Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » 15 years later - Rereading the Reboot... (Page 13)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: 15 years later - Rereading the Reboot...
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
Legion ##34-38, Titans #16, Titans/Legion Special

So I'm done! I made it this far! The Reboot reread is officially over [Smile]

The last storyline by Gail Simone was solid, but I got this feeling that it was an unspectacular ending - just like "Tangleweb" and friends have been an unspectacular beginning of this Boot. Yes, the story showed how heroic the Legion is - it was almost a little bit too much - but the villains were lame second-graders and the "danger to Earths existance of the week" was redundant, especially considering the fact that this book was through. The Champagne Widfire issue was even more neglectable...

But what struck me as pure nonsense now was the "story" that gave the official reason why the Reboot Legion went into Limbo. Fatal Five Hundred. Parallel realities, reached by the Persuaders axe. Some techno babble solution involving speedsters resulting in a local Whiteout which sent the Titans to the ill-fated "Titans tomorrow" storyline and the Legion - nowhere.

This story made Zero Hour look like "Brothers Karamazov". It was dull, it came out of nowhere, it involved lamest story elements and served as nothing but a vessel to introduce the unlucky Threeboot. Also, it made me realize why I never considered Geoff Johns a big writer until I got into his Lantern stuff: His Titans run was mostly average stuff, nothing special at all - not up to his JSA (which I did not discover until 2008), Green Lantern and, yes, Legion runs. if this story was his fault or Mark Waids - it did simply stink. Wow.

I'll be back with my final judgment...

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
I thought Gail Simone's story was awful. She made Timber Wolf even more Wolverinesque by giving him a "Healing Factor" and Canary was the lamest villain ever. All she did was sit around and talk about how good she was at making tea. She was never even shown using her power IIRC, but it was said her powers were increased by a Naltorian's power, but Dreamer was the only precog from Naltor in that boot, so that made no sense at all. Ick. Waste of paper. IMHO of course.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
So this was it - the Legion Reboot reread, minus the two years I'm missing (but not missing too much [Smile] ).

In my eyes, it was not as bad as I remembered, but the generally high cheesiness factor was still noticed - and I clearly see why I hated it so much back then cause I was a real sucker for the "dark & gritty" angle... exchanging a war torn Braal for Lori Morning? Not a good deal in my eyes...

What I already mentioned, but would like to repeat was the fact that the cheesiness was there from the beginning - but it got worse after about 2-3 years when characters like Lori Morning, Sneckie or Monstress stole the spotlight. The Reboot took its most severe blow from the 20th century stunt, which in retrospect was simply lousy.

DnAs run was still very entertaining the second time around - but it was not as good as I remembered. There were some very special moments, wonderfully portrayed by Coipiel (who did not do that many issues in the end), but there also was a lot of redundancy and questionable choice of villains. In the end, they seemed to run out of ideas - for example, to ressurrect Garth in Jans body was a pretty dumb stunt in my eyes...

So all in all, it took me about nine months to reread it in between all the other comic books I am currently reading - and it was a fun ride, especially due to the fact that so many members here contributed their thoughts.

My next plans do NOT involve rereading the Threeboot - I did that somewhen in 2008 and don't want to waste any time on Waids drivel again - but I rather would like to reread the few Johns issues before the new regular Levitz run will be starting. Guess I'll start a new thread for that. But I don't know if I should not rather be reading those Promethea trades I got via Ebay yesterday... [Smile]

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I still think the first two years of the reboot and the first year or so of DnA's run (Legion of the Damned to issue 4 or 5 of The Legion) are some of the *best* Legion comics ever.

It was interesting reading your thoughts on that period CK.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.