Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » LSH31 #16 Solitiations and Cover (spoilers) (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: LSH31 #16 Solitiations and Cover (spoilers)
Doctor One
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctor One   Email Doctor One         Edit/Delete Post     
I loved it, too. Made me laugh out loud, and that doesn't happen all that often. Great issue.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
My review is up.

(Hint: I liked it.)

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew K. Manning
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew K. Manning   Email Matthew K. Manning         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for the kind words, Doctor One and rouge. And thanks for the glowing review, Matthew. I'm really flattered you guys liked the comic so much, as it was an idea that I had several years ago, and finally got the chance to bring it to life with this issue.

Oh, and about the Durlan mention by the newscaster, that was actually supposed to be a ticker that ran in Interlac at the bottom of the screen (which would explain why it's a bit more shorthand than dialog), so it was just meant as a minor little play on words for sharp-eyed readers who knew what Durlans were. Now that I think about it, I probably had Waid's Chameleon interpretation somewhere in the back of my mind when I wrote that...

Anyway, thanks again for the kind words, guys, and if anyone else has any comments on the issue, good or bad, I'd love to hear them.

Matthew K. Manning

--------------------
www.matthewkmanning.com
www.comicspace.com/matthewkmanning

From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Heh,

That was good.

I second Rouge. My absolute favorite page was Starfinger in his "lair." Lol. "wanna buy one"

Lifts in his shoes?

Cover to last page kept me entertained. (and all in ONE self enclosed issue comicsfans!!!) I'm way too old for this book. [Smile]

For nothing would I exchange what Shooter and Manipul are doing but this one will hit my favorite "single-issues" list. Thanks.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lass Girl
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lass Girl   Email Lass Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
This issue is just loaded with visual gags, even on the cover! Besides his obvious ability to make his arm fall off, Floyd aka Arm-Fall-Off Boy (of course) has the power to freak people out! Can’t say that I blame them.

Any good fiction writer knows that one of the most fundamental rules of good writing is “show and don’t tell.” Too many comic books today are guilty of doing just the opposite. Showing seems to be a lost art in the comic book world. There are times when the writer has to “tell.” This issue has great examples of both.

The best moment for me was the two-page spread of Floyd looking at a photo album (who took those pictures anyway). There’s no exposition, not even a punctuation mark. He just gazes longingly at the pictures. Floyd’s facial expression, “shows” us rather than “tells” us how discouraged he is. Nicely done!

Before that, he’s staring at posters of Phantom Girl and starts monologing. This is one of those moments where telling is better than showing. The reader finds out that the reason he wants to join the Legion is to escape the stigma of being seen as a freak. He especially thinks that Phantom Girl will understand him. I’ve commented before on how insightful and understanding Tinya can be. I like that fact that Floyd noticed that. In the end, she lets him try on her flight ring. The results were very comical.

I honestly didn’t expect to like Floyd this much. He’s gotten more character development in one issue than most of the other regular characters have gotten in the previous 15 issues and in 2 animated seasons! Floyd is a sympathetic character, but he doesn’t just sit around wallowing in self-pity. He gets up and takes action. I admire that trait in people in general. When life knocks them down, they just get back up!

Finally, I loved his interaction with his mother. It’s a brief scene, but it shows you what kind of relationship they have. I love the way she just stands there waiting for Floyd to come back for his arm. It looks like she’s been though this hundreds of times. She’s longsuffering yet sassy. She knows what the deal is! Reminds me of MY mother.

I’ll end with my favorite exchange.

Cosmic Boy: Wait, did he just…
Brainiac 5: Throw his own arm? I’m afraid so.

[ July 13, 2008, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Lass Girl ]

From: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gim's Bro
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gim's Bro   Email Gim's Bro         Edit/Delete Post     
I think the style of the comic is allowing for a lot more expresivness. Becuase it isn't trying to tell multiple, grand, multi-issue tales, we get a lot of very charming moments. I loved the three panel sequence in which PG is looking at Lloyd without changing her expression at all. It communicated beautifully the effort of trying to communicate and impress and watching the try fail -- for what seems like an eternity, when you're the one feeling it.
Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree with Matthew E, that Matthew Manning deserves a regular gig with the Legion if not here than a DCU based one is fine with me.

Definitely the best issue of this series to date and one of my all-time favorite done-in-one issues like BB says.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
Another round of applause for Mr. Manning. The first page was outrageously funny, and it just got better from there. Endearing, pitch-perfect characters, and a beautifully-paced, done-in-one story that made me smile again and again. I couldn't wish for anything more.
From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew K. Manning
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew K. Manning   Email Matthew K. Manning         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey guys, it's Floyd not Lloyd. Geez, don't you think Arm-Fall-Off-Boy has suffered through enough already?

But seriously, thanks again for all the praise. I'm really glad this one rates high with everyone. But don't forget Shawn McManus' great work on this issue, either. That scene where Starfinger lights up when Floyd's hand waves to him had me laughing, and I wrote the joke. Shawn's expressions are just that good.

Thanks again, guys, and keep an eye out for The Batman Strikes # 49, on sale September 3rd. It may not be up your alley, since it's not a Legion tale, but it certainly shares a bit of this story's light-hearted atmosphere.

Matthew K. Manning

--------------------
www.matthewkmanning.com

From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lass Girl
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lass Girl   Email Lass Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Matthew K. Manning:
Hey guys, it's Floyd not Lloyd. Geez, don't you think Arm-Fall-Off-Boy has suffered through enough already?

My bad. *edits post*

[ July 13, 2008, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Lass Girl ]

From: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Read it last night... nice! Arm-Fall-Off Boy fans will be pleased-- he did, after all, take out Starfinger. He deserved to be proud.

This was probably my favorite issue since # 3 which featured Infectious Lass. I tend to like the issues that focus on Legion-centric characters like Drura and Floyd better than the issues that deal with present-day DCU stuff shoehorned in the 30th century (although there have been some interesting issues featuring the latter).

I've been a Shawn McManus fan since the OMEGA MEN days.

This series with its "done in one" approach is the cure for overextended TPB-arcs-itis.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
ARM Fall-off Boy defeats StarFINGER?

Contrived or Kismet?

Readers want to know!

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
My first issue of the "Kiddie book"... I was totally surprised, it was simple, it was enjoyable, it was... fun!

I really am going to hunt down the first 15 issues - never was able to see the cartoon cause it's not running in Germany and there is not complete season DVD out yet (and even if it is, it will take some time to get over here) so this is a first for me Legion oldtimer... Arms Fall Off Boy, I just love those obscure Legion characters...

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephbarton
Possibly an evil Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
Whew, sorry for taking so long to post my thoughts, I've been busy busy busy (plus I don't go to the comic store as much anymore).

Well, this was my favorite issue for the two weeks when it came out (and one of my favorites for the month). I must have reread this thing three times when I brought it back from the store.

you really feel for floyd and this issue has just one good thing after another. Once again I'm really impressed and just really entertained by this comic.

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew K. Manning
Advisor

Hey guys, thanks again for your kind words on this issue. I'm truly sorry to see this book be canceled, but it's great to see fans trying out the comic for the first time even still.

If any of you are also Batman fans, check out Batman Strikes # 49, coming out on September 3rd. It's my last issue for that title as well, since this cancelation bug seems to be contagious.

Thanks again for all the support, everyone.

Matthew K. Manning

--------------------
www.matthewkmanning.com

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.