Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » More Levitz Legion Trades? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: More Levitz Legion Trades?
Invisible Man
Covert

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Man           Edit/Delete Post     
Am I the first to have noticed?

From CBR: WWLA: DCU - COUNTDOWN TO CRISIS
Didio on Legion in "Action Comics":

quote:
"With the Legion of Super-Heroes in 'Action Comics' - are we going to see them more?" asked a fan. DiDio explained that the Legion will be celebrated in a lot of ways, as it's the 50th anniversary of the team.
Blah blah - but more important:

Didio on the future of the Legion publications:
quote:
More Levitz "Legion of Super-Heroes" trades?

"Yes."

YAY!
Which arc(s) do you think the likeliest?
I suppose "Earth War" is overdue, since they've witheld the Archives for so long. Of the top of my head I can't think of other really "marketable" arcs...

Your thoughts?

Cheers,
Invisible Man
- delurking/decloaking -

From: Invisible College | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephbarton
Possibly an evil Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
hmmm, Earth War (would love to read that) would be good, I'm not sure but I think the 'Who is Sensor Girl' arc would be great, it's pretty rockin, I'm just not sure if it's Crisis connection (Earth 1 Supergirl mentioned) would hurt it, but I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be collected. Maybe the Universo arc (only four parts but I enjoyed it, I'm sure they could find filler material).

Maybe the Pocket Universe story? again, because of all the Crisis stuff maybe not, but I think that could be a possibility.

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Isn't the Pocket Universe story already in Trade via those Byrne era Superman books?

The trouble with tpb of the Baxter series and most of the 80s soap opera type series (I'm looking at you Claremont's Uncanny X-Men) is the way plot threads could unwind over several years.

I would think Universo Project is a good choice and Sensor Girl stuff is a natural sequel to the LSV trade recently released. The Conspiracy story is quite good and is a natural sequel to the Pocket Universe thing but that would open another can of worms because that is definitely not in the canon of the current Geoff Johns version.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidflash2fan
could be rabid

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidflash2fan   Author's Homepage   Email kidflash2fan         Edit/Delete Post     
any thing at this point would be good for me i hate have to find new comic shops with back issues(i tend to clean out the ones i go to on my by me)....i Always get that "oh a girl in a comic shop."

--------------------
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions

From: ny | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
My thoughts were: Earth War (many people seem to be very fond of this storyline - and it was the first real multi-parter in legion history) and Universo Project.

Conspiracy was very good, but I don't know how it would work as an isolated story without reading what had happened before. Magic Wars, obviously, would be another option.

The Greatest Hero of them all might be an option when the actual Superboy is squeezed back into Legion continuity after the lawsuits are over. But will they ever be???

How about... OMEN? [Smile]

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askanipsion
Telepath

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askanipsion   Author's Homepage   Email Askanipsion         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chemical King:
My thoughts were: Earth War (many people seem to be very fond of this storyline - and it was the first real multi-parter in legion history)

What issues was Earth War? I never read that story. Is Dreamer part of it?
From: South Florida | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I haven't read Earth War either, and Levitz is my favorite LSH writer, so I'd certainly snap up a trade collecting it.

The issues are Superboy & the LSH # 241-245. I think the year was 1977 or 1978.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree Earth War would be a great trade. I would love to see Levitz first storyline featuring the death of Chemical King collected with some other stories... maybe Garth and Imra's wedding.

Askipsion, all of the active Legionnaires except Tyroc, the Legion of Substitue Heroes, and the retired members appeared in Earth War. Nura was Dream Girl then, not Dreamer. She appeared but didn't play a huge role.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askanipsion
Telepath

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askanipsion   Author's Homepage   Email Askanipsion         Edit/Delete Post     
Thank you both for the info !

I hope they don't wait until Comic Con to announce what trades they will release - don't want to wait that long!

Universo Project was a great story and would make a great trade

From: South Florida | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd like to see the first part of his 2nd run as a trade paperback.

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero Kahn
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zero Kahn   Email Zero Kahn         Edit/Delete Post     
Earth War/Omega -Superboy/Legion 240-251
Reflecto - Superboy/Legion 274-282

Sure they are not strictly all Levitz but they are still good choices and he did work on some of the issues in both.

A trade collecting the issues after the ones in the first trade is also a good choice. Maybe collect issues 7-15 or so of the baxter series.

From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah Reflecto I'm not so sure about that [Smile]

Just recently reread the storyline, and though the Perez covers were simply fantastic, the story had a lot to be complained about... Grimbor squeezing the air out of Earths atmosphere with his giant chains? Hmmmmmmmmm that's very far out, to say the least...

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colossal Boy
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Colossal Boy   Email Colossal Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
Askipsion, all of the active Legionnaires except Tyroc, the Legion of Substitue Heroes, and the retired members appeared in Earth War. Nura was Dream Girl then, not Dreamer. She appeared but didn't play a huge role.[/QB]

Actually Tyroc did make a cameo in Earth War and I think even showed up in a panel or two as a bottled Legionaire even though he was supposed to be on detached duty or another mission or something like that.

The Subs did appear in Earth War and are even on one of the covers (243?) Chuck and Lu appeared as well. There's a scene where the married Legionaires (Chuck-Lu, Garth-Imra) are coming back in a ship to save the day.

By the end of issue 245 all living Legionaires except Supergirl and Matter-Eater Lad will have made an appearance as well as all of the active Subs at that time. You don't see any of the Legion Reserve or Legion Academy though.

I've always wondered if the reason ME Lad didn't appear was because Levitz knew Starlin's story had him going insane after eating the Miracle Machine, but due to the well-documented problems with that story it caused the Starlin Omega story to be published after Earth War instead of before.

Hmm. Thinking about it now - the Brainy goes nuts storyline would make a good trade. Maybe with the restored pages (if they exist or re-created) Of the Omega story included.

Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm. I just flipped through the isssues, Colossal Boy, and I'm not seeing Tyroc in any of the bottles or group shots. His face is shown on the mission monitor board on page 4 of #241. The words "Special Assignment/Earthgov" appear under his image, and Brainiac 5 mentions that he is on detached duty. If I'm missing something, please point out the page and issue.

The situation you describe where Tyroc appears in background shots in spite of being explained as being away on special assignment does occur in the "Secrets of the Legion of Super Heroes" mini series.

Tyroc gets some group shots and a bit of dialogue, but no action ,in the Omega stroyline and the Garth and Imra wedding special. This was all very infuriating.

I have an incredible respect for Paul Levitz and love so much of his Legion work. However, his total disregard for Tyroc is something I've never been able to get over. I understand his objections to Tyroc's origin story, but he is/was a writer. He could have written his way out of his conflicted feelings in a way that was much more respectful of the character's fans and his potential as a character.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I wish they'd publish a trade paperback starting with the story right *after* the Great Darkness and continue right up to the EYE FOR AN EYE one, including the TALES OF THE LEGION 'side' series.

Then they can finish the Baxter series and go on to publish the 5YL series, and the post Zero Hour Legion.

I'd like to see everything up to Great Darkness collected in the Archive format, but I'm not sure that the period from 350 or so to Levitz's second run would sell as an archive or even as a trade paperback. Maybe an out-of-sequence SHOWCASE?

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.