Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Is "Anibrainiac" really all THAT bad? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Is "Anibrainiac" really all THAT bad?
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Tonight, I finally got around to watching the "Timber Wolf" episode. I enjoyed it generally, then read thru the thread that discussed it to see how everyone reacted to it.

In general it was received positively, but the most nearly unanimous complaint was about how Brainy is portrayed in it and the series in general. The main complaints:

1) He has all these gadgety powers where all he really needs is his intelligence.

2) The above is being done to cater to the young children and sends a message that being smart is not a good enough quality for a superhero.

3) His personality is so far afield from all the different versions of Brainy thru the different LSH continuities.

But is he really all THAT bad? Maybe I'm too easy to please, but there's never, EVER been a perfect comics-to-cartoon (or to TV, or to film) adaptation of comics material that I've seen--short of some old programs I remember watching that would show still shots of panels directly taken from actual comic books complete with voiceovers (hell, maybe people even complained about those with the voices! [Big Grin] ). So as long as the cartoon or whatever is reasonably well-done, I'm usually pretty happy. AND I enjoy Anibraniac! Does that make me not a true LSH fan?!?!

Here's why he works for me:

1) Their version of Brainy is clearly inspired not by any comic version of Brainy but by the version of Brainiac (I) from "Superman: the Animated Series". I thought that vision of Brainiac was a pretty darn interesting take on the character though much different from the comics. For some folks that's the only version of Brainiac they know, so it would make sense that a character called 'Braniac 5' would resonate more with Brainiac from that series. It would be interesting to see how evolution between the two got B-5 where he is.

2) If you accept number 1, it's easier to accept that Brainy's a visually fun character to watch! Nothing wrong with "fun" in a cartoon is there? [Big Grin] I'll bet the kids are loving him--is that bad? This is supposed to be for them, remember?

3) I believe strongly that future episodes will spotlight the 12th level intelligence effectively.

4) I dunno how to explain it, but he somehow feels true to the Silver Age Brainy from the 60's to me. Even to near the end ofthe Levitz era there was a subtle childishness and innocence to the character. Okay, it's not subtle at all here, but subtlety is not a huge goal in a Saturday morning cartoon, y'know?

Now, I'm not saying that I'll necessarily like every leftfield move the animaters might take, but Brainy doesn't bother me. If they did something like having Blok talking Hulkspeak, that would bother me. But so far, I like what the cartoon is doing with the characters, and 'Anibrainiac' is no exception!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insomniac Girl
Super-Space-Ditz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insomniac Girl   Email Insomniac Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
I really like the animated version of Brainy, he’s just adorkable. Is he like the comic versions we are used to (and some of which I, for one, liked even more)? No, not really. Still, I’d rather like him to be judged on his own merits – or demerits, for that matter - than to be rejected upfront because of what he is NOT. Since this is a kid’s show we just won’t get threeboot Machiavellian Dox. Hatin’ on poor lil Anibrainy won’t bring back any old versions, either. So liking him, I think, certainly doesn’t make anyone not a “true LHS fan”. [Wink]

As for the target audience, they’ll probably dig him, completely unencumbered by any old Legion-fan baggage - after all, look at all the cool gadgety skills, they make him visually interesting and able to physically contribute to a fight, which might be more interesting to watch for the kids than him just sitting around and thinking his way out of things, if I try looking at it from a producer-logic POV.

And they seem to be toning down his fighting prowess already (at least I hope so). Forty-store-high Stompy the Robot Boy from the pilot was what I thought might overpower his role as the brains of the ensemble, but so far there thankfully wasn’t a repeat of that, and his smarts are still emphasised as his main asset (even if portraying super-smarts might prove difficult in children’s programming, I guess? So far they just keep telling the viewers, not showing. That’s a whole different matter, though). I can live with him like that.

Hmm, you christening him Anibrainy makes me wanna go all Elmira on him, actually.

Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Actually, I didn't come up with "Anibrainiac"--that was a derogatory term I saw oft-used in the "Timber Wolf" thread!

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
My only issue is the same as if they made Karate Kid have the power to turn into a fire-breathing dragon or shoot plasma bolts out of his butt. Brainiac (and Karate Kid, and Triplicate Girl, to an extent) are the Legionnaires who best replicate the sorts of lessons that, IMO, kids most need.

Being smart *is* a super-power. Being dedicated and working hard to better yourself makes KK as good as any other hero. Working together allows a group of 'normal girls' to be as effective as a super-hero.

Superboy, Lightning Lad, etc. are all not just collections of powers (even if they started out that way...). They've got very real, very human qualities that make them heroes. (Hence them not being members of the LSV or Fatal Five.)

IMO, the three characters I've listed are the most important to get right, as it makes them accessible to people (including those short ones called children).

Brainiac isn't just a tinker-toy transformer bot, he's *smart,* and that's supposed to be his power. I'm totally fine with them making him emotionally immature, and having a case of hero-worship of Superboy. I'm fine with him being a robot. I'm fine with him not being a mustachio-twirling manipulator or snarky jerkhole ('cause I always hated that stereotype, that 'smart' automatically equals 'jerk' or 'socially inept'). I'm not fine with him having all sorts of funky super-powers to fall back on, instead of using his *brain* to solve problems. He's *Brainiac* not 'Giant Super-Robotiac,' just as Karate Kid should be based on *Karate* not some other pseudo-related thing like Tao Alchemy.

It's not perfect cut-outs of powers, or even personalities I want to see, it's character who accurately represent the *theme* of the characters. Brainy, KK and Triad all embody the concept that *you* can be 'super,' if you study hard, train yourself or work together with friends to accomplish more than you could do solo.

Same with other Legionnaires, *theme* trumps 'perfect accuracy,' IMO.

Wildfire and Dawnstar aren't popular with long-term fans because she can't shut her trap about her darn tracking sense or because he's got the power to shoot energy from his hands ('cause really, as powers go, that's hardly rare...). It's their humanity, and their *characters* that matter, and make them more than 'chick who talks too much about her powers' and 'dude who whines too much about being immortal, unkillable and freakishly powerful.'

A lot of Legionnaires work that way. Shadow Lass is *vastly* unlikely to have made it through the Legion recruitment, since just about every excuse ever applied to rejecting someone applies to her lame power. But she's an amazing fun *character,* and that makes her 'work.'

Giving Vi the power to grow larger, as Leviathan, was, IMO, an example of a mistake. Too much of her personality stemmed from a Napoleon Complex, a need to prove herself, and kick the holy living crap out of anyone who 'sold her short' or 'belittled' her contributions, so to speak. (Puns intended) Giving her the powers of Colossal Boy, IMO, cheapened her character.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by LARDLAD:
Actually, I didn't come up with "Anibrainiac"--that was a derogatory term I saw oft-used in the "Timber Wolf" thread!

As the actual inventor of said term, I'll chime in and mention that it wasn't intended as derogatory. I was kind of hoping it would catch on...
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree with Set.

But, I've come to accept Anibrainiac despite it all.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Awesomegirl
Queen of Awesome

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awesomegirl   Email Awesomegirl         Edit/Delete Post     
I, personally, am just fine with Brainy being a robot, which kind of makes sense since the original Braniac was a robot. Although I can see where the fans are coming from,with only needing his mind to solve problems, I think him being able to turn into a giant robot or whatnot makes him more effective in battle. As far as personality goes, before the show even started, I thought he was going to be completly emotionless, and then I thought he was going to be like, this happy-go-lucky type, but I'm glad they didn't go to either extremes.
I know this is kindof off topic, but I wish people( an I don't mean you guys) would stop complaining about how Saturn girls eye brows are weird, or how its Superman instead of Superboy, or how Bouncing Boy shouldn't be in the main cast because he's too "lame"( he's one of my favorites by the way)I mean, I guess those things just don't bother me as much, but still.

