Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » The Complete Continuity Match-Up Checklist: from Baxter to Levitz Relaunch (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The Complete Continuity Match-Up Checklist: from Baxter to Levitz Relaunch
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Rond didn't die rescuing Mysa from Mordru in the TMK story. He was captured and tortured by Mordru and had to be rescued himself by Mysa and the Legion.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

I think it would be a nice twist if the new Empress was one of Luornu's bodies. Maybe it's the eye that beefed up her power, but one of her selves has to remain enthralled to it to maintain the power boost.

I really don't want Tharok, Sarya, or Validus restored. Two out of three of their farewell sagas were too good to mess with. The Tharok/Dark Man story left a lot to be desired however. I guess I could live with his return.

--------------------

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Hmm. I suppose Darkseid could've reneged on his deal with Saturn Girl and snatched Garridan back and returned his Validus form. That could help explain why Garth is half nuts this time around.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Er, if one of you guys wants to take over this thread, feel free! I'm way behind on my Superman reading lately...
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
"Garridian" was a name used only in the TMK era. He was called Validus in V3 even after he was restored to being a kid.

For the person who asked about Gigi Cusimano: she was named after Paul Levitz's wife. So you wouldn't expect anyone except Paul to use the character.

If XS's history includes rapid aging as one person mentioned, and therefore she can be put in continuity without changing the Tornado Twins' age, I think that should go in the list. Someone mentioned Blok's change in appearance and that should also become part of the list.

Supergirl 52 is an interesting case because it basically establishes every possible bit of the old continuity. Supergirl is going to go to the future and meet the Legion when she and they are both teenage (tale to be told in Supergirl Annual #2, coming this fall). Brainy and Kara will still fall in love. And the reason why Supergirl doesn't recall anything about this now is... Saturn Girl's post-hypnotic suggestion to forget the future! Remember that?

(Savvy readers might notice that in the original continuity Saturn Girl's post-hypnotic suggestion didn't cause her to forget that she even met the Legion at all, but all in all that's a fairly minor difference and I just bet that after the annual it'll get limited to be more like the original.)

The story doesn't mention Supergirl's adventures with the Threeboot, though I don't think there's anything that excludes them.

Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, nobody's updated it, I may as well do it myself. Feel free to take it back when you want.

REVISED CONTINUITY CHECKLIST

Modified from Cobalt Kid's post

Probably Removed from Continuity (Super-title issues)
Death of Superboy
Conspiracy
Death of Mon-El / Shady removing her finger / marriage of Shady & Mon-El (happened as a result of Conspiracy)
Loss of Luornu's second body (result of Conspiracy)
Insect Queen (Lana Lang), Elastic Lad (Jimmy Olsen), and Pete Ross as honorary members -- Insect Queen is someone else. Elastic Lad and Pete Ross are possible, but unlikely.

Happened sometime after Levitz final issue before Lightning Saga
Rokk/Lydda split-up: mentioned in Legion of Three Worlds
Resurrection of Karate Kid – needs to be addressed
Luornu’s 2nd Body (if it lived because Conspiracy never existed) travels back in time and dies in Countdown – clearer explanation needed
Myg as Karate Kid II
Night Girl joins
Chameleon Girl joins
New HQ built
Quislet Returns – mentioned in interview
Tyroc Returns – mentioned in interview
Return / Resurrection of Tharok
Restoration of Validus -- note that the name "Garridian" is TMK-era. The kid was called Validus during V3. It has not yet been revealed if this Validus is him or someone else, and if someone else, it has not been revealed whether the kid is still called Validus (it would be strange, though possible, to have two characters with the name around). Also, REBELS has introduced a character Tribulus, who resembles Validus.
New Emerald Empress appears or Sarya resurrected – needs to be addressed
Dragonmage of this continuity appears – he is later mentioned as murdered by Mordru in Legion of 3 Worlds but we know it cannot be the reboot Dragonmage or the TMK Dragonmage no matter what Geoff was thinking
Infectious Lass travels through time (ipso facto leaving the Subs) for Tales of the Unexpected back-up stories. She claimed to be an ex-Legion member in those stories.
Rainbow Girl joins the Legion of Substitute Heroes
Double-Header killed by Justice League
Blok's appearance -- back to the old appearance. No explanation so far.
Mordru un-depowered

Up in the air
Supergirl – Supergirl #52 revealed that Brainy still remembers Supergirl's death and probably most of her tenure with the Legion. He assumes the modern Supergirl is her (from before her death but after she joined the Legion) and blames Supergirl's lack of memory on Saturn Girl's post-hypnotic suggestion to forget the future. Whether the modern Supergirl is the same as the one who joined the PB/JB Legion and will die in our future is unknown and may be resolved in Supergirl Annual 2.
Ayla / Salu romance – Was widely assumed by fans to exist in the V3 era, but didn't become official until TMK. Levitz has stated that he didn't intend it in V3. The comics have not yet established whether or not it exists.
Magnetic Kid -- Joined post-Crisis and died in the Magic Wars. Lightning Saga had a statue scene that failed to show him, implying that he never joined, but can't be taken as gospel because they also fail to show Tellus and Quislet.
Dev-Em -- if Superboy's tenure with the Legion is back, it's possible Dev-Em could be back too, but we don't really know.
Laurel Kent -- unknown

XS / Kid Flash / Tornado Twins
Revealed in Legion of Three Worlds the Tornado Twins left the ‘Preboot/Johnsboot’ Earth/Universe and lived on the Reboot Earth/Universe. They have since died. Their children are XS and Kid Flash (formerly Impulse), who grew up on that Earth/Universe. Kid Flash journeyed back to the PB/JB Earth/Universe in the 21st Century and XS has now done the same in the 31st Century. XS has rapidly aged like Impulse, which means that having the Tornado Twins be their preboot age is not a problem. All this revealed in Legion of Three Worlds.

