Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Best of the Legion Outpost (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Best of the Legion Outpost
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
From TwoMorrows Publishing, which brought us The Legion Companion. Check it out here:

http://twomorrows.com/books/bestlegionoutpost.html

Great Cockrum cover! Is this the "Legion Outpost" project Steve Lightle referred to? His name doesn't appear in the blurb.

======================================================================

Best of the Legion Outpost

Originally published in 1972 as the official newsletter of the Legion Fan
Club, the Legion Outpost soon became the premier Legion of Super-Heroes fanzine
of the 1970s, featuring contributions by fans, pros, and soon-to-be pros.
Launched at a time when the future of the Legion of Super-Heroes was in doubt, the
Legion Outpost was at the center of fan-based efforts to revive the title, and
was largely responsible for its rescue from obscurity, leading to it becoming
a runaway best-seller! This trade paperback collects the best material from
the hard-to-find fanzine, including rare interviews and articles from creators
such as Dave Cockrum, Cary Bates, and Jim Shooter, plus never-before-seen
artwork by Cockrum, Mike Grell, Jimmy Janes and others! It also features a
previously unpublished interview with Keith Giffen originally intended for the
never-published Legion Outpost #11, plus other new material! And it sports a
rarely-seen classic 1970s cover by Legion fan favorite artist Dave Cockrum!

The 160 page (plus cover), square bound 8-1/2" x 11" trade paperback with full color covers and black-and-white interiors ships November 2004.
$22 Postpaid (Canada: $24, Elsewhere: $25 Surface, $29 Airmail)

-

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capt._dallas
Co-Creator/Writer: Omega Chase

Icon 1 posted      Profile for capt._dallas           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium Crystal:

Great Cockrum cover! Is this the "Legion Outpost" project Steve Lightle referred to? His name doesn't appear in the blurb.

Yes, that is an awesome cover!

I don't think Lightle would be involved with this. This book will reprint portions of "The Legion Outpost" fanzine which ran throughout the 1970s. Legion Outpost #10 came out in 1981, if I'm not mistaken. This was all before Lightle's time on the Legion, so he shouldn't be involved.

--------------------
Omega Chase, available in stores in September: http://th3rdworld.com/comics.php

From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
WOW! I'm there! (Even though I have them all already.) I can't wait to see the new material!

Thanks for the heads up (as always, TC)! [Smile] [Element Lad]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
This is a BLESSING!!! I'm stoked!

I still remember buying LEGION OUTPOST # 10 off the rack at my cbs; I really got the sense of a BIG fanbase for the Legion; other comics didn't have fanzines sold in comic stores.

Of course, issue 11 never came out and back-issues of the OUTPOST were impossible to locate.

Rhino sent me a copy of LO # 6, which features a black & white version of the lovely Cockrum cover above, and I treasure it.

LO 10 is chock-full of great stuff:

AN OPEN NOTE OF SUICIDE, by Kim Metzger-- a funny article detailing how his re-design for Saturn Girl's costume led to the crapola costumes readers sent in for other characters.

POLITICS ON THE EDIBLE PLANET, by none other than Tom Bierbaum, about you-know-who.

BORN UNDER A TRIPLE SUN, wherein Len Rosenberg attempts astrological charts for all the Legionnaires. (I do not believe in astrology, but the article is fascinating).

THE LEGION 1966 by Harry Broertjes, detailing ADVENTURE 346-351.

Plus loads more great stuff!

Hmmm... LEGION COMPANION must have been a big hit for them to warrant this follow-up.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Awesome cover!

Love my Companion. Have to check my finances and see if I can afford this and the Cockrum tribute.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leap Year Lord           Edit/Delete Post     
Sounds interesting.

I'm curious...how does this type of thing work in regard to trademarks etc? It's not competing with DC's product (and thus depriving DC of money) and could very well spark new/renewed interest (and thus bring DC more $$). On the other hand, didn't DC once send a cease-and-desist letter to a LSH website that had ads? Does anyone know if DC is taking a cut here, or...?

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
I would expect that DC are certainly taking a cut.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chameleon Boy
World Changer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chameleon Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Chameleon Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow, is that Tinya on the front cover in that barely nothing costume thingy?? It looks like the way Dave used to draw her hair, all pushed up and back with barrets but thos goggles, ummmmm, neato!! [Big Grin]

Thanks for the heads up, I'm there too!! [Big Grin]

[Chameleon Boy]

--------------------
---Changing my Personal Circle with Courage and Love---

From: RWC, CA USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin         Edit/Delete Post     
Anyone want a copy of the 30 Year Legion Outpost Tribute for free e-mail me. I put this together and it was put out in the August 2002 Interlac APA.38 pages, I will also enclose info on Interlac and a couple of my current Interlac submissions. my e-mail address is: mranziety@yahoo.com

Kevin

From: Metro NYC also known as NJ | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MYG
Once a Legionnaire...always a Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MYG   Email MYG         Edit/Delete Post     
I wasn't a Legion fan that far back, but I already placed my order. I can't wait because I love ANYTHING Legion!!!...

[ July 14, 2004, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: MYG ]

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!!!

From: Sayreville, NJ | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
It'd be pretty hep if they'd use the coloring job that Dean Lee did on that cover a while back. It put's the one above to shame.
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Is this solicited in this month's Previews? I can't find it anywhere....?
From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
[Bump]

Are you trying to ignore me, Mrs. Robinson?

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chameleon Boy
World Changer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chameleon Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Chameleon Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Hi Caunotaucarius,

I don't see it anywhere. I'm looking at the offerings for TWOMORROWS Publishing and all that's there are O/A Against the Grain: Mad Artist Wallace Wood SC, the O/A The Wallace Wood Checklist SC and G-Force Animated: The Official Battle of hte Planets Guidebook SC. That's IT!!

Maybe next month?? I get my subs from N.I.C.E. and they don't send anything unless it's available in Previews. Kinda sux but I guess that's how they go business. I read all the time that others are like 2 issues ahead of me and makes me wonder what that's all about??

Oh well, and life goes on............. [Big Grin]

[Chameleon Boy]

--------------------
---Changing my Personal Circle with Courage and Love---

From: RWC, CA USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
You can order it from your local B. Dalton or Barnes & Noble store... not sure about bn.com.

The date we show there is in late September... or was last week, anyway.

Todd

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.