Okay, I'm done ranting now [Frown]

--------------------
"Do, or do not. There is no try." -Yoda

From: Naboo | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Good points have been raised on both sides of this debate (and thanks, Lardy, for starting this thread. A good debate keeps things lively).

I agree with Set that characters such as Triplicate Girl and Karate Kid are important because they send a message that ordinary kids can be powerful, too. I would add Bouncing Boy to that list, as well, since his overweightness and misjudged power make him the most universally "ordinary" Legionnaire of all.

But I've never thought of Brainy as belonging to that group. Brainy's super-intelligence always struck me as harder for kids to identify with than, say, the powers of Lightning Lad or Superboy/man -- and less desirable than either because, let's face it, intelligence isn't as flashy as lightning or strength, speed, and x-ray vision.

For this reason, I don't think that "Anibraniac" hinders the theme of the character. Rather, since Brainy is so intelligent, he (presumably) has built or rebuilt his own body and, therefore, is a living testimony to the power of his own intelligence. (Of course, I could be wrong, as they haven't given us an origin yet.)

I'm liking the character more and more -- not because of his robotic abilities, but in spite of them. As long as a character has an engaging personality and believable interactions with other characters, I can forgive almost any alteration to powers and costumes.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Hmm... while I'm not a huge fan of the changes to Anibrainiac, I guess the thing is that I find them far less offensive than many of the other changes we've had to endure through various adaptations of the Legion. At least it's grounded in the history of the character.

Although, it's probably worth pointing out that the original Brainiac being a robot was itself a retcon.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
4) I dunno how to explain it, but he somehow feels true to the Silver Age Brainy from the 60's to me. Even to near the end ofthe Levitz era there was a subtle childishness and innocence to the character.

You know... this may be why I'm actually kind of digging the animated version. I'm actually tired of the arrogant/anti-social Brainiac that we've gotten since '94 or so, and this is really a refreshing change of portrayal for the character, which does kind of seem like a cartoony version of the original.
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
quote:
4) I dunno how to explain it, but he somehow feels true to the Silver Age Brainy from the 60's to me. Even to near the end ofthe Levitz era there was a subtle childishness and innocence to the character.

You know... this may be why I'm actually kind of digging the animated version. I'm actually tired of the arrogant/anti-social Brainiac that we've gotten since '94 or so, and this is really a refreshing change of portrayal for the character, which does kind of seem like a cartoony version of the original.
I'll echo this sentiment.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Sometimes I forget that the Brainys who've been around since the Zero Hour reboot are a LOT different than Classic Brainy in some ways. He was a romantic at heart, very emotional and usually pretty social...not the sort of Vulcan/Romulan blend he's evolved into post-ZH. I'm not saying at all that the modern portrayal is necessarily a bad thing, but Anibrainy is actually closer to the classic version. And that's not a bad thing either!

--------------------

Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
I'm actually tired of the arrogant/anti-social Brainiac that we've gotten since '94 or so
Yeah, hence my caveat above that I don't mind him being *nice* or even a robot (and I actually like both of those parts), it's the whole transformer war-bot thing I'm not so keen on since it detracts, IMO, from his super-power of being really, really smart.

I don't want loyalty to the nitpicky details (which have changed a half-dozen times since I started reading these comics), I want loyalty to the characters theme.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wndola1
Ex-Female Fury

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wndola1   Author's Homepage   Email wndola1         Edit/Delete Post     
Well... episode 4 made him just a little darker... and I like Brainy dark... You get the impression he is playing the cute kid for the advantage that it gets him. Maybe by next season we will see something a little less fisher price.

--------------------
http://twitter.com/wndola
http://www.diversionarium.com
http://wndola.livejournal.com

From: New England | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I think the "war-bot" thing would be better if he didn't "transform" into it, but if it were something he kept at base and could plug into.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.