Roll Call
0 members (), 24 Murran Spies, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 04/25/24 11:29 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 04/25/24 11:26 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 04/25/24 08:03 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/25/24 06:56 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Gaseous Lad - 04/25/24 01:27 PM
DC/Marvel Crossovers to be collected in 2024
by Ann Hebistand - 04/25/24 08:21 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 20 1 2 18 19 20
Re: My Big-Ass Pile o'Trades Waiting To Be Read At My Whim
Lard Lad #1007489 09/24/21 05:59 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Lardy
Read Since Last Update
Incredible Hulk by PAD Omnibus Vols 1 & 2

Penny for your thoughts?

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Ann Hebistand #1007955 10/05/21 04:32 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
Originally Posted by Lardy
Read Since Last Update
Incredible Hulk by PAD Omnibus Vols 1 & 2

Penny for your thoughts?

Somewhat surprisingly, I think I preferred Vol. 1 over Vol. 2. Even though the art in Vol. 2 was overall superior with Dale Keown being the main contributor, I just found the gray Hulk to be so much more interesting than the merged Hulk during this fresh revisiting of the material. Now, it may be that the best is yet to come in Vol. 3, especially as we get deeper into the Pantheon era, but the nuances gray Hulk and Banner were missed. (This is not to say that Vol. 2 sucked by any means, btw.) I anticipate getting to Vol. 3 in the next few months, so we'll see where it lands.....

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lard Lad #1007966 10/05/21 06:37 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Thanks, Lardy. Maybe I'm just too much of an art snob, but I really think that Jeff Purves's art in the Las Vegas era dragged down the stories somewhat (relatively speaking, of course, because PAD's scripts were consistently excellent, but still...)

I won't spoil anything about Volume 3 other than to say that it has some of my favorite PAD Hulk stories and some of the best art of Gary Frank's entire career. I think the best issues are 413 through 418.

Lard Lad #1011825 01/27/22 05:31 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Got this month's DCBS shipment and the FIRST thing I read was the fourth trade for SIKTC... SO good. It gets me up to issue 20, and tells Erica's backstory. Can't wait for the next book!

The other trade item I got was DEPARTMENT OF TRUTH vol. 1. I flipped through it and put it down for now; it felt like a bit of a slog getting into, and I'll wait until I'm in a better headspace to give it the attention it needs.

Pov #1012525 02/26/22 06:22 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Pov
Got this month's DCBS shipment and the FIRST thing I read was the fourth trade for SIKTC... SO good. It gets me up to issue 20, and tells Erica's backstory. Can't wait for the next book!

Definitely a good series and probably better in trade form. The individual issues are often over too fast while feeling decompressed. Almost like it's 8-10 minutes of a good episode of a suspenseful series before going into a commercial break. (That's somewhat of an exaggeration, as some issues are fuller than others--but it's close.) I imagine the trades feel like a whole episode of something like Stranger Things and just as satisfying.

The other trade item I got was DEPARTMENT OF TRUTH vol. 1. I flipped through it and put it down for now; it felt like a bit of a slog getting into, and I'll wait until I'm in a better headspace to give it the attention it needs.

I read the first issue, finally, last week, as I'm taking a trade break to dive into my floppy backlog. The first issue does a great job of setting up the premise, and the identity reveal at the end felt pretty inspired. We'll see how it goes with subsequent issues.

Both are James Tynion books, which get pretty much an automatic try-out from me. That said, his fantasy-adjacent Wynd failed to interest me at all and topped it off with a weak cliffhanger. I'm glad I read that one before putting it on the pull list.

Lard Lad #1012528 02/26/22 07:08 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
So here's a First World Comic Snob dilemma.....Recently, I've been thinking about getting a better copy of From Hell. My current copy was from eBay and is basically just a secondhand worn phonebook-style book with fairly flimsy pages. I'm torn between 2 hardcover options: one in B&W, as originally presented, and a new colorized "Master Edition". Normally, I'd make a hard pass on something newly colored in favor of the original black and white, but the Master Edition's colors were done by From Hell artist Eddie Campbell himself. I'm still leaning B&W, which is also $10 cheaper, but the choice is harder than it would be under other circumstanes.

From Hell, btw, if you have never read it, has emerged as probably my favorite work written by Alan Moore. Fick feels the same way, IIRC, and we discussed that work either on this thread or another one a couple of years or so ago.

Lard Lad #1012529 02/26/22 07:12 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Paladin
Both are James Tynion books, which get pretty much an automatic try-out from me. That said, his fantasy-adjacent Wynd failed to interest me at all and topped it off with a weak cliffhanger. I'm glad I read that one before putting it on the pull list.

Like a spiral on the wynd,
I can hear it screaming in my mind
LONG LIVE ROCK AND ROLL
LONG LIVE ROCK AND ROLL

https://youtu.be/sLN8lHBBKck

Oh. Sorry. blush

Lard Lad #1012530 02/26/22 07:13 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
So here's a First World Comic Snob dilemma.....Recently, I've been thinking about getting a better copy of From Hell. My current copy was from eBay and is basically just a secondhand worn phonebook-style book with fairly flimsy pages. I'm torn between 2 hardcover options: one in B&W, as originally presented, and a new colorized "Master Edition". Normally, I'd make a hard pass on something newly colored in favor of the original black and white, but the Master Edition's colors were done by From Hell artist Eddie Campbell himself. I'm still leaning B&W, which is also $10 cheaper, but the choice is harder than it would be under other circumstanes.

From Hell, btw, if you have never read it, has emerged as probably my favorite work written by Alan Moore. Fick feels the same way, IIRC, and we discussed that work either on this thread or another one a couple of years or so ago.

