Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Lardy's Roundtable (Gym'll's Ed.): Ultimate Superman? (Page 33)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38   
Author Topic: Lardy's Roundtable (Gym'll's Ed.): Ultimate Superman?
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I consider Neal Adams DC to be the 'Transition Period' and Neal Adams Marvel to be Bronze Age.

Neal was so talented that I generally like everything he's ever done. I just reread his very brief Thor run between Kirby & Buscema last summer--FREAKING FANTASTIC!

Neal & Roy on the X-Men is good stuff, and the intro of Lorna and Havok gave the series a shot in the arm, but to be honest, it's never really blown me away as its done many others (namely John Byrne and some other creators). What is incredible is the artwork & layouts, much like the Kirby X-Men issues. The larger storylines and character beats were good (certainly not bad) but nothing mind-blowing and definitely not as good as Roy's Avengers with Buscema or Neal.

Also noteworthy is how short the Neal Adams stuff is. It's only like a few issues. Lorna was actually introduced by Steranko, though Neal helped establish here after. I always expected it to be like a 20 issue run but Adams only did brief stints at Marvel. There is no Neal Adams Marvel equivalent of Deadman.

Yeah, that run wasn't very long, but the stories with Sauron and the Savage Land and Magneto were the very best pre-New X-Men stuff out there.

I think Byrne did a good job following up on those 'lost' stories after Thomas' run and before Claremont's in X-Men: The Hidden Years, IMO. That was the last time I thoroughly enjoyed an X-book. I wish Quesada had let Byrne finish it out.

Reminds me, I know there's tons of Byrne-haters out there, but there was a time when the man could put out a damn fine comic!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Agree on Byrne. His FF remains a high point of the 1980's; his X-Men stuff is legendary for a reason and his Alpha Flight was terrific. Anything he touched for a long time turned to gold: Marvel Two-in-One, Marvel Team-Up, Captain America, etc.

I really liked the Hidden Years as well and that actually would be a great reread: the Adams issues right into the Hidden Years. Canceling that was hugely stupid. I think that was a Bill Jemas decision instead of a Joe Q one. Stupid no matter who signed off on it.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm pleased that you enjoyed THY--there's hope for you yet! [Big Grin] That was probably about the last good thing Byrne wrote and drew. I also feel he did a good job on the first volume or two of Superman/Batman: Generations. The third edition (IIRC about there bring a third) was too much. Artwise, it was nice to see him drawing Supes again for awhile with Gail Simone writing on Action Comics.

I haven't read his more recent stuff at IDW doing writing and art on Star Trek and Angel titles, so I've no idea if he's resurging or not.

As we mention the 90s on the "Any Recommendations", I'm reminded of how much I enjoyed his work on Next Men. That was some A+ stuff! Dunno whether it ages well or not, as I haven't reread anytime this past decade, but I enjoyed the hell out've that one when it was published!

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Officer Taylor:

I haven't read his more recent stuff at IDW doing writing and art on Star Trek and Angel titles, so I've no idea if he's resurging or not.

What I have read of Byrne's IDW Star Trek work has been surprisingly decent - mostly done-in-one straight up sci-fi action stories. Getting away from the Big Two seems to have done him some good.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I've never read any Next Men stuff. Sounds like another thing for me to check out.

I remember liking his Wonder Woman run at times but then it really kind of got into some storylines that just weren't working. This was prior to THY IIRC.

I liked the first two Generations quite a bit.

I also really liked the Stern/Byrne 'First Line' maxi-series for Marvel. I definitely hated the Spider-Man stuff Byrne did at the same time, but the First Line was a pretty groovy series.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
I remember liking his Wonder Woman run at times but then it really kind of got into some storylines that just weren't working. This was prior to THY IIRC.

I actually liked his run on WW a good bit. Not perfect, and maybe too obsessed with tying up continuity (and confusing it more in the process), but overall fairly entertaining. His and Perez's WW stuff are the only times I've collected a title. May give JMS a shot.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Byrne helped re-establish Artemis as a part of Diana's cast and introduced Cassie. Two major things IMO that have helped Wonder Woman immensely.
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
It's the portrayal of Peter has selfish, immature and somewhat of an idiot

This is something that I had a lot of patience for (or just flat out didn't notice as a kid), but that just pisses me off as an adult, characters acting stupid, and, worse, characters acting stupid *and being rewarded for it by having their asses saved anyway by a plot contrivance.*

TV show, movie, novel or comic book, when a protagonist does something just flat-out idiotic, it bugs me. When it's *all they ever do,* and yet they always seem to get miraculously through it, like some modern Inspector Clouseau, bumbling their way into success, I lose interest and walk away.

It's hard to admire a hero when they are written as such imbeciles, sometimes.

(TV is much worse about this. Sylar was probably the only regular cast member on Heroes who wasn't too dumb to live.)

