

36. Tiny Titans: For getting an Alien reference in there as part of the gag. Elsewhere, it's another therapy session for those who find lipstick wearing horses unsettling.

37. Nick Fury: Oooh. Another Steranko cover of a series I own none of. Nice. Dali meets the Bicycle Thieves. SiP has a poor man's Shining going on. It's a bit whiny, but a decently eye catching cover. I picked it up.

38. Superman Adventures: They villain at the top is going for major stabbys! He's just had to tell his pal that rubbing Superman out, didn't mean using the eraser on the end of his pencil. Ray Palmer must be peeved someone is pinching his routine. #7 of Dollman was the last in his series. #8 came out 3 years later, under the title The Cuckoo. It was a tell-all tale of Darrel Dane's serial adoption scam, where he would pretend to be a couple's new born, only to rob them blind. His accomplice, The Stork, has never been apprehended.

39. Pictorial Romances: Mainly for the baker art. But clearly the fortune teller is a wind up merchant saying that in front on not-George. Perhaps the fortune teller fancies not-George herself. The other lady either lives a very sheltered life where she only knows of one guy with blond hair, or has been secretly fancying George for ages, and will use the flimsiest excuse to run off with him. All good reasons to read the book. Laugh out has a decent gag and a cat, so it's fine.

40. Mad About Millie: That big logo and background stands out and Daisy wouldn't have survived if that had fallen on her. Decent gag. Sure, Ghost Rider has two bikes flying out in stunt fashion from a giant zodiac. But it can't make up it's mind. The zodiac is in the pic, and is a foe. But they want to give Stuntmaster a key introduction. But the title blurb confuses everything. "And lose hs own soul." Who? Dead guy with head on fire? Stuntmaster? Zodiac? The reader on opening the mag? No clue and no place for it on the cover.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Leap Year Lord #993061 10/06/20 07:30 AM
in season
OP Offline
in season
41. BUNNY vs. PANIC

click to enlarge click to enlarge

42. ART OPS vs. YOUNG LIARS

43. HAUNTED vs. FALLEN ANGEL

44. IT'S SCIENCE WITH DR. RADIUM vs. THE FLY

Leap Year Lord #993062 10/06/20 07:34 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
41. BUNNY vs. PANIC

click to enlarge

42. ART OPS vs. YOUNG LIARS

click to enlarge

43. HAUNTED vs. FALLEN ANGEL

click to enlarge

44. IT'S SCIENCE WITH DR. RADIUM vs. THE FLY

click to enlarge

Leap Year Lord #993107 10/07/20 11:39 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
37. Nick Fury - a lot more exciting than SiP, but I do like the forlorn aspect of the character on SiP.

38. Superman - you think a pencil is going to take out Superman? Is that a quickly coded message to Lois he's typinn out? Doll Man just doesn't cut it and I always find his costume looks silly.

39. Pictorial Romances - potential story interest over Archie gag.

40. Ghost Rider - don't particularly like the cover, but motorcycle guys and horoscopes are an odd combo.

41. Bunny - Panic is just too much, I'll take the corny.

42. Art Ops - a team book? A heist? Didn't read the series. Danny Duoshade looks like an annoying personality.

43. Fallen Angel - the more abstract depiction looks creepier.

44. The Fly - holding breath more appealing than imminent barfing.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Leap Year Lord #993112 10/07/20 01:51 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
41. Panic. The gag at the bottom is off beat, while Bunny tries desperately to the popular beat. Panic's colours would be striking on the stand.

42. Art Ops. Both fail for trying far too hard. The other one loses more because of the ridiculous hyperbole on the cover form some tame website.

43. Haunted. Perhaps it's a tale from the spiders perspective? Perhaps the spider has the face of someone that one of the humans had thought long dead? Some story...threads.. which is more than the other one has.

44. It's Science. That red spine steers you straight to it form the corner of the shop. Red is for danger... and science! Humour mixes with the horror of The Fly. The other Fly has the more polished art, nice shadowy critter and cheeks puffed out trying to hold his breath. But there's only one of these I'm picking up.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Leap Year Lord #993118 10/07/20 03:01 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
41. PANIC. You've just hit the patching jackpot, tiger.

42. ART OPS. While I like the muchness of the op art (hey) radiance + stars on YL, the rest of it annoys me. Bowie deserves better ripoffs.

43. FALLEN ANGEL even though it comes too close to Spidey insignia.

44. IT'S SCIENCE. The Fly looks like Arthur from The Tick. (Maybe that was later but I'm judging now.)

Leap Year Lord #993119 10/07/20 03:02 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
45. STRANGE ADVENTURES vs. GOD IS DEAD

46. NAMOR vs. INHUMANS

47. ZOT! vs. WONDER COMICS

48. OSCAR vs. HOPPY

Leap Year Lord #993120 10/07/20 03:20 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
45. STRANGE ADVENTURES vs. GOD IS DEAD

click to enlarge

46. NAMOR vs. INHUMANS

click to enlarge

47. ZOT! vs. WONDER COMICS

click to enlarge

48. OSCAR vs. HOPPY

click to enlarge

Leap Year Lord #993145 10/08/20 12:28 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
45. STRANGE ADVENTURES because that ant is hilarious. "Oh, hi Cindy."

