Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion of Super-Heroes #2 - SPOILERS (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Legion of Super-Heroes #2 - SPOILERS
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Put this longtime reader in the love it column. There was more going on in this issue than an entire series by most other writers.

Tyroc, Dream Girl and Chameleon Boy are back where they belong. Although I'm interested in the how and why they are back, I would prefer Paul keep us moving and not focus on those issues now.

I like how he's taking the crappy hands he was dealt with and moving them in directions that are far more interesting that what those original writers probably planned to have happened. Saturn Queen's appearance here probably means we'll get some resolution to the Espionage LSV story as well.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Brainiac says something about Tyroc using vibrations. Maybe he's saying that even though sound can't be heard in space, the effects of the vibrations can be seen and felt. Kind of like deaf people can feel sound vibrations, without hearing them.

Levitz's method has always been to show baby step advancements on several concurrent plotlines. It's tricky to do without the pacing seeming too slow or too rushed. We'll see how he hits his stride.

Where is the white stripe in Jacques's hair?

Dream Girl! At last! Hurray!

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
Much has been written about the ... limitations of his powers in a visual medium.

I've never understood this argument. Can we see magnetism? Gravity? Antigravity? X-rays? Telepathy? Invisibility? Intellect? Heat?

Why should sound powers be any harder to illustrate in a visual medium than any of the above? Black Bolt, Banshee, And Black Canary have been doing it for decades.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:

There was more going on in this issue than an entire series by most other writers.

This is true, but doesn't say much for other writers. It's also more of a problem here because the Legion has a huge cast. If you only have a few main characters, even a slowed down story will progress. If you also have lots of characters, each character only gets a little piece of an issue which already has only a little bit of story, making things far too slow.

quote:

I like how he's taking the crappy hands he was dealt with and moving them in directions that are far more interesting that what those original writers probably planned to have happened.

I agree this is one of the good things he's done. V4 was full of acknowledging what has gone before but failing to respect it. Shooter's run had a few bits of that too, and comics in general do it far too much. Paul's actually using what he has.
Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Brainiac says something about Tyroc using vibrations. Maybe he's saying that even though sound can't be heard in space, the effects of the vibrations can be seen and felt.

Vibrations can't go anywhere in space for the same reason that sound can't.

At any rate, I'm sure fans can come up with some contrived explanation of why Tyroc can create sound in space. But it's still contrived. Explaining mistakes is never quite as good as not making mistakes.

Ken Arromdee
Active

I guess I'll have to partly withdraw my remark about the costumes. Almost all of the bad costumes were actually used in Legion of Three Worlds, including Dawnstar and all the tank tops (though that doesn't explain Tyroc).
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I get my issue tomorrow!
I'm so excited!

Everyone's comments make the need to read it myself almost unbearable!

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korbal
The Lightning World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korbal   Email Korbal         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Brainiac says something about Tyroc using vibrations. Maybe he's saying that even though sound can't be heard in space, the effects of the vibrations can be seen and felt. Kind of like deaf people can feel sound vibrations, without hearing them.

C'mon Worlders, recall his origin and what his name translates to--"Scream of the Devil"-- that would imply that his powers possess a supernatural aspect, and thus can contravene the natural physical laws of the universe...

--------------------
"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63

Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Lad
No-so-special Guest Star

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
A much better issue than the first. While it still bugs me that the book feels far more retro than a series about the future has a right to be, both Levitz and Cinar/Portela have found their feet rather quickly, which I appreciate. All in all, good news for those who appreciate Levitz's original run.

* Given the quickness, predictability, and inevitablity of the "Earth-Man's flight ring subplot" I'm not sure we needed as much panel-time as it has gotten.

* Set, I think that thing you've described as hair or a wraparaound is just funky shading.

* Protesters waving handmade, ink and paper signs (with tape!)? How 20th/21st century. I realize its a visual shortcut, and that such a detail may have been more acceptable in the 80's stories that this series sets out emulate, but given the great strides made in comunication in the time since then and in the absense of supplementary background elements it just feels weird to have a writer (or artist) resort to this.

From: San Juan, Puerto Rico | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
Hee hee I guess with everyone looking at Tyroc's lack of hair and wondering how his voice can work in airless space, everyone missed Seeing Yera aka Chamelon Girl on page 9, panels 1,2 & 6 (especially 6)

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, here's another long-time reader's thoughts on issue #2 ... loved it!

Paul Levitz is truely amazing. He comes back after such a long break from writing the Legion and has managed to repair my faith in the future of this comic in just two issues. Let me tell you, noone in the comic-writing business could do that in this day and age.
I enjoy his soap opera storytelling style very much and, no I don't want each and every single plot thread wrapped up one issue at a time. That's so 70's in my opinion. Sure the odd stand alone issue is fine from time to time, but for me I enjoy a gradual monthly glimpse into the day-to-day lives of the Legionnaires. This builds excitement and makes the climax of the story worth waiting for. Mr. Levitz has built a strong reputation over the decades as a master of this style.
Plus we know he's not one of those writers that takes his time resolving plotlines ... he actually has proven that he resolves hanging threads quite quickly by today's comic writing standards. I bet this hasn't changed for him.
Let's give the man a chance to show us why he's a legend in the comic field, ok?

