Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » The Retro-Gap! (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Retro-Gap!
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Violet's not so angry. At least there was no evidence of it, although she might still loathe Yera.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
so ..... like the team i grew up with from after the crisis-levitz all the way through the 5yg is up for grabs? haha now that's a retcon!

i think i prefered a reboot to the < basta*dization>

i liked angry violet, and ayla and vi, and laurel gand.

oh well, i am enjoying this old team that is basically smilar to the classic legion. more than previous boots.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crymsun Kid
Subs Auxillary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crymsun Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Crymsun Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Another thing in the retro-gap. The Subs got back together, and invited Rainbow Girl to join them.

--------------------
Listen to the Completely Comics Podcast at http://completelycomics.wordpress.com/

From: Korugar | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Violet's not so angry. At least there was no evidence of it, although she might still loathe Yera.

Was there ever any official explanation of why Yera was on the team? Did they finally officially waive the "no duplicate powers" thing-- which, let's face it, was messed with plenty of times before? Did she actually take Cham's place?

I'm so lost. So very, very lost... [No]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Crymsun:
Another thing in the retro-gap. The Subs got back together, and invited Rainbow Girl to join them.

And Color Kid wandered off, as well. The dude who could turn yellow sunlight into red sunlight was 'sir not appearing' in the Earth-Man saga, because that was what they were using Sun Boy for, I imagine...

I'm still not sure if Graym Ranzz still exists, since Johnsboot Garth and Imra are back on the team and don't appear to be parents.

Garridan is either back to being Validus, never was Validus, never existed at all, and / or the new 'Validus' on the Lo3W Fatal Five is from a planet full of Validuses, like the R.E.B.E.L.S. Tribulus character.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
There was some mention of the Ranzz children being missing, so I assumed that meant Graym and Garridan.

If there was an explanation of why Yera's on the team, I missed it.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Color Kid was blinded, wasn't he?

The Ranzz kids have been mentioned in blurbs.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
are Imra and Garth disturbed by this? [Wink]

I bet Darkseid has them, he's always stealing their kids.

maybe he's making two Validus (Validii?) this time.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I was thinking maybe Lu's being given Brainy's forcefield belt in v3 #51 could've somehow resulted in her gaining her enhanced duplication powers?

Except that may not have happened in this continuity... [Confused]

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

reread the Legion of Three World's last night.

Rond still has a kid??!! with Laurel or SuperGirl I don't know. probably super girl.

this Legion is weird. it's like the 5YG Legion during the gap, if the Crisis of Infinite Earths never changed everything. (sorry i'm slow .... )

I previously thought it was 5YG Legion (with some changes in continuity thrown in for funsies) or that weird Adult Legion from the Silver Age comics (silver age?).

it's still fun. but weird. I don't think anyone could even begin to unravel this ...

so what happens to the legion from Crisis to Zero Hour. they were excluded from legion of three world's. in truth it should at least be legion of four worlds. (there was a pathetic splash page of kent and vi jumping in action with their 5YG jump suits.)

Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
The Miracle Machine somehow was undestroyed and used during Final Crisis. Don't ask me what exactly that was supposed to do, Morrison had lost me long ago at that time...

...anyway, they used a Miracle Machine. Probably Morrison just thought it would be a cool surprise effect, f*** continuity...

By the way, I don't think it's a bad thing we have to figure out what happened between v3 and Ligthning Saga - I thought one of the most exciting part of 5YL had been the fact that you had to find out what had happened. Maybe it might be a good idea if Levitz started to use Giffens incredibly informative Omnicom pages ....

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chemical King:
By the way, I don't think it's a bad thing we have to figure out what happened between v3 and Ligthning Saga - I thought one of the most exciting part of 5YL had been the fact that you had to find out what had happened. Maybe it might be a good idea if Levitz started to use Giffens incredibly informative Omnicom pages ....

The BIG difference was that I think TMK actually thought about how the Legionnaires might have changed and been affected by the previous series (mostly Magic Wars) and didn't bring back characters without an explanation or story behind it. So, it was far more interesting to figure out the details.

Here Johns (and the rest) apparently read only two or three Legion comics and most of them were from the last ten years.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree with you that there was probably much less thought invested by Johns and Co. Many people now do finally see how good Giffens work was, huh? [Smile]

Anyway I think there are not too many inconsistencies there that they can not be integrated by a prolific writer like Levitz. Of course, that would be Levitz doing the job Johns should have been doing - but considering Levitz' love for the Legion, I'm quite sure he will be able to make an interesting story out of the "don't know how many years gap", no matter what Johns did not think about.

Has Johns been interviewed about the continuity glitches anywhere?

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd like to vote for NOT making these continuity glitches a big focus of the new Legion. I think it's a rare thing for stories focused on dealing with such glitches to be actually good stories. I hope that Levitz, to the extent that he addresses it, does so in an incidental, off-hand way. As clever as I thought his Validus story was, and as powerful as his work with the Emerald Empress was, those stories did too much to violate the status quo of the Legion. For a massive group with a thin rogues gallery, you NEED an iconic Fatal Five with a Tharok, a Validus and an Emerald Empress.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah. But...how about keeping the continuity...

and having Superboy-Prime rip a hole in time and space and bring in the Fatal Five from Earth-Prime (since they look like the Brave and the Bold versions anyway)?

I mean if Johns was paying attention, he had done that before and could have brought in Elysion and maybe a few Wanderers into the Johnsboot Universe during LEGION OF THREE WORLDS to really turn up the heat a bit. He'd done it before in the Titans crossover. I'd rather he spend a few panels on that than on Sodam Yat.

Superboy-Prime (looking at Mano and Persuader with Caress and Flare in the background) - "Wait! Where's the rest of the Fatal Five?!?"

Persuader - "Dead!"

Superboy-Prime - "Oh yeah! Try this!" (Grabs the Atomic Axe and slices open a portal to Earth-Prime from which the B&B Fatal Five emerge.)

Superboy-Prime - "Now this is a FATAL Five!"

During the course of the story, Mano Y Mano become partners (until one of them kills the other?) and the Johnsboot Persuader slices time and space again to shove the Prime Persuader into Earth's past (thus explaining the 20th Century Persuader) to ensure he's the only one.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.