Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion of Super-Heroes #2 - SPOILERS (Page 12)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Legion of Super-Heroes #2 - SPOILERS
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Does anybody know at what point in the canon Saturn Girl was said to be from Titan and not Saturn?

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
As far as Gates goes, it didn't bother me because we got to see him. It would have been just as easy to show the Legionnaires already on Naltor where we would just assume they took a ship to get there.

To me, this wza an effective way to see Gates and to also show Dawnstar's reaction.

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Does anybody know at what point in the canon Saturn Girl was said to be from Titan and not Saturn?

I believe it was Cary Bates who first coined the phrase "Titan... a moon of Saturn" but I cannot tell you exactly when.
It was definately while the book was called Superboy starring The Legion Of Super-Heroes and before issue #172.
That's as close as I can get on this one.

Nightcrawler?? Help! [Smile]

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm pretty certain she was constistently identified as being from Saturn during the Adventure era, but it seems to have changed by 1974.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Wait... Adv. 350, Letter Column.

quote:

Dear Editor:

Since Saturn Girl comes from the planet Saturn, why does she need a flight-ring? The gravity of Saturn is much greater than Earth's, so she should be able to fly under her own power here.

- Jerry Harrington, Plainfield, Iowa.

(The answer is simple. Actually, Saturn Girl was born on Saturn's largest satellite, Titan, which has a gravity comparable to Earth's. -Ed.)

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Titan Lad
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Titan Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I know I am coming into this conversation a tad late, but earlier everyone seemed to be concerned with the fact that Saturn Queen said that she knew Nemesis Kid, when they in fact had never met.

Found this little gem in Legion of Three-Worlds #1 today. Click for fullsize image
So it seems that Johns soft-retconned in her presence. I found it kind of interesting.

From: Dallas, Texas | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Not only that... notice Tarik the Mute in there alongside characters who weren't even introduced until after his death.
Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
Obviously that's just a museum display.

But according to text pieces in the Mayfair Games TMK sourcebook, Saturn Queen was around the LSV since their earliest days but at that time used her power to mask her presence rather than get caught in their company.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Not only that... notice Tarik the Mute in there alongside characters who weren't even introduced until after his death.

Since it's a museum display that doesn't really mean anything. Superman had both Ferro Lad and Wildfire in his display of statues in the Fortress of Solitude. They could just be showing every person who was ever a member at any time.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[snip]

quote:
Originally posted by Chief Taylor:

As for Cham, I've never understood why he supposedly can't take on the natural abilities of animal forms he assumes. If he can take on dragon form, for example, he should be able to breathe fire. Super powers are trickier and more understandable, as those are extraordinary among their races.

However, among those races where the powers are indigenous (Tharnians, Titanians, Bismollians, Daxamites, etc.), Cham could theoretically be able to mimic their powers if he can mimic those of animals.

I guess the point is if Cham could do all those thing, he's arguably the most powerful Legionnaire (and Durlans the most powerful aliens)...

I think you've kind of answered your own question there, CT. If one character on a team is that powerful, it tends to negate the reasons why they'd need to be part of a team.

Or else you end up in a situation where the character doesn't really need to use their intellect if they're that powerful (ie-- Duplicate Boy)-- which means that the only way they can ever be bested in a fight is if they don't use their head. (Or if they have some goofy weakness like the GL problem with yellow, or wood, or whatever it was. [No] )

quote:
...In any case I'd like to see the powers better defined. I've seen shape-shifter power descriptions (among different characters in different companies) stating that when they appear as larger creatures, they don't really have any more weight or mass or whatever. That's always confused me.

Good luck with that. [LOL]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
Great second issue. Series is going into the exactly right direction. Kudos to Mister Levitz, yeah, he still has it!

