Roll Call
1 members (stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86), 12 Murran Spies, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 04/25/24 11:29 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 04/25/24 11:26 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 04/25/24 08:03 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/25/24 06:56 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Gaseous Lad - 04/25/24 01:27 PM
DC/Marvel Crossovers to be collected in 2024
by Ann Hebistand - 04/25/24 08:21 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 64 of 64 1 2 62 63 64
Re: Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
idle #1034374 03/05/24 03:33 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Originally Posted by idle
I personally would like two (or more) ongoing series.

1. The Legion - preferably fully formed or reformed and not spend tome building the team. Ideally for me this team would include members from the Original, reboot and retroboot teams. My comcept is basically retroboot team encounters the (remaining) "Wandering 247" team. this would allow the vast majority of members in some form or other. Since they were travelling the multiverse, they could pick up any spare characters. I would like to see Kono again and did like Spider-Girl's heroic turn although I would keep her as Wave. As for the Threeboot, I also feel like the future was off and didn't feel right. (I think it was the whole eat it Grandpa/youth rebellion aspect.) Oddly, I would love to see more of the side characters. Theena would have to join the team, but I would have liked to see more of the Wanderers. This encounter could be told in a series of flashbacks over numerous issues or an annual. The main point is hit the ground running and move forward.

2. An anthology series: This could have stories from all the different iterations (and even some new ones). It would allow us to see the Wandering by the Reboot Legion or more threeboot stuff whether legion or other characters. This would be mainly stories either set before the new Legion #1 (what would that be, 9 now?) or in alternate universes and unassociated with the current series. The point is that the two series should complement each other but not be required for each other. Any stories in the new continuity that don't work in the main series could be done as specials or miniseries (Kind of like Science Police. I didn't think that series was the best but I enjoyed the concept of the Ringers.)

That's what would be my ideal but I don't know how financially viable it would be.

I love both of these ideas.

The Anthology series I've always liked because you can have a Showcase style of a Legion focused book, then have an annual that brings different aspects of different teams together.

Interested in the Post-Zero Hour Reboot Legion? Check out:

The Reboot Legion Timeline

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Rob-Em #1034375 03/05/24 03:36 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Originally Posted by Rob-Em
Wall of text commence. Just some thoughts.

1. Respect the property’s past – even the corny bits – but tell NEW stories.

2. Pick a continuity as the foundation and fold in appropriate elements from the others. Treat the amalgam as though it’s always been that way. My preference would be the Adventure Comics continuity as the foundation with concepts and characters from the Reboot/Threeboot/Retroboot added – specifically having characters unique to a particular continuity, like Gates, be Legionnaires without in-story fanfare. I personally endorse keeping some of the diversity added later (Asian Cosmic Boy, black Star Boy) again treated as though it's always been that way.

3. Write a series bible to keep track of the seminal stories and personal events that are a part of the amalgam continuity’s history. DON’T obsess over making everything fit or explaining every discrepancy and contradiction. DON’T retell old stories. Use continuity for texture, character development, or as a NEW story generator.

4. Present 31st century Earth and the United Planets as a society that is peaceful, prosperous diverse and just for most people most of the time.

5. Have the membership be a mixture of young adults (mid-20s) and teens. Retain the maturity attained by the Adventure era Legionnaires during Levitz’s 1980s tenure and use the newer characters for the teen (and reader) POV.

6. Embrace the large cast – including non-super, non-familial supporting characters – and the expansive, exotic world(s) of the 31st century.

7. Engage the consultancy of a futurist to help advance 31st century technology beyond 1950s science fiction concepts.

8. Have Clark Kent be a member both in the past (as Superboy) and in the present (as Superman) – not only in BIG stories or crossover events but as a part-time member who occasionally spends a few days hanging with old friends and helping out.

9. Avoid stories in which the Legion travels to the past to “save” the future.

10. Have fun.

All of these points are great. And be careful with the "crossovers" so as to only do them with Clark. I can see an editor getting greedy and start putting the Legion into the annual crossover du jour.

