Roll Call
0 members (), 53 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by Nightcrawler - 05/15/24 07:48 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 05/15/24 07:24 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 05/15/24 07:12 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/15/24 07:02 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/15/24 05:45 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 15 May 24
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:57 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:44 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
Re: What I found today at my LCS!
rickshaw1 #989204 07/05/20 07:25 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by rickshaw1
New Teen Titans, #18. Marv and George do Russian Starfire. Comrade buddy Smash Pretty Gold girl with Column. Guess he really was a Colomnist.

Green Lantern #91, Hal Vs. Sinestro in clothes the dry cleaner rejected.

Green Lantern #126, Hal vs. The shark, or "Shark pops a squat on the dock!"
hahahahaa

hope you find the interiors as entertaining as I found your captions!

rickshaw1 #989233 07/05/20 03:12 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
They were pretty good. George and Marv's NTT was a good one. Turns out I had read it years ago but didnt remember it. Reading it brought back the magic that the book had back then that all too many books are unable to capture today.

The GL stuff was good, turned out there were two Shark stories. Never liked that particular villain, to much of a lesser ripoff of Gorilla Grodd to me.

The 80th anniversary GL stuff was good.

Talked about the Hawkman book at Hawkworld on facebook, not pc for todays stuff, but a little subversive as well, given that Shayera saves Katar (which all the hawkwomen have done through the character's history) and the villain turns out to be a bit of a switch.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #991175 08/16/20 01:52 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
So, this week's haul...

Justice League #50, current run. Hey, look, word balloons on a cover again. Neat.
Action Comics #600. Never had it. Looks like fun. First time they had supes and wondy gettin' down? On the cover anyway.
Superman Annual 3, 1991. Supes and Maxima gettin down. Redheads are smokin' hot, ain't they? Startin' to look like Supes is a hound dog.
Action Comics #594. Supes and Booster gettin' down? Rough time spanky spanky? Dunno, haven't read it.
Action Comics #596. Supes has specter drapped all over him. Nope. I'd have to nope outta there. Kinky, sure, unconventional? Sure. Necrophelia? Gonna have to take a definite pass on that one.

New Teen Titans, #'s 15, 24, and 29. New Titan-y goodness. You know, back when they were good and not endless retreads of reshuffles.
Tales of the New Teen Titans, #'s 60, 62, and 71. I think I might have had them in baxter form, but anything with Starfire's original costume....golden goodness.

Anyway, no new (old) legion, and no new legion either, LCS hasn't gotten it yet.

Ah well.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #991179 08/16/20 02:43 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
So, this week's haul...
Superman Annual 3, 1991. Supes and Maxima gettin down. Redheads are smokin' hot, ain't they? Startin' to look like Supes is a hound dog.

*GASP* One of the first DC stories I ever read, and still a sentimental favorite of mine. (FTR, Louise Simonson told me in person that it's one of her favorite stories she's written.) Good choice, Rick!

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
rickshaw1 #991182 08/16/20 04:05 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Thanks, Ann. Yeah, I've been lucky with my LCS lately. They've been getting a lot of older stuff in. I hope it isn't because people are desperate for money during these times, but I'm glad to get them. Got a lot of bronze and silver age JL stuff a few weeks ago, but haven't had a chance to go through them. But I'm not complaining, they are still waiting for me to read. Got through today's stuff. Pretty good. Funnily enough, it was the Titan's 71 ghost story I liked best. Had to stop from the headache, though.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #991196 08/16/20 08:40 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I have all those Superman books. I really enjoyed the Adventures of Superman Annual with Maxima as well, a good what if/might have been tragically sweet story.

Action Comics #594 with Booster ends on a cliffhanger continued in Booster Gold #23. Spoilers below if you are curious (although the answer is fairly obvious to a regular comic reader)
The Booster bad mouthing Supes and beating him up is an android/robot created by Lex Luthor and containing his kryptonite signet ring to weaken Supes. The real Booster defeats/smashes the robot and a few still on edge comments are passed between the heroes before another villain attacks, sends the ring back to Luthor and then loses in a way designed to implicate Booster in the attack. Superman isn't fooled but it is enough to lower Booster's public cred anyway,.

rickshaw1 #991478 08/23/20 03:31 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Very cool, Stile. I have that old Booster, but haven't read it since I bought it originally.

