Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Favorite Legionnaire Moments (Triplicate Girl, anyone?) (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Favorite Legionnaire Moments (Triplicate Girl, anyone?)
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
Similiar to LYL's wonderful Titan D'Jour thread, I'll post a different Legionnaire every once in awhile. Instead of writing down your thoughts on them though, share your favorite moment about the character! This way we can get some insight into everyone's favorite incarnations and eras for our heroes and what aspects of them appeal more than others.

First, since she's on-topic on this board right now...NURA NAL!

One of my favorite Dream Girl moments has to be around the late 'teens of the Baxter series. A team was corraling rogue lightning beasts, when Brainy suddenly has an idea for how to stop them. He flies off, leaving his force-field belt behind with Lightning Lass for defense. Ayla is confused, unsure of how to work the gadget. Nura quickly snaps it from Ayla's grasp, griping, "All these years working together and you never watched Brainy? Give me that!" Nura promptly activates the belt like it's second-nature and flies off to protect the others. It was a moment to show her scientific brain and vampy side at the same time.

Your favorite NURA NAL moment?

[ September 14, 2011, 01:08 AM: Message edited by: Future ]

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I actually really like her role in the Mayavale story, where she surprises him in the end. I think it would be really interesting to analyze her earlier appearances in terms of her later portrayals, and this would be a particularly key story in that regard. A classic example of her allowing herself to be underestimated.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JR Loflin
Stay Ace!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JR Loflin   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Not sure of the issue, but there was a comment about the DnA Nura after training to become a sort of Pre-Cog Battle Computer...

"She no longer sleeps..." or "She hasn't slept in X number of months..." or something to that effect.

Quite honestly, it scared the hell out of me... [Embarrassed]

Oh yeah, and she kicked total nass in Legion #38 with her "pain"-ful moment. Come to think of it, I wouldn't have thought her capable of it before she underwent the aforementioned training...

[ September 20, 2004, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: Pex the Unalive ]

--------------------
"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

From: Outpost Gallifrey | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Component Lad
Philosopher - Stoned

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Component Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
[Element Lad] She learns by observing, whether it's paying attention to those around her or seeing into the future.

I especially enjoyed Gail Simone's last issue as it showed a Nura that hasn't really been seen since Levitz. Underestimate her at your own peril! [Element Lad]

--------------------
Visit Myriad's Legion of Alt-IDs in Bits and LW Directory in the MMB

From: Delegate of Trom | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
She really blossomed while Lightle was doing legion art chores. I think Steve got to handle the period where Dream Girl was a focus of LSH activity. When she was elected Leader her character finally got enough screen exposure to get developed in depth. That's when I really started to like her. Getting her hair done while waiting for election results was so perfect.
From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadow Kid
Talokian Super-Hunk

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadow Kid   Email Shadow Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Pretty much all of Legion Worlds #4 when DnA unveiled the new, Nura. It was such a unexpectedly exceptional portrayal of a character who had been burdened with some awful post-boot characterization that I'm choosing it as my favourite Nura moment.
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I liked her all through the Great Darkness Saga as the vampy but competent leader. Of course, I like ALL Nura Nal moments, from her introduction to today!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I'll give a nod to her Adventure era appearances. Her intro was pretty kewl in that she was intelligent and determined enough to get everyone expelled that she needed to.

She stood by her man during his trial and expulsion from the Legion.

She was a big star in the Tauras Gang issue, one of my earliest back-issue purchases, and was very clever in that issue to think to replace Jo as the plant in the Taurus Gang.

I admit to being fascinated by the breakdown in Thom and Nura's relationship during the Baxter issues and the whole Atmos mess. Even though Levitz doesn't indicate it in the story, I think this storyline shows the most human Nura ever. She's needy and not beyond manipulating some shmuck to get closer to the man who left her behind.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
In SUPERBOY # 224, she scolds Superboy for throwing a hissy fit at being passed over for leader in favor of Wildfire. Somebody in the Legion had to say it, but it took me by surprise that it was Nura. She had never been shown to have the chutzpah to stand up to the Boy of Steel in the stories I'd read before.

Of course, she was also rendered by James Sherman, who drew probably the most beautiful Nura ever.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
The fat Nura at the end of that era's run was incredible. What a wonderful "matronly vamp" she played. Even though Thom was long out of her reach she knew she could still get to him whenever she wanted to. In some small way that may be my favorite version of Nura, older, wiser, totally mature and absolutely confident in her power as a woman and as a Legionnaire.
(I liked the adult Legion with families and extended obligations quite a lot)

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
So flexing my power of super memory loss, I was thinking to myself the past few days: you know what would be a cool idea for a thread with all these recent, positive discussions about different moments in Legion history? A thread highlighting moments for specific characters.

I apparently beat myself to it by four years. Tons of great moments so far. So what moments stand out to you, guys? Since it's been awhile, let's give a chance for everyone to discuss DREAM GIRL again.

[Dream Girl] [Dreamer] [Dream Girl - Re-Imagined]

Since my last post, one of my favorite (though obviously sad) moments with Nura was her death in the latest series. There was just something so poignant about how the whole precog death played out, with all her last flashes falling into place. Again, not a great moment for Nura, but well done to me.

I also have read the Great Darkness Saga since my last post, and loved seeing Nura as leader. Her chiding the boys about how the best candidate may be a woman as she announces her candidacy stands out to me. A great thesis to her tenure, really.

Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
The scene where her election is announced and someone says "Of course, if she wasn't going to win she wouldn't have run..." was a classic.

Also loved her flirty moments like where she kisses Jan in front of Shavaughn.

I also love where she gets the last word in because when you argue with a precog you know you can't win. During the Universo Project when she shuts Brainy up saying "All these years you've loved me for my mind". And of course shutting up Brainy again in the current run with the married talk.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Towards the end of the Baxter run she had almost become to the Legion what Imra had been during the Silver Age and early 70's. Like a female conscience of the team/guardian of the Legion spirit/person to go to for advice or help. I liked when Brainy quit the team after his trial and immediately she assumed it should be here to go through the old equipment and become the science expert for Polar Boy during the remainder of his term.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Does anybody remember a little known issue where Nura and Thom woke up in the middle of the night to fight a thief named Magpie?

Her casual kick-ass combat mode really stood out for me.

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askanipsion
Telepath

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askanipsion   Author's Homepage   Email Askanipsion         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Owl Lad:
Does anybody remember a little known issue where Nura and Thom woke up in the middle of the night to fight a thief named Magpie?

Her casual kick-ass combat mode really stood out for me.

Love that issue!!

My favorite moments of Nura are:

1) In the Lightning Saga, where Nura says "you've never gone up against Brainaic 5"

2) Mayavale story - horrible artowrk inside the book but she kicked butt!! Great Perez cover

3) The backup story where Nura returned to her homeworld and of her people lost their precognition powers. She used just her flight ring to do some amazing feats!

4)In Superman/Batman, where she appears as Dream Woman - wow she looked HOT!!!!

5) Legion Worlds #4 - it was nice to see her become cool again after being reduced to a back-up bimbo

6) When she is in combat with Karate Kid in Waid's run and she zones out and uses her precognition in the fight

7) The Saturn Girl/Dreamer teamup when they went to Titan - great art too!

There are so many great memories but these are the top 7 that stand out.

It is a shame she "died" in Waid's run as she really stood to the forefront and she is what got me to love the Legion.

Good to see that she is George Perez's favorite - can't wait to see her in the upcoming Legion of 3 Worlds.

From: South Florida | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.