46. NAMOR I guess.

47. ZOT! Angle!

48. HOPPY I guess.

Leap Year Lord #993151 10/08/20 05:03 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
45. Strange Adventures: The other cover has some tin foil hat wearing nonsense about deities. But Strange Adventures has the all too real warning about giant ants inheriting the woild! Points for the pattern on the skirt too.

46. Namor: I prefer the colour coordination on this one. It took me too long to realise that the orange pattern on Inhumans might represent Medusa's hair? That might have been worth a win, had I realised.

47. Zot! Future cities and ray guns. Nice sky gradient. Over in Wonder Comics, the Grim Reaper sends another damsel to her death. He survives because he's the grim reaper. She's not so lucky.

48. Hoppy. It took me too long to realise the guy's head was bell shaped on the other cover. In that time, I'd already set up my "Why isn't Hoppy in the Post-Crisis Legion of Super Pets?" petition. 'World's Mightiest Cottontail" gets cuteness points.

Leap Year Lord #993167 10/09/20 08:59 AM
in season
OP Offline
in season
49. MAGIC COMICS vs. FAMOUS FUNNIES

50. MAZING MAN vs. MISTER MIRACLE

51. WORLD OF MYSTERY vs. CAPTAIN MARVEL ADVENTURES

52. FLAMING CARROT COMICS vs. AMBUSH BUG YEAR NONE

Leap Year Lord #993168 10/09/20 09:06 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
49. MAGIC COMICS vs. FAMOUS FUNNIES

click to enlarge

50. MAZING MAN vs. MISTER MIRACLE

click to enlarge

51. WORLD OF MYSTERY vs. CAPTAIN MARVEL ADVENTURES

click to enlarge

52. FLAMING CARROT COMICS vs. AMBUSH BUG YEAR NONE

click to enlarge

Leap Year Lord #993209 10/10/20 10:59 AM
in season
OP Offline
in season
49. MAGIC COMICS. Sentients outside the US: here's the visual reference. (And here's the cherry tree BS)

50. 'MAZING MAN. The Miracle Man setup is fine, but the Booster and Beetle figures seem off, some proportion thing?

51. WORLD OF MYSTERY.

52. AMBUSH BUG YEAR NONE. How about a 52 match-up?

Leap Year Lord #993229 10/11/20 10:49 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
45. Strange Adventures - Giant ants taking over the world pretty much tells me that god is dead anyways.

46. Namor - apart from general preference for blue over orange, a prettier scene with nice touches to show it's under water.

47. Zot - more dynamic with that perspective, although Wonder promises more excitement.

48. Oscar - gag better than holiday greetings bunny.

49. Famous Funnies - the joke falls flat, but points for the dog. Magic loses for putting Henry on the cover while starring Mandrake.

50. 'Mazing Man - although I have a soft spot for Booster & Beetle as well as Scott & Barda, can't resist the pull of four guys walk into a bar.

51. World of Mystery - "Last seen Entering a Fog" - put that on my tombstone, please. Creepier story potential than yet another superhero smashing through a door.

52. Ambush Bug - colour combo pleasing, love the Bug, not the Carrot.

EDIT: Just read LYL's comment re #49 visual reference, didn't get that although I've seen the painting and various take-offs.

Last edited by Fat Cramer; 10/11/20 10:53 AM.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Leap Year Lord #993235 10/11/20 04:13 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
53. MARY MARVEL vs. LEGIONNAIRES

54. HUNK vs. SEA DEVILS

55. GORGO vs. RIP HUNTER...TIME MASTER

56. JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA vs. THE INVISIBLES

Leap Year Lord #993236 10/11/20 04:19 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
53. MARY MARVEL vs. LEGIONNAIRES

click to enlarge

54. HUNK vs. SEA DEVILS

click to enlarge

55. GORGO vs. RIP HUNTER...TIME MASTER

click to enlarge

56. JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA vs. THE INVISIBLES

click to enlarge

Leap Year Lord #993238 10/11/20 04:35 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
49. Magic Comics. It takes something special for me not to vote for an axe moider, but the sheer imperious nature of the guy leaving the bath gets the win. Our bathtime pal looks much more useful that that Washington chap, LYL showed us, who is getting everyone else to do all the work.