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

DrakeB3004 #1034377 03/05/24 08:12 PM
Wanderer
Online Content
Wanderer
Some great discussion and ideas here, keep it up - even if it is sort of side-tracking the thread from reporting Legion sightings.

Two items:
- for anyone who missed it in the recent discussions, the Fourboot Legion (I prefer not to name it after the writer) has recently appeared in Green Arrow #3-5, mostly as side characters with Brainiac 5 being the only one to have a significant contribution since it involves time travel. Also the Durlan design has also been appearing in Green Lantern War Journal (John Stewart) since the current UP leader is a Durlan and one of his relatives was made a Green Lantern in the reorganised UP Corps.

- Blue Beetle #7 has a cover featuring several original legionnaires flying past in the background (as was teased over recent months) and, inside the issue, the time travelling Blue Beetle (Jaime) with Booster Gold have 3 pages joining in a fight between the 5YL Legion and BION. Featured are Kent Shakespeare, Laurel Gand, Devlin O'Ryan, and ... ? ... a red-headed woman who tries to trap BION in an energy web? I think it's meant to be Celeste Rockfish but in human form using green energy except the colour looks more yellow. (Oh and towards the end Jaime comes face to face with ... Jonni DC, the Continuity Cop(!) who complains about Jaime's various origins and mentions going on to talk to Huntress - again. Apparently the Legion situation is beneath their notice.)
(EDIT: I had missed that this is a Keith Giffen tribute issue which explains why 5YL Legion along with JLI and Lobo in the story.)

Combining that with the recent brief appearance of the original/retroboot Legion in JSA that means that we have recently seen at least three different versions of the Legion in various comics. So it looks to me like either no-one is co-ordinating Legion appearances and writers are doing whatever they like - or someone is encouraging all versions to appear for some reason. After all as they keep telling us since the last crisis, everything is in continuity.

Last edited by stile86; 03/05/24 08:59 PM. Reason: grammar yay - more info
DrakeB3004 #1034381 03/05/24 08:38 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
So, I actually lean towards the Anthology approach. I want to see all of the different versions of the Legion, from the Adventure #247 version to the SA Adult Legion to the various versions from LSH #300 to Earth-1985 to the post-Crisis team to the Glortihverse to the Reboot to Superboy's Legion to the Threeboot to the Animated Team to the Retroboot to the Bendis Version. And a bunch more cool takes on the team we've never even seen yet. The Legion of Earth-Quality which is inspired by Wonder Boy. A Legion of Earth-S that is inspired by Mary Marvel. The Super-Sexy Adventurers of the 2940s. Legion: The Next Generation featuring Graym, et al. Continue all of their stories, and have them meet and interact regularly, though not in multiversal Crisis-type events. Gibe different creative teams the chance to experiment and have fun with it. And then if one or more versions prove particularly popular, spin them off into their own series.

stile86 #1034386 03/05/24 09:32 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by stile86
Some great discussion and ideas here, keep it up - even if it is sort of side-tracking the thread from reporting Legion sightings.

Two items:
- for anyone who missed it in the recent discussions, the Fourboot Legion (I prefer not to name it after the writer) has recently appeared in Green Arrow #3-5, mostly as side characters with Brainiac 5 being the only one to have a significant contribution since it involves time travel. Also the Durlan design has also been appearing in Green Lantern War Journal (John Stewart) since the current UP leader is a Durlan and one of his relatives was made a Green Lantern in the reorganised UP Corps.

- Blue Beetle #7 has a cover featuring several original legionnaires flying past in the background (as was teased over recent months) and, inside the issue, the time travelling Blue Beetle (Jaime) with Booster Gold have 3 pages joining in a fight between the 5YL Legion and BION. Featured are Kent Shakespeare, Laurel Gand, Devlin O'Ryan, and ... ? ... a red-headed woman who tries to trap BION in an energy web? I think it's meant to be Celeste Rockfish but in human form using green energy except the colour looks more yellow. (Oh and towards the end Jaime comes face to face with ... Jonni DC, the Continuity Cop(!) who complains about Jaime's various origins and mentions going on to talk to Huntress - again. Apparently the Legion situation is beneath their notice.)
(EDIT: I had missed that this is a Keith Giffen tribute issue which explains why 5YL Legion along with JLI and Lobo in the story.)

