Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » DCU Legacies in the Future? short answers (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: DCU Legacies in the Future? short answers
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
Loved seeing the legacy of Shazam in the future... I didn't even mind Thunder all that much, although I do think the character wasn't used well at all.
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
I like the notion that the (now) 21st century heroes represent a lost heroic age to the Legion's time, like Homer's Ilead and Odyssey. This way, most tangible evidence is gone or hidden, but hints occasionally surface. That way you don't have to deal with Themiscyra or Atlantis in the Legion's time.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliconDream
I'd rather not be

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiliconDream   Email SiliconDream         Edit/Delete Post     
The Flash legacy always seemed oddly stunted to me in the Legionverse, given that almost every future era has a Flash and, thanks to running the timestream every week or so, they practically all know each other by name! To me the Flash dynasty is the leading Earth-based superhero lineage of the DC universe. Not to mention that Barry Allen & kids lived in the Legion's recent past and present.

That said, on literary grounds I prefer to have most legacies initially dormant. The Legion should be by far the most important good guys in the 30th century, and should be the first heralds of a new heroic age.

So I also thought XS was a great compromise--clearly part of the Flash dynasty, but not knowing much about it and needing the Legion's help to find her way as a heroine. I think one of the Legion's functions should be to inspire heirs of the various legacies in that manner, even if they don't actually end up joining.

One of the better ideas I saw for a future legacy was in Starman, where Ted Knight's cosmic energy technology became the main power source for human spacecraft. I thought that was a great way to have a hero leave a lasting effect on the future, instead of just having "Starman 3000" around to remind everybody.

Unfortunately, they simultaneously decided to also have a Starman 3000 in the form of Thom Kallor, which was just plain silly.

From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by doublechinner:
I like the notion that the (now) 21st century heroes represent a lost heroic age to the Legion's time, like Homer's Ilead and Odyssey. This way, most tangible evidence is gone or hidden, but hints occasionally surface. That way you don't have to deal with Themiscyra or Atlantis in the Legion's time.

I'm not sure that Themiscyra and Atlantis present a problem in this respect. Diana could be dead, off-planet, or simply retired. The Amazons themselves could even be closed off in another dimension (maybe with the gods). And preboot Atlantis was more or less a vacation resort rather than a mythological city associated with heroes. That depiction could still work out.

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PolarBoy
Drunk in 4 different threads

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PolarBoy   Email PolarBoy         Edit/Delete Post     
A thing that makes the Legion so exciting is also that it is about a whole galaxy full of Alien worlds so I think it would bog it down to much to have a team full of earth based legacies. Admitedly they had XS from another planet (Which I never quiet understood) But I did like how Thunder was a hero of the far Future of Fawsett World there was a lot of potential there. It might be interesting to have a member who is the latest incarnation of a long line of Xanthu heros but I guess that was sort of done with Shadow lass.

--------------------
:polarboy:

From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I would like the Flash to have a legacy in the Legion like XS personally and a Green Lantern.

As far as Superman? Eh. I saw Superboy, Dev-Em, Supergirl, and Mon-El all as legacies sort of. Now I rather just have Mon-El even as a Daxam but still as Superman legacy.

It would be fun to do a bunch more but I just think it would get complicated.

Jorge

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Director Lad
aka Sudro Brown II

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Director Lad   Email Director Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not generally a fan of legacy characters popping up in Legion. Someone said above that 1000 years isn't that long, but think about it: how many historical figures from 1000 years ago still have family legacies in the 21st century? Can we name any of William the Conquerer's descendants?

I far prefer the idea of the Legion looking back on a distant age of heroes and taking inspiration from their example, rather than the descendants of today's heroes, 50 generations removed, carrying on their ancestor's heroics.

From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
235 - Andy S
Check out the VOTE-A-MATIC now!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 235 - Andy S   Author's Homepage   Email 235 - Andy S         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Director Lad:
I'm not generally a fan of legacy characters popping up in Legion. Someone said above that 1000 years isn't that long, but think about it: how many historical figures from 1000 years ago still have family legacies in the 21st century? Can we name any of William the Conquerer's descendants?

I agree about history. I laugh sometimes at US Presidents who are worried about how history will remember them. Who remembers the names of Presidents even 40 years after their term?

as for heroes, i like what Silicon Dream said - that it would make sense for the Legion to be the forefront of heroes for their age

From: Lauderhill, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Andy on a history standpoint with presidents? Look at the Kennedy's? People are still interested in them today. He was president 40 years ago. Both Roosevelt's are pretty popular...Teddy almost mythic.

Director Lad makes a good point though. We remember Richard the Lionheart but his kids aren't running around today are they? (ok all of euro royalty are cousins 3 times over but whatever)

Honoring the past but no actualy legacy characters make sense. I like it.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I have no interest in seeing any descendents of 21st century heroes (how about 23rd or 26th century heroes while we're at it?). What would interest me is seeing how certain concepts have developed in a thousand years. I wouldn't mind seeing what the Guardians are up to - if there are any GL's around in space or maybe they started a new organization? Same with the Amazons and Atlanteans - have they integrated into 31st century earth civilization or still have their own domains? etc...
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not really interested about how this incarnation fits into DCU history, the Legion should be a seperate entity IMO, but if pushed I would like to see the Amazons mostly, and the Vegans, and possibly the Green Lanterns, oh and definitely Gorilla City descendants, and also the Phantom Stranger and.. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Personally I'd like to keep the 21st Century heroes/villains/cultures/etc as far away from the Legion-verse as possible.

If I want to read about the Guardians I'll read Green Lantern, if I want to read about Batman villains I'll read Batman, if I want to read about how those characters are in the future then I'll just wait for one of those 'alternative future' storylines that roll around every couple of years or so.

I read the Legion for the elements that only the Legion can provide.

And I *hate* it when changes to the present day DCU characters ripple out and f*ck up the nice orderly status quo of the Legion-verse. See Superboy (Kal-El) for the most obvious example of this.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.