Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion of Super-Heroes #2 - SPOILERS (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Legion of Super-Heroes #2 - SPOILERS
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
The whole "Imra scans applicants' minds before admitting them!" retcon pretty much established that he and the other Non-Sub rejects were nuts or evil, didn't it?
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Titan Lad:
quote:
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
Um, I hate to ask, but could someone scan the pages with the Lightning Twins from this?

I would've posted the scans earlier if I had seen this post!

http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae335/TTitans/Comic%20Book%20Scans/Legion%20of%20Super-Heroes/Legion020.jpg

http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae335/TTitans/Comic%20Book%20Scans/Legion%20of%20Super-Heroes/Legion021.jpg

Thanx.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by The Man From Cargg:
quote:

To answer someone's question, Nemesis Kid is dead.
Jeckie killed him after he killed Val.
The first time he died.
He's redundent, too since Earth Man does pretty much the same thing, doesn't he?
He drains and NK copied.
Duplicate Boy duplicated?

Candle... NK didn't duplicate powers... he would take on the power that was needed to defeat a particular opponent. So he was kind of the anti-Duplicate Boy.[/QB]
Thanks for reminding me of NK's powers.
I remember now that that's how Jeckie killed him.
She didn't use any 'powers', just her grief, rage and training.
quote:
Originally posted by Chief Taylor:
Actually, I think I was the one to mention Nemesis Kid earlier in the thread, but not in the context of Earth Man's powers. I was puzzled by something Saturn Queen mentioned in her narration:

I come home to see if it's true that Titan was destroyed and find you Legionnaires in the rubble...always bothersome. Nemesis Kid was right--we should have killed you all.

Why would she mention Nemesis Kid? Is she recalling a past conversation or something recent? If the former, when would the two have ever met? (they weren't in the LSV at the same time, at least not "on-camera".) If the latter, does that mean Nemesis Kid is back? (If so, could that factor in to why Val came back?)

I found that very puzzling--or else it could just be another example of faulty memeory on Paul's part! [shrug]

If I'd checked and realized the comment came from you, I probably wouldn't have addressed it that way, or at all really, since I know that you know all of this stuff much better than me.

I would just say, that since this is the retroboot, anything could happen or been changed.

Wasn't Saturn Queen with the LSV in Lo3W's?
I got the impression she was there.
Anyway.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candle:
The only thing I can think of, if Levitz doesn't address it some time is that it was switched from Dreamy to the Daxamite girl.
We just thought it was going to be Nura.
sigh

The problem is that we were told (and it certainly looks like...) it was Nura...

Click for fullsize image

But, like I said, I'm glad everyone is back in the 31st Century where they belong and could care less about how they got there. That storyline was 100 times worse than that team 20 storyline was from the reboot, imho.

[ June 25, 2010, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Wasn't Saturn Queen with the LSV in Lo3W's?
I got the impression she was there.
Anyway.

She was. Nemesis Kid wasn't.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Titan Lad
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Titan Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe we'll get a flashback storyline dealing with how Dream Girl got back to the 31st? I wouldn't mind if it was set in the past, just as long as I get some closure on the whole thing (I think the preview looked really great and I wanted to see this storyline come to fruition).
From: Dallas, Texas | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow! I'd forgotten all about that preview from Adventure 1--thanks for posting it! I'd say that the second, third and fifth panels have yet to be paid off and probably won't be. Anyone care to itemize the six panels and their payoff or lack of?

Funny, I didn't recognize having seen the bottom image before when the cover to LSH 1 was debuted months ago. I wonder if that was always supposed to be Earth Man. [Hmmm?]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

quote:
Actually, I think I was the one to mention Nemesis Kid earlier in the thread, but not in the context of Earth Man's powers. I was puzzled by something Saturn Queen mentioned in her narration:

I come home to see if it's true that Titan was destroyed and find you Legionnaires in the rubble...always bothersome. Nemesis Kid was right--we should have killed you all.

Why would she mention Nemesis Kid? Is she recalling a past conversation or something recent? If the former, when would the two have ever met? (they weren't in the LSV at the same time, at least not "on-camera".) If the latter, does that mean Nemesis Kid is back? (If so, could that factor in to why Val came back?)

