Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Shady dumps Mon-el???? Hmmm...smells like... (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Shady dumps Mon-el???? Hmmm...smells like...
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jab:
any way it turns out its gonna be awesome. especially when she gets knocked up.

*GASP!* What if Earth Man accidentally absorbs the power to conceive and winds up being the one getting knocked up!?! [Wink]
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
no Shady of mine would ever ....
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
I'd like to think that yes, people can overcome their racism, but this is no run of the mill garden variety racist. This is an evil, power hungry, megalomaniacal control freak who has done grievous personal harm to half the Legion and becoming intimately involved with him should be antithetical to any Legionnaire's personal belief system.

IMHO, of course.

Well said.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by lil'rhino:
quote:
Originally posted by jab:
any way it turns out its gonna be awesome. especially when she gets knocked up.

*GASP!* What if Earth Man accidentally absorbs the power to conceive and winds up being the one getting knocked up!?! [Wink]
Brilliant!

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm reviving this thread because I just noticed something relevant.

In Superboy #237, which was written by Paul Levitz, Shady tries to distract Wildfire so her teammates can steal the Quintile Crystal. (Never mind why.) She does so by pretending to seduce him, saying:

quote:
Imra and Garth [who had just gotten married] are so happy -- and I'm no closer to being married than I was when I joined the Legion. You know I only joined because I'm attracted to powerful men!
Now this is a very embarrassing scene which presents Shady in a negative light, and I suspect Paul regrets having written it, but the thing is, Shady's comments actually make some sense. As we all know, she did join the team partly because she was attracted to Brainy, and then when she discovered he already had a girlfriend, she "sunk her hooks" into Mon-El. This comes up again in one of the last issues of v3, I forget which one, where Shady says that on her planet, it's normal for Talokian women to choose men without the latter having much say in the matter.

So Shady's fling with Earth-Man was actually consistent with the way Paul has been writing her for thirty years. Shady was not acting out of character in sleeping with Kirt.

I still think, though, that as unfortunate as Paul's portrayal of Shady may have been, he cannot be accused of pervasive sexism -- he generally does an amazing job of writing female characters, especially compared to other writers of his generation.

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
Is it possible that Shady's attraction to Earth-Man was a side effect of Brainy's special enhancements to Earth-Man's flight ring?

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by googoomuck:
Is it possible that Shady's attraction to Earth-Man was a side effect of Brainy's special enhancements to Earth-Man's flight ring?

That's an intriguing thought.

Brainy made it clear that the ring was supposed to have some sort of effect on Earth-Man, and yet Earth-Man seemed to short that out with his Green Lantern Ring. What if he didn't just turn it off, but somehow reversed it (probably not deliberately, since I don't think he actually was all that clear on what it was doing anyway), so that, instead of being influenced by the ring to be more tolerant of and cooperative with his Legion teammates, they were influenced to be more tolerant of him?

It would explain various Legionnaires being okay with him walking up and touching them, to absorb their powers. I could see Colossal Boy not reacting fast enough to stop him, or even Element Lad biting his tongue and putting up with it, but when he walked up and put his hand on Projectra, I expected her to judo-flip his mutton-chopped ass through the nearest wall.

It also says something about Earth-Man's attitudes about power that he touched Shadow Lass all the live-long day, and never once bothered to use her powers. He probably considered her powers 'weak' or something.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.