Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » The Great "Troy Stewart" Mystery (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Great "Troy Stewart" Mystery
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
I completely forgot to post this last year when I did the research but, last January, I tried to do a little detective work to track down an obscure bit of Legionalia that has always bugged me: where did Tyroc's real name of "Troy Stewart" come from?

From his intro, he had merely been known as "Tyroc" until a seemingly random reference in text page in the back of DC Special Blue Ribbon Digest #1 (March 1980) where the Stewart name first appeared. It always drove me batty...who wrote that page?

I decided to ping Jack C. Harris, the editor of the digest, on Facebook, to see if he had any recollection. Though he was very forthcoming in his response (telling me of his overall dislike of the character's origin and background, but of his fondness for Grell's design) he had no recollection of the page authorship.

Next stop was Paul Levitz, who I had heard kept meticulous records about everything he had ever written. Although he had left the Legion title by that period, I thought perhaps the "Stewart" moniker might have been a left over bit of info from his famous "scorecards". Paul said he had no memory of the name, and that his records showed definitively that he was not the text page author.

I next pinged the actual Legion writer during that period, Gerry Conway, who told me that, nope, it wasn't him either, but that I should reach out to Jack's former assistant, Paul Kupperberg, as he likely would have been assigned text pieces for Jack's books.

I reached out to Paul Kupperberg, who told me that not only did he never have anything to do with Tyroc, nor ever been involved in Digest creation, but that Conway had misremembered, and that he had never been Jack Harris' assistant.

Dead end.

Until... quite randomly, I was sitting a Legion panel at the Baltimore Comic Con over the summer, and one of the panelists, Chris Roberson, was reminiscing about his intro to the Legion via the old digests. He said that one of the most invaluable things to him to figuring out the team were the digest text pieces written by E. Nelson Bridwell.

[seinfeld thwarted voice]Bridwell![/seinfeld thwarted voice]

Of course! The other book that ran around that same period was the "Secrets of the Legion" mini-series... plotted by E. Nelson Bridwell. (although, oddly, scripted by Kupperberg who had previously said he had never done any Tyroc-related work - it's only a panel or two, so he probably just forgot).

Sure enough, though... that miniseries is the only other place apart from the Digest, that the "Troy Stewart" name appeared, until "Who's Who", where it's canonocity was cemented.

So... clearly not definitive proof but, given all of the info, and everyone else involved claiming no knowledge, it seems very likely to me that "Troy Stewart" was a Bridwell creation.

Since Bridwell passed away in the mid-80's, if he did come up with the name, the why of its creation is probably lost to the ages, but at least now I have what I consider to be the most likely origin of "Troy Stewart".

And now, so do you. [Smile]

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm... given that it was Bridwell, and given Bridwell's fondness for linking up bits of continuity, this certainly gives some credence to those who think the name was supposed to connect to "John Stewart"...
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Y'know, this thread makes me realize that I don't generally think of Tyroc as "Troy Stewart", especially in his current incarnation. This is despite the fact that I'm a huge 5YL fan, and he played a prominent role under his given name (as most of the Legionnaires did).

When I read issue 4 of Legion Lost, other Legionnaires calling him "Ty" just seemed the most natural thing in the world as I subconsciously equated "Tyroc" as both his name and his codename, much like Dawnstar and Blok.

So that just full-circles into this: since "Tyroc" isn't the character's name, then what the hell is it supposed to mean? Is it some sort of Marzalian title? Has an explanation ever been provided?

(I should add that I've never read any of Ty's early appearances--basically including his entire first career as a Legionnaire--so apologies if the meaning of his codename was made clear in them.)

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KryptonKid
Khyddae Kryptoneum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KryptonKid   Author's Homepage   Email KryptonKid         Edit/Delete Post     
Indeed, I always thought that "Troy Stewart" was an attempt to link "John Stewart" to the character; moreover, as Marzal was supposed to be a version of Brigadoon, a Scottish Isle, it would be linked to the British royal family. The Anglicized House of Stuart was originally the Scottish Clan Stewart which ruled Scotland, England, Wales, Ireland, France, &c. Furthermore, Tyroc's powers are those of the mystic Banshee,originally "bean-nighe" or"bean-sith" in Scottish.

