Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you READING? (Page 19)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: So what are you READING?
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
Finished "the Great and Secret Show" by clive barker a few days. Found it pretty good, one of his better books. Just started to re-read "Swan Song" last night
From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
After Blood & Gold by Anne Rice finished mid November i've read Le Morte De Arthur by Sir Thomas Mallory.

Ok i got really bored with the knights banging each other in the heads, jousting, etc. But I did see some depth in the overall story...lots of it actually. No suprise it reminded me of the Illiad. Fate, karma, and how us humans fuck it all up. [Wink] Boring...but i took lots of it. (and it wasn't ALL boring...but Tristram got boring fer sure)

I finished that last week and then went on to read the Last Bow by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I read the collected Adventures of holmes a few months ago and LOVED IT. So i read the Last Bow which wasn't as good but I liked it lots. Gonna buy more Holmes stuff. Any suggestions? Has anyone read Adrian Conan Doyle's books? I was gonna go for those next (Exploits of Holmes).

I am read Harry Potter's and the Sorcerer's Stone (the 1st one) currently. I'ts aight...i haven't gotten into much but not turned off yet.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
btw, i read Interview by Rice when I was 14. I liked it then...but I tried to reread it like 5 years ago...and it was pretty lame/girlie/eh. But Blood & Gold by Rice...loved it.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought the first Harry Potter book was called 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone'. Did it have a different name in the States?
From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
yeah blacula, it does. It's called the Sorcerer's stone here in the states.

Apparently the American Publishers didn't think that us American's could comprend what the Philososphers could mean. They also edited some of the very English stuff out of there too and made it more Amercainized. But with the 2nd book on, I think the publishers realized they didn't have to do that for the kiddos.

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Also, I have still not compeleted Johnthon Strange and Mr Norell yet...
From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
If you've read Mallory successfully, read Steinbeck's (unfinished--he died before completing it) Arthur book (can't remember the exact name). It was my bible in middle school. Also, I suppose it goes without saying but Once and Future King is brilliant.

Sorcerer's Stone. If only we could catalog all the things corporate America thinks the rest of America is too stupid to understand.

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
If you've read Mallory successfully, read Steinbeck's (unfinished--he died before completing it) Arthur book (can't remember the exact name). It was my bible in middle school. Also, I suppose it goes without saying but Once and Future King is brilliant.

Sorcerer's Stone. If only we could catalog all the things corporate America thinks the rest of America is too stupid to understand.

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
still going on Swan Song; but i've managed to get my roommate hooked on asimov's foundation books!!! [Smile]
From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Psychout
Your mind is my playground

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Psychout   Email Kid Psychout         Edit/Delete Post     
Deathstalker Return; book 7 in the series by Simon R. Green.

ths is a great pulp read, full of funny dialogue ideas thrown about to see if they stick. It's nominally scifi but throws in horror and a fair amount of comic book sensibilities as well.

On the donside, if you read comics not too many will be new to you, the characters tend to make speeches that reiterate the narrative descriptions of themselves on the previous page and the book gleefully contradicts itself all over the place.

But, hell, it's a fun, engaging read and i wish he'd write them a bit faster.

From: Melbourne, Auz. | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Just started that old sci-fi classic "Day of the Triffids"
Saturn Girl
Always Leave Them Spellbound

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saturn Girl           Edit/Delete Post     
My mother and I have been reading the same books lately - probably because she keeps getting books through the mail from our County Library. Large-print editions which are so much easier on her eyes since her chemo therapy. We just finished 'Smoke Jumper' by Nicholas Evans. He previously wrote The Horse Whisperer. I didn't care for 'horse' at all, but this book was excellent. We laughed, we cried, we cheered, and we both want it made into a movie. Fantastic male-bonding, hidden love story, surprises you don't see coming at all, and totally action packed.
From: Utah (non-Mormon!!!) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
I just finished reading a book called
"The Buried Pyramid" by Jane Linoskold.
Couldn't put it down.

Just restarted reading an old favorite
from College ... Fools Crow by James
Welch. Seems like I'm always going back
and reading that one ....

Caroline, have I mentioned that one to
you? You'd really love it...

Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

btw, i finished Harry Potter and Sorcerer's Stone...i really got into it when he got to Hogwarts. Read in a few sitting. Gotta read the next. But first...Shogun. [Smile]
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
Runes of the Earth by Stephen Donaldson - the Last Chronicle of Thomas Covenant.

Great stuff!

[ February 18, 2005, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: Queen B ]

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.