Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Supergirl and the Legion of Super-heroes #34 (spoilers) (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Supergirl and the Legion of Super-heroes #34 (spoilers)
Daryl
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daryl   Email Daryl         Edit/Delete Post     
This was the first issue that I've enjoyed in a while. Sounds like Wildfire being a villain bothered some folks. I don't care if he was brought back only as the doorman for the Legion HQ - just as long as he's back.

I loved that "Atom Girl" had attitude. This has been a dull-ass title for long time. I like the personality this issue had.

Dennis - the art was fantastic.

From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duck458
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duck458   Email duck458         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by rickshaw1:
...I never liked Colon's work on Iron Man, i think it was (gettin old and dating myself..well, not romantic dating, just age placement...ah, you know what i mean). Colon's work seemed more suited to the esoteric, the ethereal, the slightly mystic, too me...

When I was growing up, ahh, when I was looking through back issues that contained Gene Colan art I had a hard time understanding it at first. Very not Jack Kirby. Then I, ahhh, came across a back issue of Daredevil where Colan was inked by Tom Palmer. I completely 'got' Colan after that and it also clarified in my mind what an inker does. Colan instantly became a favorite of this fan. Perhaps I'm "old school" but I'll take creativity, originality and story-telling over big breasted-hyper musculature, stylistic flash any day. But thats just me. BTW, for the record I think that Calero has a ton of the former and thankfully little of the latter. But again that just me.

--------------------
So what.

From: Harrisburg, PA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
This was a fun issue, for both story and art. Dennis, I don't love every single panel, but overall I've really enjoyed your art and I'm glad you were able to illustrate these stories. LSH is a tough assignment, with brutally demanding fans.

I really had no doubts that Atom Girl was only stunning her victims. Complain all you want about this version of the Legion, but nothing by Waid/Kitson or by Bedard/Calero has ever suggested our heroes are killers. It HAS been suggested from her first appearance in this version that Salu is a Grade A hardcase, and nothing in Tony's portrayal is inconsistent. I think it's funny that the Legion's toughest hombre is a shrinking girl--sort of like "small dog" syndrome. The Legion's come a LONG way since Shooter's story about the Legion's girls picking out curtains. And, if Shooter or anyone else wants, there's the opportunity for the true story behind the attitude. I think the outrage and concern reflects the fact that us fans still don't feel like we know these characters. Moreover, we're afraid the creative team knows them less well than we do.

My favorite moment in the issue is when (someone?) smashes Drake's faceplate and we see the laughing energy face within. Cool idea and cooler visual. Also, if you're going to be Wildfire, you should have a tougher suit! I also like Drake in the tank that looks like an old Eureka vacuum. Dennis, do have a thing for clasic appliance design? In many ways, this issue was as good an introduction to Wildfire as the original in Superboy #201, my first Legion comic and one I still read regularly. I did miss the setting of the Legion tryouts, though. But the important thing is to introduce Wildfire--they may actually be some readers out there unfamiliar with the story from 35 years ago. It's also interesting to realize that, besides Invisible Kid and Triplicate Girl, Wildfire is the only character whose origin we actually know! I will be eagerly reading to see if Drake really is a villain or something better.

As for Timber Wolf, come on, he doesn't really look THAT wolfie on the last page! Certainly still more human than the animated version. Trom is right (as always), Timber Wolf has to look wolfen to be a star, and Waid and Kitson's version was just too generic. Clearly, Brainy's been looking forward to this transformation for some time. Wonder what he's really up to?

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gim's Bro
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gim's Bro   Email Gim's Bro         Edit/Delete Post     
Nixon?

Is it just me, or do the profile shots of the president of Lallor (when he first meets with the Legion) look a lot like "triky Dick?"

Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igee The Mighty
Legion Lover

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Igee The Mighty   Author's Homepage   Email Igee The Mighty         Edit/Delete Post     
re: Atom Girl

As far as how Waid's portrayed her in the 3boot, I actually expect her to be this...violently flagrant. It's not even like the TMK Violet where we knew she toughened up because of the sens-tank episode as well as the war with the Braalians. TMK Vi was tough & efficient but never to the point where she'd actually keep score like Waid's Atom Girl. Add me into changing her name back to Shrinking Violet or something else. I just find it too absurd to add "Girl" to "Atom".

re: Timber Wolf

Waid's 3boot TWolf was pretty generic, with only Kitson's sleek costume being the sole high point. Not even linking him to Projectra made him unique so I'm all for giving him a wild side. I'm sure S&M's take on him (feralization and new costume) should at least make him interesting.

re: Wildfire

Again, at least by giving him some resentment he has more than just being upset at being turned into energy. Just lots of brain farts though where he's concerned: a) I share Wildfire's disbelief over that "unbreakable" faceplate in the past b) how come when T-Wolf broke his faceplate he didn't escape? The upgrade's on the fact that it reseals, but likely not to his energy not seeping out. Oh well...suspension of disbelief's a powerful thing. :-)

The art's very atmospheric and I think it brings the story down to "street level". If any of you picked up Supergirl #22, the take there (Guedes?) is the exact opposite (mostly sunlight, etc). Just another way of rendering the LSH. [Smile]

--------------------
Igee The Mighty!

From: Manila, The Philippines | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reckless
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reckless   Email reckless         Edit/Delete Post     
I generally liked the story, but sorry, Dennis, I really did not like the art. I felt like I had to rely on the characters telling me what was happening, particularly when the building collapsed, because the art itself did not show that. But that was minor compared to how much I hated the last panel. It seemed completely divorced style-wise from the previous panels. On that page, T-Wolf looked like something out of a Matt Wagner comic, very blocky and without details. It was like a completely different artist had taken over. And since T-Wolf's feral appearance was supposed to be the big "wow" moment of the comic, the lack of detail really weakened the impact on me.
Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insanelad
single

Icon 1 posted      Profile for insanelad   Email insanelad         Edit/Delete Post     
LOVED the artwork!
This is why LSH is such a great comic - it has these great artists who aren't the standard and who produce stunning, unusual work - Giffen, Immonen, Pearson, Coipel, and now Calero. Great stuff, long may it continue.
It shows that the Legion ISN'T just some cute little club for super powered teenagers, but can be powerful, darker, gripping and cutting edge. This is why the book DESERVES to have a higher profile.

From: Kent | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insanelad
single

Icon 1 posted      Profile for insanelad   Email insanelad         Edit/Delete Post     
oh, the story was great - loved Tasmia using her diplomatic status to get them in, and really enjoyed the girls kicking ass. Igee - would you have had a problem if Ultra Boy was keeping a body count, or Wildfire? I still get the impression that there are too many preconceived ideas about the characters in this version. Atom Girl is NOT Shrinking Violet, so of course she behaves differently to Vi. I think she's one of the best, if not THE best character out of the lot.
From: Kent | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lurker Lass
Current status: borderline narcoleptic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lurker Lass   Author's Homepage   Email Lurker Lass         Edit/Delete Post     
Wait... I have a question...

Why is there a giant flash of light when Timber Wolf transformed? Is it like SHAZAM and magical in nature, or like Dragonball Z power ups, or something else? Because now I can't stop staring at T-Wolf's very Vegeta-like widow's peak on the last page.

--------------------
{This has been a Lurker Lass sighting}

From: Somewhere in the Multi-verse | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Calero
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Calero   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Calero         Edit/Delete Post     
"This was a fun issue, for both story and art. Dennis, I don't love every single panel, but overall I've really enjoyed your art and I'm glad you were able to illustrate these stories. LSH is a tough assignment, with brutally demanding fans."

I can't complain for a second on how the fans have been treating me.

" felt like I had to rely on the characters telling me what was happening, particularly when the building collapsed, because the art itself did not show that"

Well that's more the storytelling, unless you'e saying the drawing wasn't clear. Clarity is always an issue when drawing comics, especially when you don't really "cartoon."

"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOVED the artwork!
This is why LSH is such a great comic - it has these great artists who aren't the standard and who produce stunning, unusual work - Giffen, Immonen, Pearson, Coipel, and now Calero. Great stuff, long may it continue. "

Thank you. Well it will continue until 36 which I'm finishing this week.

"Why is there a giant flash of light when Timber Wolf transformed? Is it like SHAZAM and magical in nature, "

Generally that was the idea.

"On that page, T-Wolf looked like something out of a Matt Wagner comic, very blocky and without details. It was like a completely different artist had taken over."

I accept your feelings about the book, and can see the vailidity in many of your points, but I just don't see this.