[Tyroc - Animated] * The More You Know *

[ February 05, 2012, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: KryptonKid ]

--------------------
~Integritas~

From: Bgtzl Proper | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Tyroc is supposed to be Marzalian for "scream of the devil". Not sure offhand when that bit of trivia was introduced, however.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malvolio
Devil's Advocate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malvolio   Email Malvolio         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Hmm... given that it was Bridwell, and given Bridwell's fondness for linking up bits of continuity, this certainly gives some credence to those who think the name was supposed to connect to "John Stewart"...

or Lynn Stewart, Black Lightning's ex-wife.

--------------------
Watching television is not an activity.

From: Freeville, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
The weird thing is, nobody else from Marzal has anglicized names at all.

He is the only one.

And he just happens to share his name with one of the most famous Green Lanterns.

And he also happens to be the only native of Marzal (that we've seen) with powers.

HMMM CURIOUS. I think there is a story there....

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:

[sigh]

Much as I like John Stewart, I'd just as soon see this forgotten. Honestly, does every hero or villain in the future have to be a legacy character?

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^ Ditto x 1000. And the idea that two black characters who happen to share the same last name have to be related even though they live 1000 years apart is almost disturbing IMO. Like, I know there aren't many black characters in comics but come on! It's as myopic as meeting a Nigerian and saying, "My friend Scott is from South Africa, maybe you know him?" (And yes - I have heard people say things like that.)

Getting back to Exnihil's first post, I don't know which I'm more impressed by -

1. your tenacious detective work in tracking down the origin of one of the most minor pieces of Legion trivia;

or

2. that you know so many comics professionals well enough to bother them with said trivia.

[Big Grin]

[ February 04, 2012, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Blacula ]

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that I actually know any of the people above, just that they were each nice enough to reply to my Facebook message. Sort of a modern-day letter column.

On the John Stewart front, I agree, too... legacy characters give me agita.

Although one Legion fan, Carol Strickland, did write a great article which somewhat tongue-in-cheekedly ties Marzal into Wonder Woman history, suggesting that not only is Tyroc a John Stewart legacy... but also one of Donna TROY:

http://www.carolastrickland.com/comics/wwcentral/misc_indexes/nubia/nubia.html

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malvolio
Devil's Advocate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malvolio   Email Malvolio         Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe Tyroc only took on the anglicized name after he joined the Legion. And maybe he chose a name that would honor two heroes of the past: John Stewart and Donna Troy.

--------------------
Watching television is not an activity.

From: Freeville, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Or, perhaps one of Tyroc's ancestors adopted an Anglicized name as a secret identity during one of Marzal's previous appearances on Earth?
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[snip]

quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
^ Ditto x 1000. And the idea that two black characters who happen to share the same last name have to be related even though they live 1000 years apart is almost disturbing IMO. Like, I know there aren't many black characters in comics but come on! It's as myopic as meeting a Nigerian and saying, "My friend Scott is from South Africa, maybe you know him?" (And yes - I have heard people say things like that.)

Yes. (And if my brain hadn't been asleep, I might have thought of pointing that out, Blacula.)

But there are lesser problems with it, too. For example, the constant emphasis on legacy heroes/villains always smacks to me of a Puritan-like obsession with predestination. Whatever your ancestor did is what you will do. You don't get any agency or free will, and so on.

It also creates a disturbingly stratified idea of society in what's supposed to be a Utopian future. If everyone's a legacy hero, then essentially good deeds and the will to do them are a literal form of wealth that can't be earned through one's actions. They can only be inherited. Uh... yuck. [I Dunno]

Finally, if everyone became a hero because they were fated to by the actions of a long-dead ancestor, it contributes to cookie-cutter origins and characterization. Why have a team where everyone supposedly celebrates diversity but arrived on the scene for the same reason? Kinda' pointless.

I, too, admire Ex's detective skills. But I don't want Tyroc to be a legacy hero. DC, give us something new. Don't just keep tying a book set in the future to your books set in the present. You're discouraging original ideas and hamstringing Legion writers in the process. (If something happens to present-day Stewart, it's going to impact his supposed future descendent and mess with an already murky, constantly-debated continuity.) Enough already!

[AHHHH!!!!]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
reincarnation of John Stewart, like they do with Thom Kaller as he is a reincarnation of Scalphunter/Matt O'Dare? *heh*

although that Donna Troy and John Stewart used to work together as Darkstars....hmmm....not to mention that Paradise Island is the island that s well hidden from the world....can see the slight connection .

From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
So why does someone have to share a surname to be a descendant? Half my grandparents, 3/4 of my great-grandparents, 7/8 of my great-great grandparents, etc. etc. had different surnames than I do. Really, when you think about it, probably half the current population of earth will be an ancestor of any given individual 1000 years in the future.

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.