Roll Call
0 members (), 36 Murran Spies, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:05 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:04 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:02 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 10:58 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 44 of 58 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 57 58
Re: The Moaning, Groaning, I just want to Vent thread
Quislet, Esq #994844 11/25/20 11:10 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm the same way Ann, I know exactly how hard that is and I'm sorry you're dealing with it.

The way the parasites on eBay have been desperate to hype up any potential Yara Flor first appearances has pretty much diminished whatever interest I might've had in Future State and further convinces me we as a species should've been wiped out ages ago.

Quislet, Esq #994845 11/25/20 11:30 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Thank you, Sarky. Yeah, pop culture's no fun anymore. It's become like the surface of Rann -- barren.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Quislet, Esq #994916 11/27/20 05:47 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Well, work has been a lot better lately, but that's because I haven't had to deal with the dipshit dispatchers from Ohio. That changed this week.

Left Tuesday for West Virginia. Takes longer in trucks because we are climbing mountains and pulling 47,500 lbs. But, Okay. Standard run. Get there with about four hours left on my day. This is where it all goes kablooie.

I am now at the mercy of the Ohio dispatchers. One decides that me, a guy from South Carolina, can grab a load at my delivery point and deliver it to Somersworth, NH. This will mean driving Wednesday to deliver. Just ONE little problem. It takes over 12+ hours to make the drive in a car. I'll be in a truck, once again crossing the mountains. I tell the dispatch I won't make it by close of business wednesday. Not enough time since we are limited to 11 hrs drive time a day.

"Well, with your remaining time you can get several hours down the road and should make it no problem."

"No," I reply. "Im at the start of this offload, pushing it across half the plant. Guy here tells me it takes several hrs to deliver this load. I will be out or nearly out of time when I'm done."

"Just grab the preload and get as far down the road as you can. We'll make it up later tomorrow."

Now, I know this is bullshit, I'll be out of time. And I was when I finished. I had to personal use eight miles to the nearest safe haven, which happened to be our terminal there. I sent message that I couldn't legally deliver load on Wednesday, Thursday would be the earliest. Then we speak on the phone and he cops an attitude. Okay. Fine. I send the message that unless told otherwise my 10 hr break would be up between 3 and 3:30 am and I would be rolling. "10.4" was the reply.

So, I was. and I rolled for New Hampshire, knowing that they wouldn't be open on thanksgiving day and while I'd be paid for the layover, still not worth missing family. But, the load paid $950 and as I support two households, I could use the money. Well, I get into Maryland and stop about 8am so I could get something to eat. Message on my tablet. "The customer will not be accepting anything until Monday. Return to terminal."

No shit. So, I went from a decent payday to a prorated payout for time driven. A little over $100 bucks. And, after I returned to the terminal, I picked up the same trailer to return home to reload for the same west Virginia customer. This meant that I wouldn't get home til thanksgiving day. I was up at 2am to leave so I could get home and spend time with the family, but I was naturally beat when I got home.

I didn't have a problem working over the thanksgiving holiday, I'm still one of the low men on the totem pole, and I get the runs that the senior drivers don't want. But, I lost out on a lot of money, and I lost out on time home with the family because the asshole dispatch didn't listen to what I was saying. I spent another night on the road when it wasn't necessary and could have been home with the family a day early.

And none of that included the aggravation of having to travel through the New York/Jersey/Boston corridor to get to the delivery point.

So when you see a driver that looks hollow-eyed and worn out, there's a reason he looks that way.

Last edited by rickshaw1; 11/27/20 07:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Ann Hebistand #994936 11/28/20 05:01 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
The one time I didn't like it was when Super Chicken took a hard blow to the head and developed amnesia. And his sidekick, Fred, exchanged costumes with Super Chicken to try to catch the villain. Almost all my anxieties and neuroses about unstable identities are rooted in that segment of Super Chicken. The producers really should have vetoed that script. A lot of supposedly "harmless" cartoons and comic books I saw as a kid disturbed me deeply. To allow that stuff to be seen by kids under 12 is tantamount to child abuse, in my opinion. A lot of the people who created that crap must have been really bitter and hated children.

You'd think that at my age, I'd have let go of this stuff a long time ago, but...I haven't.

But at least I'm fully aware of my problem.

Hopefully that means I'll get some closure someday before I die.

awareness is the first step, Fanfie. Big hugs.

rickshaw1 #994937 11/28/20 05:05 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by rickshaw1
I didn't have a problem working over the thanksgiving holiday, I'm still one of the low men on the totem pole, and I get the runs that the senior drivers don't want. But, I lost out on a lot of money, and I lost out on time home with the family because the asshole dispatch didn't listen to what I was saying. I spent another night on the road when it wasn't necessary and could have been home with the family a day early.

And none of that included the aggravation of having to travel through the New York/Jersey/Boston corridor to get to the delivery point.

So when you see a driver that looks hollow-eyed and worn out, there's a reason he looks that way.

i'm really sorry, Rick. sounds like asshole dispatch didn't even apologize... all I've driven are sedans and a family van, and 1.5 hours stuck in traffic used to drive me nuts, I can imagine that 10-11 hours driving a truck must be way tougher... so not cool how they treated you.

Invisible Brainiac #994938 11/28/20 09:09 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
i'm really sorry, Rick. sounds like asshole dispatch didn't even apologize...

You can bet your cotton socks that the dispatcher considers him/herself completely in the right, and is peeved that Rick couldn't bend the laws of physics so they could ease through their day. Because anything that challenges their day must be wrong.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Quislet, Esq #994952 11/28/20 07:17 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Rough time Rick. Assholes will be assholes. I cringe when I remember the occasions when I've been the asshole. Hopefully learning better.

