Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you READING? (Page 72)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: So what are you READING?
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Let's see, recently I finished "The Bourne Identity." This is certainly the best spy thriller I have ever read. I first read this book many years ago, and proceeded to read many other Ludlum books - the funny thing is, I didn't like any of the others. Even the subsequent Bourne books were lame. I finally decided Ludlum wrote only one good book and his rep was built off of it. Oh, and my wife and I both hated the recent movie.

I finished the 9th Tarzan book, "Tarzan and the Golden Lion," which was pretty good.

I didn't seem to enjoy Dune nearly as much as I did when I was in my teens. Opinions change over time, I suppose.

I also bought one of the more expensive books I have purchased - Heinlein's "The Man Who Sold the Moon and Other Stories." I paid $1.80 for it. The thing is, I only bought it for one story. "Let There Be Light" hasn't been reprinted anywhere else that I can find, so I bought the book just for a 20 page story. I paid about 9 cents per page, so this is equivalent to paying $45 for a 500 page book. Still cheaper than comic books though....

From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm reading "I was told there'd be cake," a collection of essays by Sloane Crosley ... kinda like a female David Sedaris ... a couple of laugh out loud moments, including one reference to Smurfette's closet ...

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
I am currently reading "Raptor" by Gary Jennings. This man must have put a staggering amount of research into each of his historical novels. Can anyone recommend any other novelists who wrote historical fiction? Thanks!
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
The last new thing I read was "Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter." Was surprisingly good, especially for those who happen to have read some Lincoln biographies.
Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Y'know, as I was composing my previous post I got to wondering if anyone has read any James Michener. Has anyone here read his books and care to venture an opinion/endorsement?
lancesrealm
amiable

I just finished "Raptor," so now on to the 10th Tarzan book, "Tarzan and the Ant Men."
lancesrealm
amiable

I just finished a Forgotten Realms novel, "Pool of Twilight," which was surprisingly good! I just started Heinlein's "Waldo & Magic Inc."
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^^^ As a D&D geek I used to love those old Forgotten Realms books. I seem to remember thinking Pool of Twilight was one of my faves too.

I'm currently reading a book called Adverbs by (I think) Daniel Handler who was the author of those Lemony Snickets books. Though unlike that series, this book is for adults.

I'm enjoying it so far but it's a very hard book to describe. I'm about halfway through and there are no main characters (so far), no consistent location or time-period to the chapters and wildly varying tones (the most frequent being comedy and tragedy). If I had to pick one thing to say it was about I would say 'Love' in all it's many shapes and forms. It's a very different book but I love that about it and the author's skill with words and wordplay is simply excellent. It's got me interested in reading the Lemony Snickets books now too.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Blacula, "Pool of Twilight" is the third book in the trilogy. "Pool or Radiance" was ok, and "Pools of Darkness" was kind of a struggle to get through, but the third book was just so good! One of the few Forgotton Realms books not by Salvatore or Niles that I really enjoyed!
Blacula
Easy

^ Gosh. I can't remember anything about that trilogy of books other than their names. And the covers. I think my brother had a poster of one them on his wall MANY years ago.

I really enjoyed most of those 'Forgotten Realms' books though. I read the 'Icewind Dale Triolgy' which was great but I was never a Drizzt fan so I quickly bored of all the follow-ups that focused on him. I remember 'The Curse of the Azure Bonds' trilogy being a lot of fun too. I liked a lot of those 'Harpers' books too but can't really remember who appeared in them or what they were about.

That series of books was so ubiquitous in bookshops once upon a time though. What ever happened to them?

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

PS I'm still reading and loving Adverbs. I don't think I've ever read a book like it in my life. VERY interestingly plotted/constructed. And it's very funny AND moving. I highly recommend it.
lychanthrope
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lychanthrope   Email lychanthrope         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm currently reading Hammock Camping by Ed Speer and The Last Olympian by Riordan. Then it's on the latest Patricia Briggs novel.
From: Bristol IN USA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
A biography of Keith Richards, which I rushed through so I could finally donate it to my library.

Before that, it was "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies", the Jane Austen/zombie mash-up novel by a guy whose name I can't recall. I expected to dislike it, but it was pretty funny.

I got to meet the author at C2E2, and he seemed like a decent guy. Said his next project will have a similar theme to his previous books but won't use historical or famous literary characters. They were passing out free copies of his latest, "Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter", to people waiting in line and I got a copy of that and the zombie book signed.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raging Bull
Maverick

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raging Bull           Edit/Delete Post     
After watching season 1 of Lost on Blu-ray (yes, I have a lot of catching up to do), I'm trying to find my old copies of A Wrinkle in Time and Watership Down -- books that Sawyer is seen reading on the beach.

--------------------
♦ Translated from 31st century Texan to 21st century English ♦

From: The open range | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Lost references a LOT of books that I'd like to read someday but haven't yet. Those are two examples. Another is Slaughterhouse-Five.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.