Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » The All Captain Comet Thread (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The All Captain Comet Thread
GeminiInTheRough
always of two minds

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GeminiInTheRough   Email GeminiInTheRough         Edit/Delete Post     
I didn't know much about The Weird, I missed the 1988ish stuff. While I was reading The Weird's origin story in the new MIS#1, it seemed like it could have been the origin of ... Quislet! I'm trying to figure out which housing is preferable, a corpse, or a tiny little space ship ...

About Captain Comet, how come his friend refer to him as Blake at times and as Adam at times??

From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
His family name is Blake. His first name is Adam.
From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GeminiInTheRough
always of two minds

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GeminiInTheRough   Email GeminiInTheRough         Edit/Delete Post     
Cripes, thanks for clarifying the dingbat question. I was having Adam Strange interference.
From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by rtvu2:
So is Tyrone a reference to MIB or some lost forgetten character?

The name might be a nod to the movie or something else, but I believe the character is new.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I just read a friend's copy. I liked it. I always thought CC should be connected to the Legion (like others here).

Speaking of Legion? Did The Wierd's home dimension remind you of Quislet's dimension?

Also when The Wierd becomes "alive" and discovers the planet he is on is not Earth...well it did look like the 31st century earth did it not?

Which led me to think...the Legionnaires are such big fans of Earth's 20th century (to a digusting degree). You think they are trying to avoid becoming like every other planet? Keep Earth unique? But then only a handful are actually from Earth. Wierd. ohwell.

Liked this issue.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero Kahn
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zero Kahn   Email Zero Kahn         Edit/Delete Post     
I was mad when I heard it was going to be a new Captain Comet, but they way they revamped him turned out very cool. I really enjoyed this issue and liked the return of the Weird. I have heard on other boards how some thought his part of the story was to long, but when a character is as obscure as he is it pays to give a good breakdown of them.

I am just so glad that the big 2 have realized that there is a market out there for cosmic stories these days. You have the Annihilation event over at Marvel that Giffen has been the lead on just kicking all kinds of ass, The X-men in space for 12 issues in the Shiar/Fall storyline curretnly taking place in Uncanny, and the Planet Hulk storyline running in that book. DC has had the Adam Strange mini, The Rann/Thanagar War mini, the adventures of Starfire, Strange, and Animal Man in space in the 52 series, the Ion maxi series, Mystery in Space, and very soon the Omega Men and Guy Gardner: Collaterial Damgage minis. On top of the fact that both Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps books have been using the concept to great use in there own books.

I don't know what made both companys realize the great untapped potenial they had been ignoring for long, but I am truly happy they have.

From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Well, thanks to the solicitation for #4, we now see more of how this spirals out of 52.

--------------------

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

.....aaaaaannnnd #2 is here.

Comments?

--------------------

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Up to me, then, eh?

OK.

Another good issue. Shane Davis is a superstar artist in the making, and his style here adds a darker, noirish tone which goes well with the mystery. Me like.

Not sure Comet really needs a new power, but what the heck.

Tyrone seemed like a throwaway gag character when I first heard about him. That he may be, but he could also just be the breakout character of the mini. Or not. Maybe I just like talking dogs.

Starlin is writing to his strengths. Which in some ways is a means of saying that we've seen this before. The Weird story suffers from that a bit, especially when the Skeevo analogue shows up and we get a look at the guy running the Church. I also have a hunch that one of the main antagonists in the Comet story will be a reworking of something Starlin's done before, but I won't speculate here just yet. (The clue is written in blood, for those of you who have the issue.)

Still wish the "Captain" half would stay part of Comet's handle, especially since all the advertising and the book's cover still use it. I'm also not sure yet if Comet's stay in L.E.G.I.O.N. has been retconned. There's no need for it; it would be simple to reconcile this book with the '90s stuff. Heck, I worked it out after lunch today once I'd finished the Sudoku. (Not to worry, kids: I won't bore you with it.)

--------------------

Tamper Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree Shane Davis is rocking.

I haven't read much Starlin (only the Infinity things at Marvel) so I don't really mind that Starlin is playing around with his own themes.

I also don't think know whether the LEGION series has been retconned. It really isn't important, since the series is 10 years gone at this point. Vril et al. need to get the next Mystery in Space miniseries after Comet and Omega Men are finished.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
The art remains phenominal.

Like Miner, I also think Tyrone is pretty kick-ass! Talking dogs rule! I'd like to see some more new additions to the supporting cast.

Also like Miner, I don't like the loss of 'Captain' to the character's name. Starlin's own logic of it further makes it annoying.

I really like the fact that they're using the idea that Captain Comet has been a space adventurer/hero since the 1950's. That in and of itself is awesome! As long as they don't accidently say something along the lines of 'Batman helped me in the 70's', which would screw things up (which Starlin is already kinding playing with fire).

Tommy Tomorrow was great to see. I'm not a mega fan of Tommy like I am Capt. Comet or Adam Strange, so I don't mind too much what happens to him. Also, its so blantantly easy for Tommy to continue to appear that it kinds of makes it devoid of pain to see him go.

I'm really hoping for some more space adventure. I'm not quite as knowledgable of Starlin's work as some others, so that might work to my benefit.

Oh, and the Weird story just isn't really doing it for me right now. Cool looking character, but that's about all I got for compliments.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

According to the people who track this stuff, Mystery in Space #1 was the 43rd biggest selling book for September, with sales of 46,610.

I wanted better, obviously, but that's not at all bad. Especially considering the book's price and that the main character's a C-lister and the backup's even lower down the scale. (Are there such things as G-list characters?)

Still too early to gauge the book's real sales power, especially since #1 had an Adams variant cover. We'll know more in the next few months, when we can look at the rate of decline.

--------------------

Tamper Lad

I wouldn't be too dissapointed in those numbers though they arent too impressive either. Seems stronger than Adam Strange (this is a thematic sequel to that) a couple years back IIRC. Now if they can hold 32-35k I think that would be considered a ssuccess.

Number three is out. The Weird is just a little too odd but over all i'm enjoying the book.

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Anybody out there still reading this?

--------------------

Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
I've only picked up a couple of issues. Starlin's characters/aliens all look alike to me. I see one of the main baddies, and he looks like the Lord High Papal dude from Dreadstar went on the slim-fast diet...

I'd just as soon have Starlin doing Dreadstar again. That book rocked!!

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.