So, this week...

Nightwing 73. Biden over his shoulder creepy... Anyway...Le Sigh...Jurgens was doing a good job cleaning up the bullet to the head mess, and then this shite came along. Can they just leave him out of these endless batman things, quit servicing the Bat and let him be his own man again. Honestly, every time there's a universal reboot, he devolves into the bat family even more. And honestly, i'm sexually intercoursing tired of joker. Really.

Aquaman 62, or should I say, the Black Manta family chronicles. Ready for this storyline, and the royal soap opera, to be over with as well. It's an okay interlude before they close shop on the book/character/iteration, but this book had come so far before this repeat retread of him being/giving up the crown/former monarch. Try something new, people.

Legion of Super-hero's 7 and 8. I honestly don't recognize these characters. Rokk's a whiner, Mon is..a whiner. Cham is idiotic. I get that he's supposed to be alien, but c'mon. He comes off dumber than how they used to play T-wolf. And lets not get into that character. Yeah, go ahead, make him over into wolverine. I haven't read that character in 20 years and now you gonna do it too my favorite Legion character?

Action Comics 546, guest-starring the Legion and the real Teen Titans. Gil Kane on art and Marv on story. Good story, fast wind up, realllllly short epi.

Last Days of the Justice Society of America. Okay, Roy did his best to send them off in grand style, and it should have been epic. I don't feel the artist and inker were together on the art, and it was the sendoff, at the time, of my second favorite group of all time. So that probably colored things for me, but there you have it. Not the best haul for vintage books, and not the best haul for new stuff. Every week can't be a winner, folks.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #992337 09/13/20 06:57 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Small haul this week, but I think a good one.

Teen Titans #32, Ghost lady makes octodragon eat Wally and Mal. Talk about fast food.
Teen Titans 352, the Kids get all punchy with the mentors and there's a lot of open mouths. Getting punched. Talk about needing dental work.
Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes #232 Superboy once again shocked with light coming out oh his face and Saturn Girl once again falling out.
Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes #255... Rokk Does The Time Warp Ahhhh giiinnnnnn!
The Flash #260 Barry is once again confused by the same guy doing different things in different places at different times. Chews his gloved fingernail again. Talk about nervous ocd.
The Flash #312 "We're havin' a heat wave....a double heat wave...the temperature's risin', Barry's flash fryin'...."
Justice League #53, Death Metal. Who the hell knows? This book hasn't made sense in about a year and a half. DC is falling into the "needlessly and incomprehensibly convoluted bovine fecal matter" range once again. Instead of Didio not steering the ship, who knows who is now, but they are just as disorganized as he was.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #992341 09/14/20 04:28 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Justice League #53, Death Metal. Who the hell knows? This book hasn't made sense in about a year and a half. DC is falling into the "needlessly and incomprehensibly convoluted bovine fecal matter" range once again. Instead of Didio not steering the ship, who knows who is now, but they are just as disorganized as he was.

Jim Lee.

rickshaw1 #992517 09/20/20 12:21 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Well, Lee didn't impress me at marvel, wildstorm, or dc so far. It may be that he'll turn out great, clean up the crapfest that has been dc event continuity, and go on to return DC to greatness. We'll see.

So, this week,

The Aquaman 100 page giant #4. Haven't read it, think it was the wahmert version. Could be wrong.

And now...drum roll please...Silver Age...Flash. Yup, another short week because my lcs moves vintage, classic DC fastern' exlax through a goose. No new (old) legion for me. ON the other hand...I liked the silver age flash, so...

Flash #221, or... Holy Vibrator, Flashman! Guest starring in a backup feature, Green Lantern.

Flash #247, Now Monthly! Two flashes Vs. Avader Kadave....um Abbra Kadadadoya! Jay Garrick-y goodness.

Flash #258, Great Shades of Crisis Death Preview, Elvis! Yup, it looks just like they took this cover and made it Barry's death in Crisis. Vs. Blackhand, of all villians.