From: New York | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought this issue was great - the art, the characterisation, the plot and best of all - the absolutely fantastic colouring! Nathan Eyring deserves a payrise. Each panel was simply delicious!

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wamu2
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wamu2           Edit/Delete Post     
okay, okay. I tried to stay away. but the siren song of LSH brought me back.

I liked the story. it was good to see that the tensions on Lallor have continued. it was also interesting to see an underager(the soldier with T man) had started working for the 'man' when he got older. a nice subtle reference to how youthful idealism often turns to more practical concerns.

I like Atom Girl. She at times appears to be bat guano crazy, but hey perfect heroes are dull. and what's with all the reference to guys? must be the Imskian pon farr season or something.

the rest you guys(ladies?) can have your Dream Girl, or Saturn Girl, but it was love at first sight(murky though it was) for Shadow Lass. let me count me the ways: athletic, royalty(sort of off) and she says stuff like,"by the moons of talok". what's not to love? one thing, it seems like she's baring more midriff than before? come on Shady when you look that good, leave something for the imagination.

T-man(isn't that the nickname from the toon) more feral huh? well okay, I will see how works out.

Wildfire- interesting set up(not sure why he wants to kill the prez), but the whole I am a being of pure energy and have to stay in a suit. it doesn't do anything for me. but hey I am no fan of Captain Atom either.

From: chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
So I finally got it as well.

And surprisingly, I actually liked most of it. There were quite a few nice nods to "old continuity buffs" like me - Wildfires origin and first mission, Timber Wolfs hairdo - that made the book feel like the Legion again. This issue to me is a good sign that the run can be saved and that there is a lot of freedom for a new writer like Bedard and Shooter to actually pick it up and finally do something great with it. Like giving us more background about the Legion, for example.

Was it ever actually said that this Legion team exists for three years? Well, now we finally got an idea of the timeline of this Threeboot, and although most of the issue was just a big brawl, it still had the right feel.

hat I did not like was the brutalization of Shrinking Violet and Timber Wolf. We got used to it with Shady (wasn't she a badass in the Reboot already?), but this kind of "mortal combat" just don't fits to the no-killing-code which I hope still exists SOMEWHERE in the Legion charta. And making Brin more wolveriney is not the right way to make the character interesting, never was (Timber Wolf mini-series anyone???).

All in all, I'm looking forward to the next few issues - I guess Bedard is doing some right moves to prepare Shooters homerun :-)

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igee The Mighty
Legion Lover

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Igee The Mighty   Author's Homepage   Email Igee The Mighty         Edit/Delete Post     
Insanelad - My post was actually more a response to posters in the previous pages whose statements I interpreted to mean that they found it too much for Atom Girl to be keeping score.

My point was that if you look at how Atom Girl has been portrayed at this time (disabling an enemy by busting through a shoulder, packing weapons), it's entirely keeping with her character. Atom Girl's never been shown as a killer (she could have popped out of Elysion's (?) head or heart and not his shoulder), but that doesn't mean she's not the type to have some fun knocking the enemy down.

I used TMK Violet as an example since for me there would be a disconnect if TMK Violet started doing a bodycount--it's not something that's rooted in terms of her characterization or how she had been portrayed until that point.

I personally don't have a problem with any of these characters doing a bodycount per se. Hope this doesn't come across the wrong way but if it's what rings their bells as they're written, then so be it.

Do I like Waid's reimagining...not so much. Do I like Atom Girl...well, not really since in my opinion there doesn't seem much more to her than "recently dispelled urban legend", "tough combat chick" or "snappy banter girl". Do I ever see her as Violet? I truly don't...but I do acknowledge Atom Girl an an analogue (of this published version of the Legion) for Shrinking Violet as far as power goes...but that's about it.

--------------------
Igee The Mighty!

From: Manila, The Philippines | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igee The Mighty
Legion Lover

By the way, I actually share your comment about the "offbeat" artists the Legion has had...particularly Cockrum, Giffen, Pearson, Immonen, Coipel and now Calero. These artists in my mind brought/bring their own, unique perspective to a very unique team. :-)

I've always found myself embracing the work of these "progressive" artists and on some level I equate the fresh air they've brought as mirroring the very spirit of the LSH. I also believe that these artists are the big names they are right now because of that unique perspective.

--------------------
Igee The Mighty!

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.