Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » The Complete Continuity Match-Up Checklist: from Baxter to Levitz Relaunch (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The Complete Continuity Match-Up Checklist: from Baxter to Levitz Relaunch
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
With Paul Levitz confirming the Johns Legion stuff happens after his run finished, that essentially confirms the cut-off point from where Johns Legion work picks-up in continuity is the Baxter era #63. Whether the Johnsboot stuff is the original Legion, a retroboot, an alternate timeline, a reboot or whatever is all really besides the point and is 100% up to fan interpretation. Levitz and DC obviously assume this Legion is the very same Legion and continuity as the pre-TMK era Legion. Fans can presume it to be whatever they want.

Levitz also says some things happened between #63 of the Baxter series and the Legion’s appearances in the Lightning Saga, Action Comics and Legion of 3 Worlds.

So, we then are left with wondering what parts of the old continuity have been removed or tweaked. This is because of obvious continuity-driven changes that were made specifically by Crisis or in reaction to Crisis (Death of Superboy and Conspiracy). Most of these we’d think would occur in the Baxter series but I’m sure there are more than enough spread throughout Legion continuity.

As Legion World—the premiere online place for Legion fandom—it is our duty to address every minor bit of continuity possible and iron it all out. No one else could accomplish this besides us.

For example:

Potentially Removed from Continuity
Death of Superboy
Conspiracy
Death of Mon-El / Shady remove finger / marriage of Shady & Mon-El
Ayla / Salu romance – I hope not but thus far we haven’t learned anything either way.

Happened sometime after Levitz final issue before Lightning Saga
Resurrection of Karate Kid – I wonder if that will ever be explained
Myg as Karate Kid II
Quislet Returns – mentioned in interview
Tyroc Returns – mentioned in interview
Dragonmage of this continuity appears – he is later mentioned as murdered by Mordru in Legion of 3 Worlds but we know it cannot be the reboot Dragonmage or the TMK Dragonmage no matter what Geoff was thinking

Up in the air
Supergirl – for all we all we know the Kara from the Silver Age and beyond we’ve all always read about is in fact this current Supergirl. You may not like that explanation, but that could be what DC has planned. Again, you can say this is another continuity if it makes you feel better, but it might mean this version of the Legion still has all those old Supergirl stories happen to them (albeit with this Supergirl). They just haven’t happened to her yet. But they may have happened to Brainy and the rest of the Legion. We can’t really presume either way or the other until we get any type of evidence.

Had always been true but revealed only recently
Starman / Starboy’s medical condition
Wildfire / Red Tornado weird connection thingy – that made little sense so hopefully is never mentioned again

5YL / TMK
We must assume none of the 5YL series happened, although I wouldn’t be surprised if elements of it are pulled in eventually. For example, Myg joined sometime after Baxter #63 just like in the five year gap to TMK. There was also a Dragonmage. So don’t be surprised if Kono or someone is revealed to exist as well.

What else am I missing?

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Levitz said that XS exists in this new/old world, although he's not sure how to work her in yet.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Right - we learned that she was originally from this Earth/world but moved to another earlier in her life. She is now back as of Legion of 3 Worlds as a Legionnaire.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gorilla Nebula
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gorilla Nebula   Email Gorilla Nebula         Edit/Delete Post     
TMK revealed in the 5YL series that the Tornado Twins really did have super speed powers but both were executed by the Dominators. since 5YL never happened, Dawn and Don Allen are still alive, powered or not. Dawn is Xs's mother. Don is Impulse's father.

--------------------
Gorilla Nebula

From: san francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Regarding Magic Wars / Death of Magnetic Kid:

Hm, that's a confusing one. Any potenetial evidence that Magic Wars didn't happen would be that Xerox is still standing. Was this shown in Legion of 3 Worlds? And if it is truly still standing, there could be an explanation for how it was 'reborn' or something.

Every indication thus far is that Pol is in fact dead and Magic Wars happened, unless we're told otherwise.

(Unless I'm missing something?)

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Sorry, Cobie: I deleted my post after I re-read your topic starter. I had read (probably in the other thread) that Levitz was picking up from Baxter # 60, which would invalidate the Magic Wars.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

No prob; I quickly edited on the fly! Its a topic that would have come up sooner or later anyway I'm sure.
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
How about the classic Fatal Five being back?

That requires:

a) Tharok's return
b) Either Sarya not being dead or it being a new Emerald Empress
c) Validus being restored

Also, there's a bunch of stuff that calls into question details of Star Boy's tenure (if/when exactly rejoined; when he got the starfield outfit; etc.) I'm kind of guessing all of this will be ignored, however.

[ January 14, 2010, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: Eryk Davis Ester ]

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[No]

Dear Mr. Levitz,

I don't envy you.

Good Luck/Best Wishes. Sincerely,

cleome

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Fortunately, Geoff Johns already sorted out all of the continuity stuff in Legion of 3 Worlds!

Er... didn't he? [Wink]

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

It's funny that Thom's membership feels so much more important in the bigger picture to straiten out but most likely will not be addressed. On the oposite side, the Fatal Five's return is much lesser picture but is glaring enough where it will have to be addressed eventually.

That's definitely a good one. It's somewhat of an easy fix for Tharok and the Empress but not so much Validus.

Eryk Davis Ester

Well, Emerald Empress is easy if you're willing to accept that it's not Sarya. If it's supposed to be her... then that's a tough one.

There's also Luornu's power change to be explained. If there's no Conspiracy, there's no death of the second body, but there's the question of where the other bodies came from.

Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Ooohh I'd love it if the Emerald Empress is Cera! And we get a flashback to her fat, lonely, Sun Boy-crushing childhood! I loved Cera!

Great thread by the way CK! I think it would be very helpful if we were to make a Master List of all the changes/inconsistencies/questions that exist with the current Legion and then cross them off as they get solved.

Maybe you could edit your first post to track those questions/answers? Or create it in a later post?

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I wonder if we'll ever see that crazy girl who was stalking Inferno again?

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

There's also the Tornado Twins history to sort out. Were they killed by the Dominators? If so, under what circumstances? If they are the same age as the Legionnaires, then how is Jenni like twenty years old?
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.