Flash #271, also known as the ubiquitous Rocky cover. I never had this issue before this, never saw it in person, even, but that cover of Barry standing in front of a mirror holdin a tux while rock was fused into his body and telling him to hurry up not knowing...was everyfreakin'where! Looking forward to it.

And finally, Flash #279, Clive Yorkin, the Parasite of the Flash Comics.

Good news is, these should be... quick... reads.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #992519 09/20/20 01:50 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Well, Lee didn't impress me at marvel, wildstorm, or dc so far. It may be that he'll turn out great, clean up the crapfest that has been dc event continuity, and go on to return DC to greatness. We'll see.

And maybe a flying Super-Pig will join the Legion of Super-Pets.

Flash #258, Great Shades of Crisis Death Preview, Elvis! Yup, it looks just like they took this cover and made it Barry's death in Crisis. Vs. Blackhand, of all villians.
Gruesome! I think that stayed in Mr Wolfman's mind.

Flash #271, also known as the ubiquitous Rocky cover. I never had this issue before this, never saw it in person, even, but that cover of Barry standing in front of a mirror holdin a tux while rock was fused into his body and telling him to hurry up not knowing...was everyfreakin'where! Looking forward to it.

Never mind asking Iris to hep you with a splinter! Call an ambulance!

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
rickshaw1 #993920 11/01/20 06:52 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Very nice, Mal. Thoth, yes, that was the series with Captain Comet. 17 pages per issue of supreme whiplash extreme crazy.

Well, folks, pretty small haul this week. Got offered an original Legion of Super-Hero's, #4. The four issue reprint series of adventure stories. Anyway, I already have it, so I said no. But, the guys at my LCS know me and my pursuit of Legion stuff, so it was very cool they offered.

Anyway, Legion of Super-hero's alternative storyline from earth Bendis #10. Seemed like a lot went on, and yet, not much seemed to happen. Good art. Six-armed Dr. Fate seemed cool.

Justice League of America #166, or, Reddy the android gets rendered unconscious, again, so much so they talk about it in the actual storyline. Poor Z. Turns out her new outfit kinda stunk, and I hated it compared to her original. Great character that has kinda been lost over the years. Oh, and the SSS-V shows up in this issue as well, but without Comet in tow. That storyline and the SSS-V highlighted the new outfit for the Wizard, but I didn't go for it as much as I liked his original. Yeah, I know, I'm old, stodgy, and like the real thing, and don't like changes. Eh, whatchagonna do?

Action Comics 473. Man-hating Karen from Krypton and a bunch of balding dudes from same show up while ghost batman seems chipper. I swear the guys were on LSD sometimes while writing this stuff.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #993926 11/01/20 08:16 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I remember that JLA tale, where they swap ID's with the heroes. I quite liked that one. Identity Crisis mined it as the foundation of its plot. Not a series I recall fondly.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
rickshaw1 #994415 11/15/20 03:21 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Well folks, this week was a big bag of nothing. No new books for me, and since Carol and Sam were in the car, no time to peruse the back issue bins. So, what did all ya'll get?

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #994443 11/16/20 02:59 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I picked up a little set of self published UK comics in A5 format from 2015. I liked it enough to get the missing number 1. As I did that, it turns out they're having a Kickstarter to complete the story. Nice timing.

rickshaw1 #994878 11/26/20 04:15 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Very cool, Thoth.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #996192 12/27/20 11:00 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Not had the time or money to look for older stuff lately, and the new stuff...welll

anyway.

Aquaman. Really not digging the current issues with the writing. Arthur seems secondary in his own book. Art is great, though.

Nightwing 77. Seems like the "bullet to the head" stuff is over. But the smaltz of this issue kinda turned me off.

Green Lantern 10. Guess this story is coming to an end with a new book and writer that hates Hal. I mean really hates him.

Between Death meddle, Endless whiner, and all the other "events"... reading less and less.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #996195 12/27/20 11:16 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Since I can't get to a local comic shop...

Comixology had the Marvel Masterworks available for buttons. I picked up the first 2 Avengers, Thor, Shield, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man and X-Men. 80 comics for less than a tenner.