On a side note it reminds me once when my wife was pissed off and declared that the world was full of assholes. I commented with a slight smile "I can't argue with that." She almost hit me in the head even though I was driving, but she did have a small smile on her face so I think it helped.

Quislet, Esq #995310 12/06/20 07:44 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Oh crap, Mary Bierbaum tested positive for COVID.

Quislet, Esq #995315 12/06/20 09:49 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
That sucks, Sarky. One of my co-workers is positive, too. On the heels of major surgery earlier in the fall, and a close relative who needed heart surgery.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Quislet, Esq #995326 12/07/20 02:45 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I have several family members who got it and recovered as well. Quite sobering. I've stopped seeing some acquaintances whom I know are being extremely reckless (i.e. joining parties in the woods)...

Quislet, Esq #995353 12/07/20 11:17 AM
Ibby, shake It's wild, isn't it?

A buddy of mine moved away from this neighborhood because she kept begging her roommates to stop bringing multiple folks over for parties and such... but they ignored her.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Quislet, Esq #995358 12/07/20 11:56 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Some people are just so inconsiderate.

One reason I've been so determined not to have any roommates, besides significant others. Just too much stress.

Quislet, Esq #995605 12/12/20 12:09 PM
One of the orgs which does a lot of business with ours is apparently going to have an in-person business convention in Cancun next month for its sales force.

I don't understand humanity. I really don't. shake

Maybe Cancun will build a wall. There's still time. scream

Quislet, Esq #995610 12/12/20 12:29 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Sigh. I also recently cut off someone who insists on attending illegal rave parties in the woods. He's absolutely not scared for COVID. Nope, keep yourself away from me.

Quislet, Esq #995767 12/16/20 09:48 PM
Nobody's Alt But Mine
Nobody's Alt But Mine
I'm only quoting the master of moaning, groaning, and venting here. Please don't take it too seriously.

("I Hate Christmas," - by that fellow who's like a Coluan, but more furry.)

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Cdqx1qFX8[/video]

"It's bad for you, but buy it."
Quislet, Esq #995768 12/17/20 03:26 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
My grandpa just died.

Quislet, Esq #995776 12/17/20 04:58 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
So sorry for your loss, Sarky.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Quislet, Esq #995782 12/17/20 05:17 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
So sorry, Sarky.

Quislet, Esq #995784 12/17/20 06:12 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
My condolences, Sarky.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Quislet, Esq #995788 12/17/20 12:49 PM
Aw, Sarky. I'm sorry. frown

Quislet, Esq #995789 12/17/20 01:23 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself.

Quislet, Esq #995796 12/17/20 07:05 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Sarky I am so sorry. I remember how you wrote about him earlier in the year and how much he obviously meant to you.

Words are often inadequate at times like this but I'm a wordy kind of guy so here goes anyway. I hope they are a tiny bit helpful.

In the longer term, based on your earlier comments, he is in a better place and you can look forward to seeing him again someday, something I do with a few special people I have lost. I like the phrase the Salvos use of someone being "promoted".

In the short term grief is the right response. Your loss is real and appropriate. I pray that you and your family find comfort in each other.

Quislet, Esq #995804 12/17/20 08:37 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Grandpa was the only grandfather I had in my life. My dad?s dad was nonexistent and when he died I didn?t care. From what I heard of him, I didn?t really like him.

Grandpa was the most consistent person in my immediate family. After Mom, Dad and Qhris left it was just me and him in this house.

Grandpa... I don?t know how to really describe him. He?d sometimes drive me to school when I was younger, and on vacations to Wildwood I?d prefer going home with him in his car so I could play my TV episodes recorded on cassettes. He?d sometimes drive to the store at Cross County during the summer. Pizza on Fridays was largely because of him. He?d been giving me and Qhris money every week for years as a sort of allowance, but we both stopped doing it a couple of years ago.

In these last few years I would spend most of my time in his part of the house, in his living room with my laptop. He?d be there, but we wouldn?t really talk. I knew he was there. I preferred the silence and knowing he was there.

I wasn?t always a good grandson, and in the last few years I felt myself getting more frustrated. I dunno. I dunno if I should?ve done more or if all I cared about was getting money and stability from him.

I don?t know

Quislet, Esq #995806 12/17/20 09:11 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm so sorry, Sarky. I know this is a profound loss for you. All relationships are imperfect, and regrets are often among our memories. But from what you've reported in other posts, it sounds like you and your Grandpa were there for each other through a lot, and I suspect he treasured you more than you can know. Remember and ponder what you gave to one another. From my experience of loss, I expect you'll be learning from this for a long time. I'll be remembering you.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
Quislet, Esq #995810 12/17/20 11:26 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I just feel tired. Drained. I only cried when I called Candle last night.

I don't have any energy to focus on finishing writing for anyone and I just want to splurge on myself, which I feel disgusted by because it's Christmas.

I spent the entire day sleeping except at 12:30 when my jackhole boss called, having not seen the email I sent saying I would not be in Friday because of what happened. As soon as he started bitching about a big spender who showed up at the store after I left because of the snow, I wanted to reach through the phone and snap his goddamn neck. It took everything I could to not keep screaming at him beyond "I REALLY DON'T HAVE THE ENERGY TO CARE ABOUT OMI BECAUSE MY GRANDPA DIED."

Page 44 of 58 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 57 58

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,213
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star