Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » The All Captain Comet Thread (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The All Captain Comet Thread
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, I thought I had read somewhere else that this was an all-new "Captain" Comet? That would obviously contradict the Newsarama article that focused on Blake as Comet for "all these years..." and him being an older hero now (like with his greying hair in the Rann-Thanagar War.

What really matters to me is, are we going to see some L.E.G.I.O.N.naires during this series. Doesn't sound like it, since it focuses on Wierd and Comet.

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
The report from Wizard World Philly made mention of a "new" Captain Comet.

Starlin's interview suggests it's just an update being made to the original character.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
I fear OM is so right -- how many times can Starlin tell the same story? Why should we buy it again. Cobie, I thought I was the only one that had forgotten The Weird. Wasn't there some really pointless, overly long story with the JLA? It would have been so much better to have some new blood on this.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Newsarama has a new interview with Shane Davis along with some looks at his work on the series.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
See, the Davis article also says "new" Captain Comet.

Not a good sign for the old one...

And I never read "Hardcore Station", but from Shane's artwork, "Eye" sure looks like an Emerald Empress with the Emerald Eye.

In the end, all I can say is, thank God they're finally bringing back "The Weird"! [LOL]

(sorry, I know the sarcasm meter just overloaded...)

--------------------
Craig C.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by doublechinner:
I fear OM is so right -- how many times can Starlin tell the same story?

Strangely a church... of Space is the center of the upcoming Anderson Gabrych written Omega Men limited series too.
Omega Men (Newsarama) This one has Vril Dox though.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Crap. Now my A-Rness kicks in, and I have to buy the Omega Men series due to L.E.G.I.O.N...

[Roll Eyes]

Oh well, it could be worse, at least it is a mini. Good to see Doc survived after all, I felt bad for him in the Adam Strange story. [Frown]

--------------------
Craig C.

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Newsarama now has previews for a number of comics, including Mystery in Space #1.

Interesting giveaway in the preview pages, I will say.

(Note for those of you who read the discussion: The "OM" referenced in that thread is *not* me.)

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Looks good. Interesting that they give that away in a preview. I'll probably still pick it up, at least for Starlin.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Mystery in Space #1

Click Here For A SpoilerThe starting point for both stories occurs as Captain Comet is killed by an unseen ambush or disaster. His enormous will to live and his telepathic power somehow call out to the Weird's essence and they merge for a moment before separating again. This causes both Comet and the Weird to come back to life.

Back on the Hardcore Station, Comet's talking dog Tyrone and his colleague (romantic interest?) Eye catch some thugs breaking in to Comet's place. With Comet dead, Tyrone gives the highlights of Comet's career. He mentions his origin in the 50s, the SSoSV era and the recent freelance work with L.E.G.I.O.N. in R/T war. He does not mention the lengthy membership in L.dot but he does not contradict it either.

Story ends as the dog finds the new Comet knocked out in his study. In the back-up the Weird reappears and finds himself on an Eternal Light Corp. World.

The art has a nice science fiction look to it. Davis went out of his way to populate the station with non-humanoid aliens. My one complaint is that I had a hard time figuring out the chronological order of the events in the story because of the way the scenes were strung together.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I have to say that this was a great first issue.

First the artwork. Shane Davis did some dynamite stuff. It was great looking and space age looking.

I liked the new Comet and how he came to be and his new connection. Wasn't seeing that all. Good story so far and I like what I am seeing

RIP Captain Comet, Long Live Captain Comet.

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Hey vu, was there a L.E.G.I.O.N. reference or appearance? Anal-retentive Legion fans want to know!! [Smile]

--------------------
Craig C.

rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
there was a reference for Comet working freelance for L.E.G.I.O.N at the time of the Rann/Thanagar War and how Virl and L.E.G.I.O.N are suing/withholding payment of services because Comet went to Vega to help out the outer space heroes.

other then that not much.

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad

Comet's involvement with LEGION was mentioned but only his R/T War freelance mission specifically. His earlier membership was not mentioned or contradicted. I expect that there are some revisions to LEGION continuity that havent been shown yet.
rtvu2
here we go again....

So is Tyrone a reference to MIB or some lost forgetten character?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.