Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion of Super-Heroes #2 - SPOILERS (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Legion of Super-Heroes #2 - SPOILERS
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
I have to confess that I think this is a terrific read. Levitz knows how to tell astory with the Legion. Slowly expanding the team now seems just to be the right pace. Tyroc is wearing a terrible costume, but him being back along with Mon brings a lot of raw power to the team. And while they are doing something boring like crushing space garbage, their interaction is furthering the story, focussing on the problem of a large number of fugitives on a xenophobe Earth.

I like it! This could be the Legion revival we hoped for.

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
The shouting in space, whatever, Sun Boy can shoot fire and Lightning Lad can shoot lightning in space, so I'll accept space-sound, too.

Lightning can exist in space. And while fire of the type made by burning things can't exist in space, the sun certainly can.
Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
Another nitpick: Marzal isn't Tyroc's homeworld, unless it flew off into space. His homeworld is Earth. It would be like writing "Homeworld: Japan".
Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
The temperatures needed to have fire in space, ie suns/stars is pretty huge, isn't it?
Can Sun Boy produce those kinds of energy?
The little girl in Stephen King's book, 'Firestarter' (I think that's the title) could but I don't know if Dyrk can.

I did not know that there could be lightning in space unless a space ship or something with electrical energy was involved.
Isn't electricity a flow of electrons?
Are we talking dark matter again?

Anyway,
I kind of liked Tyroc's look better in the close cropped hair panel, but baldish is still very much in, at least on TV.
He really needs a little more eyebrow to pull it off, though.

And I was hoping for a major change in costume since I hated his 70's look, but I still wanted it to be mostly white.

Oh, well.

Shady and Lar breaking up makes me more than sad.
It just feels wrong.
But, maybe it'll make her change her costume?!

Brainy HAD to get the Legion to break up those Titan fragments for the space lanes, so I don't see what Tyroc's gripe was.

Fun stuff.
I can hardly wait to get the issue.
I LOVE the varient cover, too.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm, does anyone think we should invite Cinar to the boards? He has a DeviantArt account.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candle: The temperatures needed to have fire in space, ie suns/stars is pretty huge, isn't it? Can Sun Boy produce those kinds of energy?
The temperature doesn't matter. Without a medium through which to convey heat, it doesn't go anywhere (the sun's heat, for instance, is transmitted through light). In atmosphere, air conducts the heat nicely, through the agitation of molecules, but in vacuum, Dirk would have to be creating a medium (like air) and then superheating it to the point where it combusts.

He *could,* per his original power to generate light, conduct heat by shining intense light on targets, heating them up, and skipping a matter-medium altogether (and working like an actual sun), but that would be very much not 'throwing fire at people' and more of a superpowered version of the little boy with the magnifying glass, over the ant hill.

Lightning is pretty similar, requiring an atmosphere to conduct through, which would, again, require that Lightning Lad/Lass/Lord be able to create an atmosphere connecting them to their targets, or, in this case, just fire raw electrons at people, which would be doable, but not look anything like lightning. It would just be a straight beam, the 'arcing' of lightning having to do with electricity following a kinda/sorta random path to the ground.

But, it's a comic book. If Sun Boy can throw 'fire' in space (instead of beams of hot light), and Lightning Lad can throw 'lightning' (instead of beams of electrons), then I've already suspeded disbelief enough to allow Tyroc to scream and be heard. It's all good.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
I hope that, at some point, Levitz gives Tyroc a reasonably well-delimited power description. One of the things I always liked about the Legion is that the powers were simple and straight-forward (in comic book terms at least): magnetism, telepathy, growing, shrinking, etc. One of the things that makes the Legion compelling is that individually their powers are limited, so they have to work together. By the 1970s, it started to get more squishy. What EXACTLY does Wildfire do? How DOES Dawnstar fly through space? Quislet?!?!? I would like Tyroc to abandon Kid Quantum in the "really cool black character with totally ill-defined powers" club.

On the "sound in space" thing--it was the first thing I picked on too. But let's face it, Tyroc's powers HAVE to be psionic, but channeled and controlled by his vocalizations. I mean, a sonic shock wave strong enough to pulverize a rock at close range -- you're talking about small nuclear weapon-range overpressures, at a minimum. And if it were just sound, it wouldn't be focused, it would be pulverizing everybody and everything round him. So his powers really don't make sense in an atmosphere, either. Since Mon-El refers to him as a "powerhouse" (which is AWESOME!!!!), I'm guessing his powers still include the range of things he could originally do, like forcefields, pyrokinesis, teleportation, etc. I can't wait to find out. Despite his rather insulting and despicable beginnings, I'm really glad Tyroc is back!

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
I forgot to mention: Mon-El, hurray! Although he seems to be sullen, wimpy Levitz Mon-El, not the hero James Robinson made him into. And I find it odd he would be on Daxam willingly, given the history of the place that Robinson and others have spelled out. Yes, it might have changed, but that would be a REALLY big change. Count me glad to see the break-up, though. If nothing else, it signifies a new direction from what Levitz and others did with the characters in the late 1980s. The future is wide-open.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Yes, but who cares about the late 80's?

For almost the entire reboot, Shady and Lar hardly spent any time together and they were totally not with each other during Prime.

Meanwhile, Jo/Tinya and Garth/Imra were at least together for most of those eras (yes, things got complicated from time to time.)

We've now had Val/Jeckie and Thom/Nura 'break-ups' too.

It just seems wrong to make all of the Legionnaires relationships end badly, especially Tasmia and Lar since it's been so long for them to be together at all.

Instead, we have Ayla and Brin being forced to remain together.
sigh

I also hope that Levitz doesn't ignore all of Robinson's and John's work with the various Legionnaires.
That would be an even sadder loss than the loss of the character developments and just plain characters, in the reboot.

Why would DC allow all of that story work only to let the new writer throw it all away?

And yes, please invite Cinar here, invite ALL of the Legion related artists and writers here, for goodness sake!
[Smile]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Hard to believe Shady dumped Mon. She was still swooning over him in L3W. Maybe the new costume means she's advertising for a new man. Really wish she'd cover up a bit.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
Kinda reminds me of the Madonna syndrome ... you know, she's still in good shape and all that, but let's face it, she IS 52 so should be dressing a bit more serious for her age. Or in Shady's case experience instead of age.

I don't think the creators will ever tell us the exact chronological age of our Legion heroes. That would be akin to telling us the real ages of all the Archie gang.

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Yildiray has been invited to LW. He says that he lurks occasionally.

I think Tyroc look great! I like him bald, & I like his red costume.

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
The costume discussion has been moved to this topic.

Please continue it over there. This thread is now back to discussing LSH #2.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^ My post about Mon and Shady and couples in the Legion seems a bit weird in that thread, but it's all good. [Big Grin]
From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by googoomuck:
Post edit, even though it's on page 1 of the preview I think I should have used the spoiler tag.

Click Here For A SpoilerWell I guess that ends the speculation as to whether or not Mon-el's still alive.

shouldnt that have been already known since Legion of 3 worlds???

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.