Some stand out moments for me:

Is it a coincidence that Saturn Queen shows up to "play" with some Legionnaires shortly after Mekt's whole "I have a missing twin" confession to Garth, which appears to be all a hoax? I don't think so. Yes it's seems logical that SQ would go to Titan's location after the destruction, but I don't think she did it out of nostalgia. I think she knew where to go to find Legionnaires without having to go to their front door to do so and did what she did to test the Legion's strengths these days.
A possible LSV attack in the near future? I think so.

Dream Girl's back ... it is great to see her again. I'm sure all the explanations as to where these missing Legionnaires have been will be rolled out in due time.

What's up with Gates? I didn't appreciate his acerbic cynicism, especially during the refugees' time of need. It was out of character for him. He was never the warmest and fuzziest of the reboot Legion but he did have a lot of likable qualities (such as his intellect and sense of duty). Maybe he's having a hard time adjusting to this new reality?

I like the interchange between Garth and Ayla, especially the caring kiss on the cheek. I guess seeing how the other Legion twins got along in Lo3W must have had a long-lasting effect on them, well on Ayla anyway.

I am going to say for the record that I think the Legion Of Super-Villains is behind the kidnapping of Imra and Garth's children. For what purpose, I'm not 100% sure at this point.

I too despised how Jo was portrayed as a bit of a dim wit. I didn't realize Paul felt that way about him (given the serious storylines he'd given him back in 80's). Maybe Paul's judgement has been blurred but Ultra Boy's portrayal in 3Boot Legion, where yeah he was a bit of a dumb jock.

I really believe that Earthman will not turn out to be the new permanent Green Lantern. I bet he screws it up somehow and someone else has to step in and fix things ... just a gut feeling. I am intrigued now though about his particular plot.

All in all an excellent second issue. Thank you Mr. Levitz. It was a great read (despite having to look at Tyroc's hideous new costume ... ok sorry that was my last ding at him), and I anxiously look forward to the next issue.

[ June 25, 2010, 06:35 AM: Message edited by: future king ]

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
What's up with Gates? I didn't appreciate his acerbic cynicism, especially during the refugees' time of need. It was out of character for him. He was never the warmest and fuzziest of the reboot Legion but he did have a lot of likable qualities (such as his intellect and sense of duty). Maybe he's having a hard time adjusting to this new reality?
Oh I disagre, Gates has brought up his beliefs like this in times like these during the Reboot a lot of times. Heck remember he did it when they were setting those people who were held captive by Ra's Ah Ghul in those cells.

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Superboy-Supergirl:
Hee hee I guess with everyone looking at Tyroc's lack of hair and wondering how his voice can work in airless space, everyone missed Seeing Yera aka Chamelon Girl on page 9, panels 1,2 & 6 (especially 6)

Great Catch! The eyes have it. LOL!
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:
Vibrations can't go anywhere in space for the same reason that sound can't.

Word.

Over at the DC boards, oh, the pain. If this is what they are teaching kids in school these days.

Still, could be worse, could be Klaw, over at Marvel, who makes 'solid sound constructs.' I can blithely rationalize how Shrinking Violet's powers work, no matter how ridulously impossible they are, but my brain just freezes up at the mention of 'solid sound constructs.'

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KryptonKid
Khyddae Kryptoneum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KryptonKid   Author's Homepage   Email KryptonKid         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Korbal:
quote:

C'mon Worlders, recall his origin and what his name translates to--"Scream of the Devil"-- that would imply that his powers possess a supernatural aspect, and thus can contravene the natural physical laws of the universe...
I have always taken Tyroc's powers to be mystical in nature, like Projectra's. What Levitz seems to have done is embraced Tyroc and given us a good idea of what his powers and possible limitations might be. Writers in the past, including Levitz, have fallen victim to the Chemical King syndrom: feeling obligated to include him occationally, but scared to utilize him. With #2 Tyroc has for the first time been written with confidence and purpose. Paul, my thanks to you and my hat is certainly off.

Nightcrawler, I, too, would have loved a big return moment for the Espionage Squad, which should have included Dream Girl and Tyroc. It doesn't look like we will see it in "Adventure", so maybe in some future issue Mr Levitz will grce us with an Untold Tale of the Legion. Perhaps it would even cover the strange appearance of a Karate Kid and Una who died of some unexpained virus, or another Karate Kid's resurrection, death, and brief replacement by Myg. No, at this point I think I am asking too much of even Levitz' considerable skills.

[Tyroc] [Dreamer] [Saturn Queen]

--------------------
~Integritas~

From: Bgtzl Proper | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.