Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » STAR TREK/LEGION #6 (preview) (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: STAR TREK/LEGION #6 (preview)
Korbal
The Lightning World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korbal   Email Korbal         Edit/Delete Post     
From Comics Continuum:
http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1203/20/startreklegions61.htm
http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1203/20/startreklegions62.htm
http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1203/20/startreklegions63.htm
http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1203/20/startreklegions64.htm
http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1203/20/startreklegions65.htm
http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1203/20/startreklegions66.htm
http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1203/20/startreklegions67.htm
http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1203/20/startreklegions68.htm

--------------------
"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63

Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
A satisfying end to a series that was pretty much fluff overall. The whole story probably would've worked better told in two oversize issues, ala Superboy's Legion, but it was a lot of fun overall.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
What he said.
[Yes]

I so <3 those characters.
[sigh]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malvolio
Devil's Advocate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malvolio   Email Malvolio         Edit/Delete Post     
I especially enjoyed the portrayal of:

SPOILER!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Q! He's one of my favorite Star Trek characters.

--------------------
Watching television is not an activity.

From: Freeville, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita Cocktail
*hic*

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Anita Cocktail   Author's Homepage   Email Anita Cocktail         Edit/Delete Post     
Feh! The only good thing about this series was the covers.
We got 3 issues worth of story spread over 6, and the Moy brothers seemed to have phoned in the art.
Once again, Feh!

From: Gorilla Nebula Pub | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Gosh, I so disagree!
geez
[Frown]

--------------------

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evolution Has Failed
Two more armpits than Atmos!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evolution Has Failed   Email Evolution Has Failed         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree it was 3 issues of material spread over 6 issues, but that's endemic of the entire comics industry now, par for the new course.

And anyway, as far as I'm concerned, those were 3 REALLY GOOD issues of material(!). I do think the ending was a bit abrupt, but a minor complaint for me.

I will also say it was somewhat more Trek-centric than Legion, but then, IDW has a regular Trek series, not a Legion one.

Like a good Trek episode, I thought it was very though-provoking at then end: we tend to impose a time-limit on a person "maturing" based on our lifespans, so that you are expected to "mature" by adult-hood. Yet there is no reason why there should be a time-limit on such a thing. What we saw here was that if Flint had been given unlimited power before he had a chance to experience some key humbling and eye-opening events in his life (so that he "matured"), he'd have become almost the polar opposite persona.

Or the more interesting way to flip it: the incredibly evil despot Vandar the Stone turns out quite differently, and even benignly, when given just a bit more of a chance to mature and self-reflect before coming into power.

Maybe not the deepest concept(s) ever, but worthy of the two series represented, IMHO. Plus incredibly entertaining and well-executed character interactions... I just wish there was more!

--------------------
"I like stuff that doesn't exist."

From: Old Lyme, CT | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
A little too much talky-talk, for my taste. (A common situation whenever Q is involved, I think, as he never shuts up.)

The fight with the Trek-i-fied Fatal Five seemed a bit anticlimactic. They got their butts handed to them a bit too fast, and, if not for the characters *talking* about how deadly the Atomic Axe / Emerald Eye / etc. were, we'd have no idea that these chumps were even a threat.

Q was a mis-step, I think. He's not relevant to classic Trek team. Having him present is like having Kirk fighting a Borg or Captain Janeway interacting with Gul Dukat. The Squire of Gothos or a captured trio of Organian explorers or something would have fit better with the classic crew, IMO.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Somewhere, in an official Star Trek book, it was established that the Squire of Gothos, and his parents, were Q.
This was discussed before, on another thread.

So, I had no problem with his appearance, at all.
I just wish they'd connected the Time Trapper with him.
[Yes]

--------------------

Come, join me!

Korbal
The Lightning World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korbal   Email Korbal         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candlelight:
Somewhere, in an official Star Trek book, it was established that the Squire of Gothos, and his parents, were Q.
This was discussed before, on another thread.