Had always been true but revealed only recently
Starman / Starboy’s medical condition
Wildfire / Red Tornado weird connection – that made little sense so hopefully is never mentioned again

5YL / TMK
We must assume none of the 5YL series happened, although I wouldn’t be surprised if elements of it are pulled in eventually. For example, Myg joined sometime after Baxter #63 just like in the five year gap to TMK. There was also a Dragonmage. So don’t be surprised if Kono or someone is revealed to exist as well.
The Durlan from LEGION technically first appeared while V3 was ongoing, but the Durlan/Phase swap, the Durlan being Brande, and Phase being Phantom Girl are TMK-era plotlines. A Levitz interview mentions an upcoming Adventure Comics story about Brande and implies he is not the Durlan. (He was Ren Daggle in the Levitz era.)

Starboy’s Tenure with the Legionlet me know if you guys can help me hone this
The Lightning Saga, Legion of Three Worlds and his JSA appearances have called into question some of Starboy’s original tenure with the Legion and how exactly it happened. We must presume it all happened as it originally was presented unless outright changes are explicitly made. There are two major points: (A) did Star Boy rejoin the Legion with Dream Girl as originally presented or was he among the Subs longer? (B) Did he receive his black-starry costume at the same time (which allows him to travel through the multiverse or something), and if so, does that firmly plant the original meeting of the three Legions between the end of the Action Comics back-up stories and the beginning of the Superboy back-up stories within the PB/JB timeline?

Note: Original reports were that Geoff Johns was only using pre-Crisis continuity, not #63. If so, then the revival of Karate Kid and the Emerald Empress would need no explanation. Neither would Validus, Blok's old appearance or the absence of an Ayla/Vi romance. On the other hand, it would mean explanations are needed for Tellus and Quislet (who joined post-Crisis), and for the appearance of Polar Boy and Sensor Girl as statues.

[ April 26, 2010, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Ken Arromdee ]

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Jeepers! Cobie's totally got the newbie doing the things is too lazy busy to do!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

I'm not actually a newbie, I'm just new to this forum.
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Star Boy's powers have been radically changed as well (although I'd prefer it if Paul makes that a consequence of Earth-22 in some way [Brainiac's Daughter alters his powers to make better use the the wormwhole dealie about his costume?]).
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:
I'm not actually a newbie, I'm just new to this forum.

By "newbie" I meant someone unfamiliar with Cobalt Kid's habit of convincing others to do mundane tasks he himself doesn't want to do!

Good job, though.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:
Note: Original reports were that Geoff Johns was only using pre-Crisis continuity, not #63. If so, then the revival of Karate Kid and the Emerald Empress would need no explanation. Neither would Validus, Blok's old appearance or the absence of an Ayla/Vi romance. On the other hand, it would mean explanations are needed for Tellus and Quislet (who joined post-Crisis), and for the appearance of Polar Boy and Sensor Girl as statues.

Actually, Karate Kid's death and the joining of the "Levitz Five" are all pre-Crisis. The Ranzz baby being mutated into Validus happens pre-Crisis, so there's still a conflict between the fact that the Ranzz's apparently still have two kids and Validus's appearance.
Ken Arromdee
Active

Yeah, all of that's right.

So the statues scene has the same problem whether we're using up-to-Crisis or #63 continuity (Tellus, Quislet, and Magnetic Kid are missing). Validus was taken away pre-Crisis and returned post-Crisis, so if both sons are shown it's still a problem with up-to-Crisis continuity. (I wasn't aware that both sons were shown; I'm not buying the crossovers and am planning to start again with Levitz's run. The last LSH comics I bought were the Lightning Saga, the Shooter run, and Legion of Three Worlds.)

Eryk Davis Ester

I don't think the kids have been shown yet, but they've been mentioned (in the plural) in the solicits. I suppose the Ranzz's could have had more kids in the meantime, but it's probably meant to be Graym and his twin.
Ken Arromdee
Active

Another thing: reading the Wikipedia entries for Countdown and Triplicate Girl, it sounds like the Countdown reference here is wrong. She already lost her second body, and is called Una in Countdown; what dies is her last body.

She was shown as a shadowy figure in Lightning Saga, but I have no idea if she was ever shown full-on or called Una outside of Countdown itself.

Countdown messed up continuity in so many ways that most of it's officially been retconned away anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if Una was a continuity error (Luornu has one body left as of Conspiracy; writer did not realize that Conspiracy isn't part of the new LSH unboot continuity).

Eryk Davis Ester

There were a lot of debates about Una at the time. I'm not sure if was ever explicitly stated that she was the last body. Anyway, Lu is completely a mystery at the moment.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.