I found that very puzzling--or else it could just be another example of faulty memeory on Paul's part! [shrug]

If I'd checked and realized the comment came from you, I probably wouldn't have addressed it that way, or at all really, since I know that you know all of this stuff much better than me.

[Big Grin] Funny you should say that, Shady! I actually consider myself average to (more likely) below average among the fans of this site as far as my knowledge of Legion trivia and history is concerned. For example, I'd have NO IDEA who the heck Lester Spiffany is if not for my exposure to Legion World!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd say it depends who you compare yourself to!

I wouldn't have remembered Spiffany either if not for here, and I have the Archives, too!
[Smile]

Thanks, NC!
They DID say it was her.
But then, they had the rift and everything.
Probably to erase some of that page.

I STILL think that Desparo would never talk to ANYONE like that, especially given his appearances in dotREBELS lately.
I think it was really supposed to be Cham.
Or not!
Moot point, probably!

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Just read #2 and put me in the *really enjoyed* it camp!

Wow! Paul gave face-time, personality and story-progression to 19 different Legionnaires (20 if the Yera theory is correct) and 1 Legion villain in this issue and I didn't feel like any were short-changed. This is why he is such a well-respected Legion writer. No matter who your favourite members are, chances are you got to see one of them in action in this issue.

I like all the little sub-plots he has on the go here too and don't feel that there is too much decompression at all. In fact, it feels the opposite to me. I feel like there has been more going on in these past two issues than I've read in half-a-year of some other books' stories. The extra page count certainly helps there. PLEASE, DON'T EVER REDUCE THAT DC!

The second penciller half-way through the book was a little jarring but after a couple of seconds I got used to it and really liked his style too. (SOOO much better than the one who suddenly took over for Benes in Birds of Prey last week! Wow, was that an unwelcome change!) If having these two pencillers is what it takes to keep this book on time then I'm all for it.

I can't finish talking about the art without getting a few quick gripes in about some of the characters' hair for a second. Maybe it's just a case of the pencillers/colourists still finding their feet but Paul or an editor or someone needs to sort this out quick. There are multiple problems here -

* Invisible Kid II - where's his white streak?
* Sun Boy - should have red, not blonde hair.
* Dream Girl - should have white, not blonde hair.
* Colossal Boy - why did his hair go from brown to black in a matter of panels?
* Tyroc - still hate his boring, bald head.

Also on the art front, I see whoever else it was who said that the paper and tape signs was an unfortunate artistic choice for a futuristic book and raise them Shady's cloth arm-sling. Surely, the 31st century has better health-care than that. In fact, I feel like I remember seeing something better than that used in the Reboot at some point. So, good as the artists are - I definitely feel like they have to raise their game in making this book look more futuristic.

Other points -

* I actually liked Earth-Man and the tension he created in the Legion in this issue. I'm not in such the hurry to see him gone from this book as I used to be now.

* Tyroc - is he back? The guy in this issue in the ugly and completely different costume and no afro ( [Big Grin] ) was like a totally new character to me. Tyroc used to be one of my Top 4 Legionnaires. Unless Paul gives him the most interesting personality ever then the drab, uninteresting look he's got going on here will knock him out of even my Top 30.

* As fun as it was seeing Saturn Queen, when she read Brainy's mind I couldn't help but be reminded (unfavourably I'm afraid) of that fantastic Reboot issue where that renegade Titanian was forced to read Brainy's mind - and found it to be a very weird and difficult place to traverse. That was such an interesting and well-written issue which told you so much about both characters whereas that aspect of this issue seemed so... simple.

* Nice as it is to see Dream Girl and that guy who calls himself Tyroc back in this issue... I think I would have rathered more of a story explaining their absence rather than just - they were absent.

* Cosmic Boy, Colossal Boy and Invisible Kid II - Damn, do I love their Frank-designed costumes! Hope they stay around for a LONG time.

Can't wait for next issue!

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm glad Invisible Kid got to speak!!

I hated Dream Girl's non-platinum hair!!

