Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Duplicate Damsel(s) (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Duplicate Damsel(s)
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
It wasn't really revealed how Luornu got her upgrade, was it?

I'm curious about it. I don't remember- did we see her interact with New Wanderer Triad or Prime Legion Triplicate Girl?

I know I wanted to see a scene where all the Luornus merged-- or at least tried to.

Either might result in Duplicate Damsel's ability to create so many dupes, either from learning it from Trips or from gaining the power after separating after a successful merge.

Triad, however, would have a completely different reaction to such a merge. The way her triplicating works, she'd have to have a truly fractured psyche for all those 'selves' to have unique personalities. I think she'd be spooked by the possibility. Could make for a good 'Legionnaire goes crazy' kind of story, I suppose.

Anyway, the thing I wish *could* come about from a theoretical 'super-merge', is an enduring bond between the Luornus of Three Worlds. Limited communication between the three legions would be a good thing. IMO.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
The three Trips being able to coordinate between the Legions of Three Worlds would make perfect sense. I remember it being mentioned back in the day on some thread or another, and I'm disappointed that the writers didn't seem to think of doing something like that.

I don't really remember if we got to see the Lu's interact with each other, but given how little individual space there was to deal with the various Legionnaires, what with so many pages devoted to Sodam Yat, Bart's return, Conner's return, etc. I don't remember any of the Legionnaires other than the three Brainy's getting to interact much with each other...

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
On a somewhat related topic... I always thought the 5YL Lu should gain the ability to split into five bodies after merging with her SW6 counterpart.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Quintessa!
From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I was thinking "Quintessence Queen"!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Cinco de Luornu!
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Minor royalty, sovereign and a holiday! We're thinking big for Lu, aren't we?

Making up for poor Una's fate, perhaps?

cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
I like the idea of the powered-up Lu, and I'm curious to see how Levitz deals with the change; even wondering if he means to make it permanent.

Not really into the separate personalities biz, though. I guess it could be done well, but I'm weary of the Dark Phoenix Syndrome: in which it's apparently impossible for a woman to get enhanced powers without somehow going off the rails.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

Ditto with cleome on the multiple personalities issue. I think that Peter David has already tapped that well with Jamie Madrox, and would prefer if Lu's powers 'just worked.'
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Well, I only meant that New Wanderer Triad would have the m.p. issues if she had a similar powerup. *Not* the Legionnaire married to Bouncing Boy.
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Hee. Sounds like the artist formerly known as prince.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
I am gonna just say...I hate this stupid "upgrade" of Luornu's power, which is really just a way of making her utterly generic.

There is easily room for it to become a decent development, but the way it was just thrown in at the end of the story with absolutely zero explanation or relevance just makes me think it was a lazy way of making her more powerful for a writer who didn't want to have to think creatively about how to use her existing strengths.

I mean honestly, if the three Legions with umpteen characters present of Daxamite levels couldn't put a dent in the LSV, what difference would a bunch of additional ordinary women make?

I can see the appeal in giving Luornu back some version of her original powerset, but the way it was done has just made an otherwise interesting character utterly generic.

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
I agree with a lot of what you're saying, Razsolo, especially the way they just mentioned it so briefly in practically a footnote that "something weird happened" and now she can make hundreds of duplicates.

BUT I do think she needed some kind of upgrade to be a more useful member, especially after they killed off her 2nd body in that awful crossover event, whatever it was called. Since when does a Legionnaire get eaten by rats? Ick! Legionnaires are supposed to die valiantly, heroically and be mourned across the galaxy. To kill her off in such a way was just insulting to Legion fans.

If they hadn't beefed up her power or given her a new one, she'd be off the stage completely, so I'm hopeful that they can find interesting ways to use her new power.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
I do hope they do something cool with it.....Levitz always seemed to like having Chuck and Luornu around in some capacity or other, and now that Blok and Mysa have left maybe we'll see Luornu rejoin the active roster? The only way I think this will become a worthwhile development is if it's actually explored....otherwise it just becomes a weird not-very-well-thought-out footnote in her history.

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
I think its great that Luornu gets an amped up power after all the heartache she's experienced over the decades.
I just hope they don't make her omnipotent with the whole unlimited duplicates thing. That would frustrate the writer and ultimately push her to the sidelines as a "too-easy-solution" with use of this new power.

[ April 01, 2010, 06:36 AM: Message edited by: future king ]

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.