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
I also really liked the Stern/Byrne 'First Line' maxi-series for Marvel. I definitely hated the Spider-Man stuff Byrne did at the same time, but the First Line was a pretty groovy series.

I think you refer to Marvel: The Lost Generation. That one certainly had its moments, but I find it pretty forgettable in the end. It's backwards storytelling and numbering was kinda gimmicky. It didn't suck or anything, just didn't leave any kind of lasting impression. Plus, I doubt Marvel ever referenced anything about it ever again in its continuity.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Yeah, that was it. I'm pretty sure it's never been referenced again and likely won't be for a long time (unless Roger does it himself).

Byrne's major problem artwise is his stuff always looks better when he has an inker embellishing for him like Terry Austin.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Looking it up, I see "First Line" was the name of the super-team featured in M:TLG. See? I couldn't even remember that about it! [Smile]

quote:
Byrne's major problem artwise is his stuff always looks better when he has an inker embellishing for him like Terry Austin.

Whomever's inking definitely makes a difference on Byrne (really, as it does for anyone). What I feel is that a heavier line is my preference for properly showcasing Byrne's art. To that effect, of course, Austin does that well, but I've seen many examples of Byrne inking himself that have looked terrific. IIRC, good examples of this are Next Men and Generations. A light, thin line doesn't really make his stuff look as attractive as the thicker line. (I'm no art critic, so I hope that makes sense.)

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Officer Taylor:
quote:

I actually liked his run on WW a good bit. Not perfect, and maybe too obsessed with tying up continuity (and confusing it more in the process), but overall fairly entertaining. His and Perez's WW stuff are the only times I've collected a title. May give JMS a shot.
Never read Byrne's WW, but I have read Phil Jimenez's WW, and I like it a whole bunch. The campiness and the heavy ornamentation actually worked very well for WW in my opinion, and he went a long way towards re-establishing my beloved Donna Troy as a serious contender. I will agree with the criticisms that Jimenez was a bit verbose, but so was Chris Claremont, even in his prime! What do you guys think of Jimenez's WW?

P.S. If anyone hasn't yet read Jimenez's 1996 Tempest mini-series, I urge you to. It's powerful and heartbreaking, and at the time it was an oasis of goodness in a mostly terrible year for superhero comics.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I've long been a big fan of Jimenez and his Perez-like style. I can't really recall the first time I stood up and took notice of his work, but it may have been the really cool issue of Guy Gardner where he opens Warriors and just about every DC hero guest-stars.

The Tempest mini was indeed incredible, and I know PAD had a big hand in it. I consider it the defining moment of turning corny Aqualad into the force that was Tempest, with awesome magical based powers, a great costume (such a simple solution to take Aquaman's 80's costume and add Aqualad's colors--classic Phil), and provide a really great connection to Atlan and Arthur's larger mythos. High recommendation and a must-read for fans of the Atlantis Chronicles and PAD's Aquaman mythos.

I also liked his WW run--probably a little less than I did Byrne's run, but still a solid read and worth collecting. There were many criticisms against it and some I understood but most I felt were nit-picking. One of the things Phil did with WW is he made it a point to amp up WW's rogues gallery which is something that has been needed since the 1950's. He brought back a few classic Golden Age villains as well as some more recent ones and it just added a sense of awesome.

Wonder Woman is kind of funny: three solid runs in the past 15 years were Byrne, Jimenez and Rucka. None of the three IMO were ground-breaking and knock-you-on-the-floor incredible, but all three were really good in their own right and I think certainly worth buying.

Who was the artist on Phil's WW? I remember loving the artwork.

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Wow. I never knew that PAD had a big hand in Jimenez's Tempest mini-series. No wonder it was so good (ah, for the days when PAD could do no wrong.) Thanks for that bit of info, Cobie.

Agree about Jimenez amping up WW's rogues gallery. He did the best Circe ever (even remniscent a bit of my beloved MU's Sersi.)

The artist on Jimenez's WW run was Jimenez himself, except for a couple issues drawn by Roy Allan Martinez IIRC.

Bevis, Jerry, and other hardcore WW fans, if you're reading this, I'd love to know your thoughts on Jimenez's WW.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Letdowns- Anything with the word 'Defenders' on it after the original series ended.

- The Black Orchid series (a happy note-- apparently all the DCU characters once said to be unavailable to new story usage due to their Vertigo ties are now free for regular DCU writers to use them... that means Swamp Thing, Orchid, Shade, etc. will likely be appearing in issues of ACTION, JUSTICE LEAGUE, BRAVE AND BOLD, etc. soon)

- COUNTDOWN... aside from general crappiness (though there were a couple of good issues in there), that series took several characters I loved and just wasted them. Aside from Donna and Jason Todd, are any of the characters currently being used? No. They're in toxic fume fadeout limbo.

- TEEN TITANS... letdown should be part of the title there's been so many disappointments with this series. And I'm just thinking of the current run. Ever since Johns left, it's been one letdown after another.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.