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

^ Me too! I think seeing Jacques get to do something in this issue was one of the best things about it for me. It was such a surprise. He so normally gets left out of Legion stories and there I was thinking that this would just be another one when suddenly BAM! - he showed up. I liked that. (Could've done without the "Quel" though. They still speak French in the 31st Century? I don't think so.)
From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

quote:
Wow! I'd forgotten all about that preview from Adventure 1--thanks for posting it! I'd say that the second, third and fifth panels have yet to be paid off and probably won't be. Anyone care to itemize the six panels and their payoff or lack of?

I think the 5th panel will probably tie in to Geoff's 'Flashpoint' event that he has coming up in The Flash.

The Despero one - if that's Maxwell Lord with him then he could be showing up in the new Generation Lost book, which would be a natural place when you think about it. What's Despero's status these days anyway? Didn't I hear he died in that probably-soon-to-be-cancelled-but-not-soon-enough-to-prevent-it-from-ruining-good-JLA-villains-like-Despero-and-Starro R.E.B.E.L.S. book?

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Despero was killed (or almost killed - his head was still alive [Confused] ) in R.E.B.E.L.S. but he regenerated, so he's back in the game.

There could be different explanations for Shady's arm sling - ancient Talokian custom or superstition regarding an injury? Sacred healing cloth?

I hope Dreamy is just experimenting with blonde dye and reverts to her luscious platinum hair soon.

It was great to see a number of legionnaires who haven't gotten much panel-time for a while. Tyroc's look is a big improvement.

Maybe there's hope for Earth Man - he'll try so hard to prove that the Legion was wrong to reject him, he'll succeed in spite of himself. The ring might work to modify his attitudes as well.

Saturn Queen's interaction with Brainy's mind reminded me of Glorith's kiss in 5YL (the annual featuring Ultra Boy) - Saturn Queen seemed to be totally in control, although she had an initial moment of surprise. There has been discussion here of how Brainy's been acting a bit off lately - perhaps this is why she was able to take control of him mind without resistance. I would have expected that he would have continued to strengthen his resistance to mental invaders through the years, since he has been previously affected by Universo.

Imra's my star! Clever lady - going back to the time just before her kids disappeared and reading their minds. I figured she was just going to follow some timestream trail.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
- Put me in the "I hate Tyroc's new costume" camp. Some of the Legion's new costumes are stinkers, but the problem with this one is that it's just so...bland. I would rather a terrible costume than one which makes no impact at all. As someone else pointed out, he looks like a character that was rejected from a Kirby Fourth World comic, not an individual superhero.

Having said that, I am SUPER GLAD he's back, and look forward to seeing him more! I did notice the sonics in space thing, but mehh...as has been pointed out, lots of superhero powers shouldn't actually work the way they do. I'm happy to handwave it. It helps back up my personal canon that he is altering reality, not firing sonics. [Wink]

- Is this the first time Levitz has ever actually used Saturn Queen? I loved her! I always thought she'd be a great villain, dunno why she has never really been used for decades...the Legion need some A-Grade villainesses, and this look into her personality made me think I'd be very interested to see her against Tellus even moreso than Imra.

- The Yera theory is BRILLIANT! I thought there was something hinky about the art in those panels when I first read it, it never occurred to me that it could be deliberate! I really hope it is now, what an awesome character bit! [Smile]

- I liked the Garth/Ayla bit. Also LOVED seeing Dreamy back....she didn't do much, but I'm just glad she's here. [Smile]

- Levitz has a GREAT handle on Gates! Did he teleport the three of them from Earth to Naltor though?? That's pretty hardcore! Has he always had interstellar range?

- Tinya getting injured seemed a bit forced...I would have preferred it if there were some reason she had to be solid; like maybe if she stole one of the blasters as well and was knocked out while she was carrying it...would make her seem less damsel-in-distress, and respect her experience level more.

- Last but not least...I never thought I would say this in a million years, but Jacques was HOT in this issue! I did a double-take when I saw him, I'm so used to him looking like kind of a quiet nerd. I hope his missing white hair is an art error though, I want it back. Also, his new costume is one of the ones that actually really works, I think.

Didn't love this issue that much upon first reading, but on further reflection I enjoyed it a lot. Looking forward to more! [Smile]

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.