Hang on a sec, Lardy, I'll go have a look at my copy.

Ann Hebistand #1012532 02/26/22 07:19 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar

Hang on a sec, Lardy, I'll go have a look at my copy.

Okay, I'm back. My copy is a B&W hardcover, ISBN 978-1-60309-397-2, cover-priced at $39.99. I think it's the most perfect version ever published, though I can see how the prospect of Eddie Campbell coloring the story would be attractive. My 2p, anyway.

Ann Hebistand #1012533 02/26/22 07:28 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Okay, I'm back. My copy is a B&W hardcover, ISBN 978-1-60309-397-2, cover-priced at $39.99. I think it's the most perfect version ever published, though I can see how the prospect of Eddie Campbell coloring the story would be attractive. My 2p, anyway.

Yeah, that's the exact one I'm leaning toward. It also has a beautiful red-hued cityscape on the cover!

I don't know if this was ever a really serious internal debate, but Eddie's involvement made it worth some thought. I'm definitely not that guy anymore who won't touch B&W books! And I think the original format is just too classic and suitable for the subject matter.

Lard Lad #1012534 02/26/22 07:33 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar

Yeah, that's the exact one I'm leaning toward. It also has a beautiful red-hued cityscape on the cover!

I don't know if this was ever a really serious internal debate, but Eddie's involvement made it worth some thought. I'm definitely not that guy anymore who won't touch B&W books! And I think the original format is just too classic and suitable for the subject matter.

Agreed 100 percent. And in the last few years, I've become a major fan of Eddie's solo work, especially "Alec: How to Be an Artist," "The Fate of the Artist," and "The Goat Getters."

Lard Lad #1012535 02/26/22 07:43 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Now, I'm trying to figure out where we discussed From Hell on this board.... hmmm

Lard Lad #1012536 02/26/22 07:48 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Now, I'm trying to figure out where we discussed From Hell on this board.... hmmm

Et voila!

http://legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=844476#Post844476

Lard Lad #1012584 02/28/22 01:18 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive

Sounds as though you're leaning towards the colour version. Which is what I'd get. Especially if you've already got a B&W copy.

I think I have the not so floppy original floppies of however many issues there were. Lots of notes in the back if my memory cell is working. Mind you, if I start thinking an Aardvark did the killings, I'm confusing it with the long text pieces in Cerebus.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Lard Lad #1012589 02/28/22 02:32 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
I picked up the FROM HELL and Its Companion box set a while back. The Companion is basically Campbell's recollections and notes from Moore's original communications with him. Interesting and serviceable enough that it's probably all I'll ever need.

Lard Lad #1012590 02/28/22 02:38 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
[quote=Pov]

I read the first issue, finally, last week, as I'm taking a trade break to dive into my floppy backlog. The first issue does a great job of setting up the premise, and the identity reveal at the end felt pretty inspired. We'll see how it goes with subsequent issues.

I did eventually sit down and give the first trade a proper read, and enjoyed it. I went and ordered the next two trades.

Lard Lad #1012640 03/01/22 09:05 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Added some 70s freaky goodness to my TBR pile-- SWAMP THING Bronze Age Omnibus and HOWARD THE DUCK Marvel MasterworksVol.1.

Pov #1012641 03/01/22 09:42 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Pov
Added some 70s freaky goodness to my TBR pile-- SWAMP THING Bronze Age Omnibus .

Good stuff!

Lard Lad #1012953 03/09/22 09:17 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L

So this story took an unexpected turn. My wife was with me when I looked for this book a couple of weeks ago at a local comics/gaming/collectibles shop that I've visited since I was a kid. Their not having a copy is what lead to my post on this thread. Anyhow, I'd not yet ordered a copy from In-Stock Trades, and it turned out that I received it as a gift from her yesterday for my birthday! Of course, she had no idea of the decision-making process I shared here, so she bought me the Master Edition, featuring Eddie Campbell's color revisions!!! lol

Y'know what? I'm not gonna hem and haw over this one and get her to return it. I'll just chalk it up to kismet and say it was meant to be! grin

Lard Lad #1012968 03/10/22 04:11 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Kismet indeed! Happy reading, Lardy!

Lard Lad #1012979 03/10/22 12:35 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I think there's mileage in a Doctor Fate / From Hell crossover.

In colour, obviously...

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Lard Lad #1014279 04/15/22 11:03 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Thor Epic Collection Volume 8, "War of the Gods," stories by Len Wein & Steve Engelhart, pencil art mostly by John Buscema, inks mostly by Tony DeZuniga.

One of the few Post-Kirby/Pre-Simonson eras of Thor that I like a lot, culminating in the Annual (number 5 to be exact) from which the collection gets its title -- that Engelhart/Buscema/DeZuniga gem was originally intended as the first issue of a quarterly Thor magazine which was cancelled at the last minute. Also includes a whimsical Warriors Three story from an issue of Marvel Spotlight.

Lard Lad #1014493 04/23/22 07:15 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Newest to the pile:

The SANDMAN Books One and Two, softcover
DEATH, The Deluxe Edition HC
Did You Hear What Eddie Gein Done? HC

Book One and the Death collection were from InStockTrades, and Book Two and the Eddie Gein hardcover were picked up at Newbury Comics today during a Buy 1 Get 1 1/2 Off trades/Manga sale. I've been reading the first Sandman volume, which contains the first twenty issues, and am planning on starting the Gein book when I go to bed tonight. smile

Page 20 of 20 1 2 18 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,943
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Timothy
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Renly Fox
Renly Fox
Captain's Cabin
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star