50. 'Mazing Man. It's for the innocence of the central character and his mug. Personally, I find that supporting cast as serious creepy. Possibly enough to make me not pick up the book. Scott and Barda trying to find domestic bliss, never interested me. But since I never read it, I have no idea how good it was. The comedy was already overdone in JLA when this was coming out.

51. Woilds of Misery: Cap cuts a mean, determined figure busting down that door. His foe is so menacing he covers the logo background. These are elements that would win many a cover contest. But those well rendered trouser creases; the terror on the guy's face and which door would you choose? Possibly not the one with the oil slick coming out from under it? Interesting sounding other stories too!

52. Ambush Bug. Despite my obvious interest in nuclear powered pogo sticks, Carrot's World looks a bit static and empty. Bug's issue 7 of 6 gives a hint of things not going smoothly behind the scenes (a huge shock in a Giffen book). Even the central character has given up on it all as a bad deal.

Leap Year Lord #993239 10/11/20 04:54 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
53. Mary Marvel: Sure, Adam Hughes is a top artist. Yes, that little fish is swimming past the logo. Sure, there's some cheesecake going on. But look at the sheer joy in that little seahorse's face in handing Mary that pearl! Look! If that, and the smiling fish, doesn't melt your heart, then you're a survivor of Dryad.

54. Sea Devils: Hunk is perilously close to being impounded for transgressing obscenity laws. While I'm trying hard to imagine that is indeed a wave the Sea Devils are fighting, thanks to that Hunk cover, I'll give it the points. It gets points for the writers to come up with a new watery threat each month.

55. Gorgo: The film was coproduced in the UK and has a budget to match. I saw it a couple of years back and... what? talk about the covers... well, it still wins even if I don't know where the falling rocks are coming from. Did Gorgo throw them up in the air a moment ago. Are they from the volcano that's in the film. Did I mention that I'd see... oh I did... right then... over on Rip the critters look mechanical. A few similar DC covers had this problem with dinosaurs. Rip has cunningly left the other guy to give cover exposition while he makes a quick escape from danger.

56. Justice League of America: Even changed, they would still have their powers. So, it looks like an easy win for the League. Once again, Aquaman is left out. "If only I didn't have to stop and throw a glass of water over my head, to overcome my weakness!" he moaned on page 5. The Invisibles cover is the sad culmination of Grant Morrison's mum letting him peek at Skin Two mag on the shelves of his newsagent in the '80s. We should be grateful he was sneaking a peek at it then. A decade later, and that would have been his take on The Jester joining up with the Seven Soldiers.

Leap Year Lord #993246 10/12/20 09:16 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
53. Mary Marvel - something very sweet about this cover.

54. Sea Devils - good wave or bad wave? Nice frothy, crashing wave effect, with a bit of waterspout thrown in.

55. Gorgo - more action! more danger! better name! Was there really a film? (Yep, I checked - and the movie poster is a lot better than the cover. A monster and his mom!)

56. JLA - the joke's on them AND it's cosmic. Don't want to see people going to the bathroom and the colours are unappealing.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Leap Year Lord #993253 10/12/20 02:30 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
53. MARY MARVEL. Cute! I always want to very slightly rearrange L* because there's just enough of a blankness at top left to bug.

54. SEA DEVILS. Co-sign thoth.

55. RIP HUNTER. Are you guys nuts?

56. JLA. If the other cover is a test, I'm OK with failing it.

Leap Year Lord #993254 10/12/20 02:32 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
57. GREEN LAMA vs. XMAS COMICS

58. HAUNTED LOVE vs. GHOST MANOR

59. GHOST MANOR vs. WEB OF EVIL

60. HOWARD THE DUCK vs. LUCKY DUCK

Leap Year Lord #993255 10/12/20 03:52 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
57. GREEN LAMA vs. XMAS COMICS - This one was hard

click to enlarge

58. HAUNTED LOVE vs. GHOST MANOR

click to enlarge

59. GHOST MANOR vs. WEB OF EVIL

click to enlarge

60. HOWARD THE DUCK vs. LUCKY DUCK

click to enlarge

Leap Year Lord #993283 10/13/20 01:24 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
57. XMas Comics. I've always wanted a llama and this year... hey! Who's this creepy guy in a hood?! Putting a bow and some background on doesn't stop it being a pose cover. Elsewhere, Cap is bringing me a sock that matches the one he got me last year! No more hopping for me!

58. Haunted Love. The monsters aren't so much ridin' in Ghost Manor as congoing. Laughing faces in a cape gets the win. I'm not sure what the faces on either side are in.

59. Web of Evil. That will teach him to wonder how two arms can fit into such a small box. Ghost Manor loses again. It just doesn't connect together, despite a nice idea of showing stories as thoughts.

60. Lucky Duck. Decent and simple gag, and I wonder which hand is going to remove the cigarette. Howard is trapped in a world he never made, and which has better jokes.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,485
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Roche Runo
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star