Combining that with the recent brief appearance of the original/retroboot Legion in JSA that means that we have recently seen at least three different versions of the Legion in various comics. So it looks to me like either no-one is co-ordinating Legion appearances and writers are doing whatever they like - or someone is encouraging all versions to appear for some reason. After all as they keep telling us since the last crisis, everything is in continuity.

Stile all I can say is that in regard to Blue Beetle, the FYL Legion was used because Josh Trujillo specifically wanted to focus on the era that was more Keith-specific, compared to the 80s Baxter era with Levitz. Kent, Laurel, Celeste, Devlin, and BION were all characters he created.

DrakeB3004 #1034396 03/06/24 03:15 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I would love an anthology, and I think it could work - all they need is a little introduction about multiple Earths, and off we go

each story could also have an intro about that particular Legion, and what makes it unique from the others

DrakeB3004 #1034406 03/06/24 11:21 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
I agree - I've heard people float the concept for years now, and I think its a great idea.

Maybe even do it quarterly at first, like Showcase.

Last edited by Gaseous Lad; 03/06/24 11:22 AM.

DrakeB3004 #1034421 03/07/24 12:18 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I don't understand why it has to be so hard. I don't understand what is so difficult to grasp about the concept.

I've been saying it for years, but DC seems to use up more effort to avoid admitting there are actually problems to fix with their books compared to what it'd take to ACTUALLY FIX THEM. There shouldn't HAVE to be a discussion about how to reintroduce the Legion because of over a decades worth of screw-ups and editorial mismanagement. There shouldn't HAVE to be so much effort needed to justify why there should be a Legion book at all. And readers shouldn't have to rely on crumbs from a writer most of us have hated for years because another writer managed to screw up worse than a combined 40 years of cancelled titles.

You know what my greatest desire at the moment is, as someone who wants the chance to write the Legion professionally? A slot in either a Halloween anthology or a holiday anthology. I'm not interested in doing my own "Great Darkness" or "Legion Lost." I shouldn't have to feel that I need to pitch "MY" Legion when I just want to write the Legion.

I don't think it's fair to Dan Didio was allowed to leave behind the mess he made at DC for others to clean up, just like it wasn't fair for Brian Bendis to do what he did to the Legion and leave. It shouldn't have to fall on the shoulders of other writers to clean up someone else's mess, and I'm tired of how it feels like that's all mainstream comics are. A never ending cycle of half-completed clean up jobs that get passed around, to the point no one ever gets to really... write.

DrakeB3004 #1034654 03/14/24 03:07 PM
A
Substitute
Substitute
A
Modern-day Naltor will show up in a story within DC Pride 2024.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/al-ewing-joins-dc-comics-with-dc-pride-2024/

Unrelated, but Al Ewing's first DC story will be in there as well. I hope there are more in the future...

DrakeB3004 #1035036 03/28/24 03:57 PM
A
Substitute
Substitute
A
DC's new softcover bookstore line DC Finest will debut at the end of the year, and the classic Legion are set to be a part of it:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/details-of-dc-finest-dc-comics-version-of-marvels-epic-line/

DC Finest: Legion of Super-Heroes
$39.99 US On sale Dec 10, 2024 | 505 Pages
A major new line of DC collected editions begins with the earliest stories starring the Legion of Super-Heroes! DC Finest: The Legion of Super-Heroes collects all the tales that make the it the perfect fit for any fan or new reader!

DC Finest is intended to be "affordably priced" (at 500 pages for $40) so maybe this could be an opportunity to get collections of old Legion stories into people's hands without burning half a paycheck.

DrakeB3004 #1035037 03/28/24 04:22 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Interesting that they seem to be doing the Cockrum/Grell era rather than yet another reprinting of the Adventure stories.

I'm all in for the JSA volume, though.

Eryk Davis Ester #1035039 03/28/24 04:38 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
Interesting that they seem to be doing the Cockrum/Grell era rather than yet another reprinting of the Adventure stories.