So, I had no problem with his appearance, at all.
I just wish they'd connected the Time Trapper with him.
[Yes]

Actually, Peter David (in his ST Novel Q-Squared)revealed Q as having been intimate with Trelane's mother--suggesting possible paternity...

--------------------
"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63

Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raging Bull
Maverick

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raging Bull           Edit/Delete Post     
I enjoyed this six-issue run more than I have the recent LSH and Legion Lost issues. The same story definitely could have been told in fewer issues, but I liked the art and writing enough that I didn't mind that it dragged out a bit -- I was actually a little sad to see it end.

--------------------
♦ Translated from 31st century Texan to 21st century English ♦

From: The open range | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KryptonKid
Khyddae Kryptoneum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KryptonKid   Author's Homepage   Email KryptonKid         Edit/Delete Post     
I got bored and quit with #4.

--------------------
~Integritas~

From: Bgtzl Proper | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Just read #6 earlier today.

Overall, I'd say it wasn't worth the $24 cover price with very little story spread over those issues. I could easily see the story being told on TOS in one episode. And in a way it was, as the story was basically another take on "Mirror, Mirror" except the bad guys weren't alternate versions of themselves.

This leads me to my next point, as was stated above, that the story felt a lot more ST-centric, giving the LSHverse and characters more of a short shrift. I guess in a way that it's hard for this NOT to happen as the ST characters were portrayed by real people and imbued with personalities by them over nearly seventy episodes, six films and numerous guest appearances in successive movies and TV series. In short they're iconic.

The LSH is NOT iconic to most people, other than, perhaps, LSH fans like us. Even then, their appearance varies from artist to artist and their portrayals are inconsistent from writer to writer (and reboot to reboot).

With that in mind, Roberson did a creditable job with what he was given. You could see that he loved both properties. Using Flint/Vandal Savage as the threat and basically presenting both characters as the same person was a good idea. It was little disappointing that Vandal Savage was used instead of a more traditional Legion villain. Well, at least Vandal HAD appeared as Legion antagonist before, albeit in a different continuity. The amalgams of various characters and races were pretty entertaining as well.

The Moy brothers were also delightful, in my opinion, with how they depicted the story. They did well with both casts. Nice with the LSH, especially, since this wasn't the version they'd worked on.

In the end it was enjoyable. I'm a fan of both properties, though more of the Legion than of ST. I grew up on the ST movies mostly and then the various series that followed in the late '80s and beyond, especially TNG and DS9. (Though I've seen many TOS eps, I actually didn't even know who the hell Flint was!) I wish I'd just waited for the collected edition and saved some dough. I bought all the covers by classic LSH artists and forsook the gorgeous Jimenez covers. Ultimately, I probable would have gotten everything I wanted in the TBP without paying as much and probably wouldn't have noticed the sparcity of story as much.

I'm still kinda amazed this project ever happened, really! As "logical" as the two crossing over was, I'm amazed that DC and IDW had the confidence to take a gamble on it with the LSH being the obvious, unequal underdog between the two projects. I guess I'm kinda glad it happened in the end!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
This wasn't the be-all, end-all story of the decade, but overall I'm glad it came out. Certainly, it was mostly a fluff piece, but I thought it was a fun one at that. Like Lardy says, I'm glad it exists.

I actually have very limited knowledge of Star Trek, just knowing the basics of the original 60's cast. So to me, the addition of Q was a cool thing, and made me want to know more about him.

I think this crossover was a good thing for the Legion. Roberson was forced to approach them as if they were truly brand new to the audience of this series--something most writers have been unable to do for awhile. He smartly picked 6 of the Legionnaires most representative of franchise and then used them well.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Agreed it was WAY decompressed and very fluffy. But who doesn't like to cuddle with something fluffy now and then? I enjoyed all the Trek in-jokes (Shredded shirts! Kirk hits on Tasmia! etc) In many ways it was a dream come true. I *would buy* a DC/IDEW Trek/LSH (as in, DC is the primary releaser) mini too. I would hope it would be a bit denser.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.