Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » 2008: the ultimate MEET-UP at San Diego: wrap-up, pics and sharing experiences (Page 14)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 66 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  64  65  66   
Author Topic: 2008: the ultimate MEET-UP at San Diego: wrap-up, pics and sharing experiences
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
If you're booking now before con rates, expect to pay more than $300 per night (I am -- shudder), even for hotels a ways away if they're still on the shuttle route. It's definitely not a bad idea to book ahead of time as a fallback because con rate rooms sell out within minutes, which is why I'm still paying what I am, but at least I'm splitting it.

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
Yahoo/Travelocity seem to be the best site for comparing July 2008 rates.

The best price downtown looks like the Holiday Inn at $224/night. The Hilton comes in at $325-ish. The two immediately adjacent ot the Con center don't register at all yet.

Hotel Circle or similar distances away (8-12 miles out) bring one down to the 160-190 range... and there are a couple of $125s in the Hotel Circle area out further out into the hinterlands.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
With the trolley, almost everything in the Mission Valley area (Hotel Circle) should be quick and easy to get to/from the Convention Center.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

...we also have a decent size contingent interested in the Vagas pre-meet.

Is there still interest in an LA-area amusement park pre- or post-Con meet? If so, should it overlap with the Vegas pre-meet, or follow the Con, so people can do both, if they like?

In 2006, Abin, L-John and I travelled from Vegas to San D on Wednesday, arriving just in time for preview night. Town was already packed.

I'd suggest the Vegas-San D road trip be moved to Tuesday in 2008, allowing more time to settle in, and/or see a sight or two en route.

Another option would be to break it up and overnight near Riverside, about 2/3 of the way between the two. This option would allow a later departure from Las Vegas, potential detours ot Joshua Tree and/or Palm Springs (or even LA) on the first part, and Mt. Palomar or the Wild Animal Park on the second part.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
With the trolley, almost everything in the Mission Valley area (Hotel Circle) should be quick and easy to get to/from the Convention Center.

Any idea what's public transportation like if I'm still using my 'chair then?

Oh, to be Metron... [sigh] [Wink]

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Bri, we'll have our car so hopefully we can get you around.

We still want to do a stop in Vegas, probably Tuesday night (leave SLC on Monday). And we still want to play for at least Disneyland after the con. Or take a day off during, whatever work for those wanting to go.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Pov:

http://www.sdcommute.com/Rider_Information/wheelchair/index.asp

http://www.accessandiego.org/travelsearch.asp

Pov

[Hug]

I'm still not completely sure I'm going; The idea of getting around the Con is just really daunting, to be honest. Never mind the logistics of my travel and stay.

Still all perfectly doable with proper planning... and I know I'll regret it if I don't try. What's the saying... "Hope for the best, plan for the worst"? [Wink]

(Oh! Thanks for the links, Sean! [Hug] )

[ July 12, 2007, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Pov ]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

de nada, Bri!

you know we'll do anything we can to make it happen for you, if we have to carry you around ourselves! [Wink]

The con center can get quite crowded, but I think we've all seen wheelchaired people out and about. There are elevators, and since there are plenty of stairs there is not fierce competiton for elevator space.

whoever has a vehicle could even get you there/back without having to fiddle with pub-tran (especially if you have a transferable handicapped-parking tag.)

I'm sure we'll all respect whatever decision you eventually make, but I repeat: we'll all do our part to make it happen for you.

Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Even if Bri doesn't have his own parking tag/hanger we have one already (because of Caroline's mom). That should get us there, assuming there aren't a lot of people using them like last time who didn't need to (I swear I even caught a vendor using one for closer access when we were there last).
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

big-time pet peeve of mine. I had a boss who had a tag because his wife supposedly had a sleeping disorder! She seemed as able as any (she also worked in the office), and he was best described as a likeable prick, if that makes any sense.
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
Hey, Lee and I are still on-board! He was actually looking at hotels and such yesterday night. I think we want to go hit Disneyland before the con (maybe Wed.) if anyone else is interested!

EDIT: Just read above about the Vegas pre-meet and the LA Amusement park post-meet. Or concurrent pre-meets. Or something. That would work too. Of course, we're probably only up for one major non-con activity, but if others want to go to some of the parks in LA, we're all in, whether it's before or after the con. (We'll be going anyway, but it would be fun to have some company!)

[ July 13, 2007, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: Kid Prime ]

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm still planning on making the trip as well though I'm not certain about pre or post excursions.

Bri, I'll echo the comments above. Anyhting we can do to make this work for you to join us...count on it! I'm pretty good at blocking out and opening up holes in the front line so the "scatback" can have a wide open field ahead of him! [Wink]

And if that doesn't work, just run over their toes with the wheels on your 'chair and make 'em apologize to you! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Or we could costume Pov and his (potential) chair as Metron! People would get out o his way in sheer AWE!
Pov

I could be his brother-God, Fatron! [LOL]

That is a totally cool idea, though... have to see what I can cook up.

Especially if I end up with a powerchair in the intervening year... ! My current PT is pushing for one, as it would maneuver better around my trailer than my P.O.S. current, manual wheels. Powered wheels would get me around the convention center better, too... [Hmmm?]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

This topic comprises 66 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  64  65  66   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.