Which incoming writer hates Hal? (seems very odd to let them near the property)

rickshaw1 #996202 12/27/20 01:09 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Geoff Thorne. The new book is going to star John Stewart.

rickshaw1 #996211 12/27/20 02:22 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Not someone I've read anything of. I hope his Hal Hate doesn't lead into anything nuts, like him being the killer of millions or anything.

rickshaw1 #997805 01/30/21 06:30 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Okay, so I finally got to my LCS today. Picked up Legion 12. Umm. Hmmm. It was...certainly busy.

By accident, since I didn't see the Future State label on it til I got home, Shazam. I gotta say, I've pretty much had it with the depressing, joyless, more horrible than the last futures that DC keeps churning out. Jesus Christ, can't there be any fun or joy anymore? I had not planned to get any of the Future State stuff, and still don't.

Firestorm #2...THE ORIGINAL RUN. Conway and Milgrom, guest starring Superman. Hot DAMN! Look at that, a character that, while having some crisis' of confidence at times, still finds joy and fun. Hmmmm.

And now, the rest of my rather ... Flashy... get.

All silver age here...

Flash #209. Cary Bates writes, the fantastic Irv Novick draws. Back when Flash was about fun. Writers kept coming up with different wacky things for him to get through, using his powers in varied ways. Boomer and Trickster on the cover, but really, the interior story was funked up. and some of that art was very out there. But on page five, the black and white barrier and the art/coloring effect... dang, didn't know they could do anything like that in comics way back when.

Flash 215, Hey, Joan was still a babe. Vandal gets Savaged.

Flashes 222, 223,225, 238, 242, 251, 258, 268, and finally, 272. Whewh. That's a lot of flashing.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #997840 01/31/21 04:50 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Awesome, Rick.

I don't have Firestorm v.1 #2, but I do have Firestorm v.1 #5, the rematch with Multiplex. I honestly dislike Milgrom's style of drawing, but him being co-creator of Firestorm makes up for a lot of his artistic sins. And Conway was at his best there (and on the first 7 issues of Firestorm v.2 as well.)

I wish there were more affordable full-color reprints of Silver Age Flash and Bronze Age Flash, especially the early Cary Bates/70s era. I've read all four of the Showcase volumes (thank you, public library system) and I own the Elongated Man Showcase volume (which reprints not only all his short solo stories from the 60s, but also all the 60s Flash stories in which he guest-starred.)

rickshaw1 #997851 01/31/21 11:46 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Always a bit awkward discussing Rick's flashing smile

#215 was probably the first older Flash I remember getting. I don't remember the story, so I'm guessing it was a favourite. Adams cover would have been a draw through.

#222 is a fun cover. Fortunately, we could all stop concentrating by 1985, when they bumped the Flash off. There are lots of good Flash covers to catch the readers' attention. #258 is another gruesome Black Hand one.

By the time #268 was around, I guess that speculation prices for back issues were already reaching silly levels, and Barry, Ted and Alan end up fighting over a golden age comic.

Milgrom and Broderick aren't my favourite Firestorm artists. But the writing, as Rick says, looked to bring out the fun in the character. Conway said that here you had a character who tried to leave behind the troubles of their every day life, by getting enjoyment out of being a super hero.

rickshaw1 #997883 01/31/21 05:58 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I've been a "flasher" since I was a kid. Cheeky of me, I know.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1000015 03/21/21 10:53 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Yesterday's haul...

Green Lantern #12. Hal out. whimper whimper whimper. No bang. Disappointing. Guess this clears the way for the new GL book written by the Hal hater. *Not my interpretation, his sentiments.

Nightwing #78. Clean art, decent story that gives Dick some closure as well as making sure he can keep getting his wonderful gadgets.

Nightwing Future State 2. Accidental pick up. Haven't read it.

Shazam Future State 2. Got the first by accident, grabbed this one to have the whole story. Haven't read it yet.

Return of the New Gods #19. Gerry Conway and Don Newton. Now'er is the Hour!

Batman, #267 and 269. David Reed and Ernie Chua. Great art and excellent, single issue mysteries. A fine skill now lost this day and age.

The Brave and the Bold #165. Batman and Manbat. Livin' life by the nostalgic drop.

Wish there were more books from the now for me to get. Would love to have more moolah for the older stuff. eh, such is life.

Something pithy!
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,335
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires