Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » DCU Legacies in the Future? short answers (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: DCU Legacies in the Future? short answers
235 - Andy S
Check out the VOTE-A-MATIC now!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 235 - Andy S   Author's Homepage   Email 235 - Andy S         Edit/Delete Post     
in various legion eras, we've caught glimpses of the legacies of various DCU characters - Superman, Green Lantern, Flash, Luthor, Starman, L.E.G.I.O.N., Brainiac, Shazam, HERO...

which were your favorite and/or which DCU legacy has been oddly missing for you?

From: Lauderhill, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
pt.1 - I got a huge kick out of the future Superman stories (the one allergic to seawater) those were pure comic book fun.

pt.2 - What happens to Firestorm? He disappears after the 21stC. as far as I know. Shouldn't he be some kind of energy being with an indefinite lifespan?

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I actually have two opinions about this. On one hand, I wish the stories of what will happen 1000 years in the future had more direct ties to what's happening now. Like what will become of the 31st century descendants of the JLA? We kinda got that preboot, but only in minor appearances. This was cleverly shown in the "Who Shot Laurel Kent?" story. I really liked all that. I really liked Laurel Kent, though I must admit her visuals had a lot to do with it.

My other opinion is that the Legion should be made up of characters that have no direct ties to the past. Therefore, there is plenty of creative freedom as far as what can be done with them. This is largely how it is (or has been), with obvious complications like the whole Superman family. These complications have led to the reboot(s).

Sorry, 235-AndyS, not really a short answer, but it is how I feel.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
235 - Andy S

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 235 - Andy S   Author's Homepage   Email 235 - Andy S         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sketch Lad:
I actually have two opinions about this.
Sorry, 235-AndyS, not really a short answer, but it is how I feel.

That's actually very similar to where I land - seeing & waffling between "too much continuity" vs. "richly textured".

That's why I wanted to see how others thought. Helps me see sides I never thought of (or story ideas that are brilliant & exciting).

From: Lauderhill, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
My favorite Legionnaire was always the
pre-Crisis Superboy, so the Legion isn't
the Legion to me without him ...

Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

I feel the same way BB but the ownership squabble has ruined any chances of getting a young Kal-el back in the Legion. I know it bites but we have to have a Legion that can live and entertain without mini-blue.
Kon-el just doesn't fill his boots, y'know?

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
We never saw much of a Batman legacy. Sure, there was that guy who was killed during the Levitz era (a detective, I think), but he hardly counts.

I would definitely like to see the Superman lineage revisited in some manner, even if it's a lower-powered character. In fact, I'd prefer a Supergirl-style character in this role.

The other possibility is a Green Lantern of some sort, but that might make the team too powerful.

Sketch Lad - I think Laurel Kent was vague enough. It always seemed to be that Laurel claimed to be descended from Superman but that there was no proof. (Though I guess the kryptonite bullet would be proof enough - but then, she ended up being a Manhunter anyway.)

Yellow Kid - I kind of see your point, and that's why I'd prefer a new, future version of someone from the Superman Family (a descendent, or alleged descendent). Hmm...a little tweaking of Kristen Wells, maybe?

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
235 - Andy S

quote:
Originally posted by ferroboy:
We never saw much of a Batman legacy. Sure, there was that guy who was killed during the Levitz era (a detective, I think), but he hardly counts.

i always thought that was kind of a rip-off
the Bat is SO huge in DC that it would be weird to not see any trace of the legacy in a 'heroic' age or even anywhere on DC Earth
1000 years isn't that far from now
i mean, if the Angkor Wat can remain so amazingly preserved in cambodia for 1000 years (and i've been and they are amazing), wouldn't the batcave, atlantis, the fortress of solitude, the rock of eternity, paradise island (or whatever it's called now)?
i mean, the Flash Museum still exists!

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, they did visit the Batcave during the first Computo story.

Braniac 5 was considered to be an expert on Batman (something that I think cropped up in a story ot two, as well as his Who's Who entry).

That, and an excavation of the Batcave hosted by Tenzil during TMK are the only Bat-references I recall.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TenzilKem3004
Ambassador from Legion_3004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TenzilKem3004   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't think that EVERY character from our era should have a corresponding version in the 31st century, but all the basics SHOULD. Especially with the new Legion series focusing on the characters taking great inspiration from the past, there should be a few members on the team that have taken the Legacy. More reason why Waid/Kitson should bring back XS... snazz her costume up, call her Kid Flash and you'll be good to go.

Of course I wouldn't mind a descendant of John Constantine in the future. Anyone who reads Hellblazer (or Sandman) knows that his family is ages old... So why not a thousand more years? Wishful thinking....

--------------------
"Tenzil Kem, at your soivice!"

Mr. Waid, BRING BACK TENZIL!

JOIN THE CAUSE: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/legion_3004 (The SOURCE for Waid/Kitson's Legion fandom)

From: Rockledge, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

I've got a perfect idea for dragging a Kryptonian legacy into the Legion. The Phantom Zone still has people sentenced to punishment by a long dead civilization floating around y'know. I'd like to see Mark do something with that.
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Not a bad idea, Yellow Kid. Why couldn't a Kryptonian villain be reformed after all that time? That way we'd have a Kryptonian, maybe even one trying to live up to Superman's legacy, but we don't have to worry about whether or not Superman has children.

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EuroMutt
flight, super strength & super territory marking

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EuroMutt   Email EuroMutt         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, according to the Phantom Zone Logic YK & fb, you have Mon-El... I mean Valor, still in the Phantom Zone. He doesn't even have to reform.

I think a balance between legacy and inovation is imporant. I loved XS in the Legion. I thought she was a great addition that paid homage to the Flash mythos, but wasn't totally derivitive to every other speedster charater.

As for Batman, I've always felt that he shouldn't have a connection in the Legion's time. He's just human for one thing, and for another he has never had a lot of attention on himself, by design. So while the bright super-heroes are known well, Bats kind of slipped through the cracks and is only really known as a curiosity. Think of him as Scipio (the Roman general who fought Hannibal) - historians know who he is and what he did, but does anyone else in the world?

--------------------
-j.

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EuroMutt
flight, super strength & super territory marking

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EuroMutt   Email EuroMutt         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, forgot to mention that I think that some great current day connections could be added by showing some of the immortal characters are around. the only problem with this is that most are supernatural, and the Legion usually is at odds with magical things. But to see Jason Blood, The Phantom Stranger, Vandal Savage, etc. would be kinda cool.

--------------------
-j.

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

I'd like to see Vandal Savage pop up sometime, that might be pretty cool. I thought DnA really had to stretch to use Ras al Ghul as a Legion badguy but if I never see Darkseid again it'll be too soon.
We saw descendants of Atlanteans in Legionnaires but as far as I can remember offhand we haven't seen any of them since. I wonder if a descendant of Oliver Queen would pick a different archaic weapon and go by the name of the Green Bullet?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.