Reading the Previews info I thought the Earth Man storyline was dumb, but it's rather great, cool idea! And the xenophobes rioting against the poor dispossessed fugitives? Makes my heart beat faster, love to hate those scumbags! I always kind of like those xenophobia storyline, cause I fear that, no matter how many milenia will pass, it's rather realistic that humankind will always be afraid of people who are different. Man has not evolved since the medieval ages - and I fear he won't until 3010 as well...

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
DID mankind 'evolve' in the middle ages?
One theory is that the climate had a mini-warming cycle for a few hundred years.
That meant that people didn't have to struggle constantly to eat/survive so Maslow's principles kicked in.
I haven't heard of any significant changes in the humans of that time from anyone before them.
Is there something?

Anyway, Gates has always had a limited amount of 'carrying' abilitie with his gates, hasn't he?
Maybe if he can port between distant solar systems now, he could just port whole planets from system to system, too?!

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I finally read # 2 last night. I found it a big improvement on # 1. I'm not exactly jumping for joy but I am certainly happier than I've been since Shooter's first few issues of the 3boot.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
Just read it last night. This book is somehow really out of sync with my once-monthly CBS visit, or I'm really out of sync with the Legion's new schedule!

I did NOT enjoy the whole issue as much as #1, mainly because this didn't feel like a story, with a beginning, middle and end like #1 did, and I'm just an old curmudgeon who thinks that is important. Here are my most vivid random impressions:

* I thought Levitz's expository dialogue (not to be confused with SUPPOSITORY dialogue) was very clunky in #2, while I found it deft in #1. I formed that impression from the preview (the Titan debris scene) and it stayed with me as I read the whole issue.

* I'm annoyed that Saturn Queen doesn't SEEM to have even a HINT of a larger agenda. She drops by the old homestead to confirm it's kaput, and just decides to single-handedly attack the Legion in their HQ? Is she impulsive that way? It just seems quite random, and ultimately done only to demonstrate that Ultra Boy's love for Phantom Girl is stronger than Titanian telepathy. Was that really the only reason? Couldn't we have some hint (other than the Nemesis Kid mention) of a larger LSV objective?

* How...interesting that Mon-El is talking to UB about getting dumped (although Jo brought it up), while Shadow Lass and Phantom Girl don't say boo about it, even though they have been close friends, as couples, in the past. What up with that? Are we showing the boys to be gossipy EMO types and the women to be tough warriors? Plus, wouldn't you want to confirm (for any new readers out there) that the person who dumped Mon-El, mentioned at the beginning, is the character seen later with Phantom Girl? Seems like a missed opportunity.

* And on the subject of Shady, why is she green, or teal, or whatever? Weren't the Talokian nomads she fought in the 1980s that greenish blue? Did she convert or something? Is it a change of life thing? Turn teal, dump your super-hot super-powerful boyfriend?

* So I guess the whole Dream Girl in peril in the 21C is now a lost tale of the LSH? Or did I miss something? And is Star Boy/Man back in the 31C or not? Good to see Gates and his kvetching, though. I really liked Dawnstar's teleport sickness too. A small, nice touch.

* Jacques!!!!!! Nice look to him, too. Wonder if he and Tyroc did rock/paper/scissors to see who had to be the bald black guy on the team?

* So Cosmic Boy is clearly the Leader?

* I found the characterization of Earth Man interesting (EarthGov is humans, so I do what they tell me to do), but not really in keeping with the megalomania that Johns gave him. Unless there is some other, higher power behind the xenophobia thing. And I don't necessarily mean a super villain, but some official political policy/sanction for Earth Man's actions during the Action Comics story. Was it ever revealed WHO planted the evidence in the Fortress of Solitude that Superman was human? Did Prime/Time Trapper do it?

* For some reason, the "painted desert" refugee center made me think of the World War II Japanese American internments. Don't really know why. Manzanar (the most infamouse camp) was in California, and Painted Desert is in Arizona.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I admit I have yet to read the entire thread, so I apologize if somebody else already has suggested this, but IMHO, Tyroc doesn't need air in space, he only needs air in his transuit.
From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.