I'm all in for the JSA volume, though.

What I don't understand is why they wouldn't start out with Cockrum's first story, instead of preceding it with a big bunch of the stories leading up to it. They're not well drawn at all, and this could cause a lot of potential readers to pass on the trade.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
DrakeB3004 #1035040 03/28/24 05:09 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
That's actually interesting - I don't think it will completely cover the gap, but there are a LOT of 70s stories not collected in any hardcover outside the archives.

Gaseous Lad #1035041 03/28/24 05:24 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Gaseous Lad
That's actually interesting - I don't think it will completely cover the gap, but there are a LOT of 70s stories not collected in any hardcover outside the archives.

Not to sound overly negative, but I think the vast majority of 70s Legion stories are just not good reading -- even the first two Cockrum stories (Superboy 184 and 188) have eye-rollingly dumb scripts (Tenzil "eating" a death ray!) Of course, everyone has the right to make up their own mind, but I'm just trying to look at it from the point of view of potential new readers. I still think DC missed the boat by not starting with Cockrum's third story (Superboy 190.) That one has Tharok and Validus, loads of action, and Imra shining.

DrakeB3004 #1035064 03/29/24 08:23 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Don't disagree at all - I'm looking at it from a "completist" perspective viz a viz the hardcover collections. The fact that there are large gaps from an Omni perspective of that early 70s era as well as most of the 80s outside of GDS, inclusive of the Baxter series.

DrakeB3004 #1035065 03/29/24 08:59 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Yeah, I'm wondering if this is a sign that we are getting these in lieu of Brinze Age omnibuses.

I'd just like get complete reprints in the same format.

DrakeB3004 #1035561 04/16/24 10:29 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
We got Legion crumbs in Superman #13, people!

While Brainiac is interrogating Livewire, he muses that her powers are similar to "the beasts who inhabit Winath's moons."

And Supergirl says later "Once upon a future, I was close to *a* Brainiac."

Last edited by Sarcasm Kid; 04/16/24 10:38 AM.
DrakeB3004 #1035577 04/17/24 03:33 PM
A
Substitute
Substitute
A
On that note, and I'm not sure if it was mentioned yet, but Wonder Woman #7 has Diana and Superman buying a gift for Batman in a space mall. It is a fairly goofy issue, with a silly tone, but there are numerous Legion planets mentioned.

I probably forgot a few, but the highlights:
- The Real Housewives of Bismol are in a gossip magazine (Wonder Woman: "Oh my. They should not have eaten that")
- The Treaty of Braal stipulates that, without parking validation, your spacecraft will be seized and sold to the Khund Empire for use in their current forever war.
- The Treaty of Rimbor stipulates that, if you misplace your parking validation, both you and your spacecraft will be seized and sold to the Khund Empire for use in their next forever war.

DrakeB3004 #1035581 04/18/24 02:17 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
loving these little bits!

DrakeB3004 #1035592 04/19/24 04:18 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
[Linked Image]

Attached Images KneelBeforeZod7solicit.jpg

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
DrakeB3004 #1035598 04/19/24 11:13 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
interesting!

DrakeB3004 #1035604 04/19/24 10:08 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
This isn't from DC, but Image is releasing a comic called Free Agents from Busiek and Nicieza that seems VERY Legion coded. It makes me wonder if this was another retooled Legion pitch that Didio shot down in the '10s.

Sarcasm Kid #1035608 04/20/24 06:47 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Sarcasm Kid
This isn't from DC, but Image is releasing a comic called Free Agents from Busiek and Nicieza that seems VERY Legion coded. It makes me wonder if this was another retooled Legion pitch that Didio shot down in the '10s.

I just did some research on Free Agents. It looks okay, but nothing I'd spend money on. Unless maybe it was Nicieza without Busiek. But even then...

To end this on a positive note, Nicieza has a successful ongoing series of prose novels, darkly funny mysteries about a suburban detective. So I'm happy for him.

Page 64 of 64 1 2 62 63 64

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,941
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires