Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Mr. Levitz...Tyroc has tons of potential! (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Mr. Levitz...Tyroc has tons of potential!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Afros aren't totally uncool nowadays anyway. Some younger black guys still rock an afro and can pull it off.

70's hair is kind of indie-cool/quirky these days.

It's 80's hair that is totally lame and needs another decade before the cooling off period is over.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by razsolo:
more than a couple of Daxamite-level characters, the White Witch (who is more often than not used in combat as deus ex machina),

Saying that Tyroc is comparable to the White Witch is damning with faint praise. The White Witch has been used only marginally more than Tyroc and her powers are just as bad in terms of having completely arbitrary abilities.
Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Mysa has always, until the new Black Witch incarnation, been limited in her magical powers.
She's had to have spells prepared ahead of time, with the ingrediants, potions and incantations ready.
She could only use a few at any given time and she had to guess right which spells she would need.

I think that's extremely defined and limited.

I had just remembered James/Kid Quantum as having short dreads so I agree that we wouldn't want them on Tyroc, although I don't see how that would keep him from having LONG braids, especially if they were cornrowed and/or pulled back into a knot.

I just hate afros, I always have.

And Tinya hasn't had bellbottoms in what, 20+ years?
Certainly not in pre Zero, when she switched to her outfit that she wore later in dotLEGION.
She didn't wear bellbottoms in the reboot, either.
Maybe in Prime, but that was Prime and not really worth mentioning (sorry, imo anyway).

I just hate the 60's/70's looks, period.
ugh
I don't want them to EVER come back.

I'd rather Tyroc went bald.

Actually, I think maybe something African tribes would work.

Sorry about Jackson, too, but he's had so many looks he's good for examples.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
As I've said, some ideas, no matter how bad, given proper direction can be good. Like our Mister Stewart.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candle:
Mysa has always, until the new Black Witch incarnation, been limited in her magical powers.

In theory, sure...up until the V4 Legion though when she was traumatised after her treatment by Mordru, I don't feel like that was ever a real limitation.

The only time her limits ever came up previously was when it was convenient for the story, otherwise she could pretty much magic anything out of her hat she needed to...

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by razsolo:
The only time her limits ever came up previously was when it was convenient for the story, otherwise she could pretty much magic anything out of her hat she needed to...

Yeah, that's pretty much my problem with 'magic' characters in the comic books.

If you play a magic based character in a superhero RPG, you write up a series of spells, and go with it. Even playing Zachary Zatara, in a recent game, I wrote him up with primarily a transformation / object animation power.

The White Witch, in her very first appearance, says it took her *hours* to prepare a dramatic interplanetary range teleportation effect, and, not too long later, she's teleporting an entire Legion cruiser, with zero preparation, and complaining that it's hard. Hard? You said it took hours to teleport *yourself!*

Lightning Lad has the power to throw lightning. If he gets clever, he might be able to use it to lock up someone's muscles and paralyze them, or short out a control panel to open a door, or magnetize a metal object. And that's *cool,* when that sort of thing happens. (Granted, Garth hasn't exactly been much of an 'outside of the box' guy).

But magic-using characters are, too often, IMO, turned into plot devices.

Zatanna was introduced with the suggestion that her magical powers were mostly about animating and transforming unliving matter, like her father (and, later, her brother). Then it was said that she was best at manipulating elemental forces (air, earth, water, fire), changing her role on the team from 'not really Sargon the Sorcerer' to 'not really Crystal of the Inhumans.'

And then it was decided that the JLA had been mind-wiping villains for years, and, hey, Zatanna is a magic-user, so she must have been doing it, since magic can apparently do anything... (Despite it being arguably out of character for her, in addition to not what her powers were supposed to be all about!)

Now, I'm obviously totally biased about this sort of thing, since I've been playing D&D for three decades, and I'm used to magic having rules, even if they are 100% different than the 'rules' that govern science.

IMO, it's always a narrative failure when any character becomes a deus ex machina.

*Saying* the character has limitations, but then ignoring those limitations in later appearances, doesn't count.

As much as the idea of Dragonmage appeals to me, what little I've seen of him online suggests that he's 'incredibly powerful' and makes big explosions. Well whoopty-crapity-do. That's what we have Wildfire, Lightning Lad and Sun Boy for, isn't it?

A magic character, IMO, is best when it has specific 'spells' or tricks, such as the Crimson Bands of Cytorrak or the various stunts that Brother Voodoo used to perform. The more random 'whatever power the plot requires today' stuff gets pulled out of a magical character's hat, the more likely that character is going to get sidelined (like Mysa), depowered / killed (like Dr. Fate) or just flat out mis-characterized (Dr. Strange in the Avengers, suddenly unable to do any of the things he did casually as a Defender, because it would wreck Bendis' street-level plots designed to challenge people like Spiderman and Wolverine and Ronin and Echo and the rest of Team Ninja).

Taking this back to Tyroc (or Chemical King, or Kid Quantum 2, or other 'magic' characters with unspecified abilities), I'd rather see the character shortchanged initially by calling their power 'sonic powers,' and then, only in the hands of the actual Legion writers who know what they are doing, developed to allow 'quantum vibrational whatchamahoozie,' than have a situation like when the Rom the Spaceknight scribe had no freaking clue what Alpha Flight's powers were and had characters doing ridiculous things (Shaman flying, Aurora shooting wind blasts, etc.).

Calling Tyroc's powers, which might allow him to cause all sorts of freaky effects by manipulating vibrations and resonance frequencies (such as making things explode, freeze solid, burst into flames or shed light), a 'sonic scream' for the sake of simplicity might be a better choice, since Paul Levitz is not going to be the last person to use the Legion, and we've already seen how spectacularly a non-Legion-writing pro like Geoff Johns can mess things up...

Same with magic characters. Give a 'mage' a half dozen specific effects that she can use spells for, and then show her developing new tricks from time to time, in the same manner that Brainy can occasionally come up with a new gadget, rather than arbitrarily allow her to do anything the plot requires, even if she explicitly couldn't do that last week, and miraculously won't be able to do it three weeks hence, because it would wreck the plot...

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Good post Set. I'm in agreement.
From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Tyroc fans! It's Tyroctober!

And Comics Alliance is spending the whole month talking about our favourite afro-having, elf-boot-wearing, ludicrous-screaming, mack-daddy super-hero!

First installment here -

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/10/02/comicsalliance-celebrates-tyroctober/

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Awesome!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
We should fill up the comments with posts about Tryoc's boo, Saucy Jones!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leather Wolf
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leather Wolf   Email Leather Wolf         Edit/Delete Post     
While we celebrate, we might want to remember that Tyroc is alive and well in Legion Lost. I like how he's been written for the most part in this series.
From: South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Although I find the plotting in Legion Lost kinda meh, I do praise the Legionnaires' portrayals. I've warmed up considerably to Tyroc, Tellus, Yera and even Timber Wolf (different powers and origin aside).

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
I've warmed up considerably to Tyroc, Tellus, Yera and even Timber Wolf (different powers and origin aside).

It's interesting that Timber Wolf, the so-called 'lone wolf' who's been rushing off on his own time and again, is the one member of the seven to have made a contact / friend among the 20th century earthers.

As for Tyroc, this week I want him to have this hair.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leather Wolf
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leather Wolf   Email Leather Wolf         Edit/Delete Post     
Actually that need to have a buddy around is very consistent with Brin's character. Back in the Levitz run of the 1980's Blok filled that friendship need. Now in Legion Lost DeFalco has chosen Brin to latch on to Coz. Perhaps due to his loss of family as depicted in #0 origin story, Brin latches on to people he feels he can trust, or feels that he needs to so that he won't be a Lone Wolf any longer.
From: South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.