Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion Lost #8 (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Legion Lost #8
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
No comments on this yet?

I liked the previous issue, except for that expository dialog (which unfortunately, was in the preview) but not this one so much. Dialogue seems off (at least partly because people are calling each other by code names more than they should be) and since this is the lead-in to a crossover it has unknown villains fighting the team for unknown reasons. (DC: Don't make a new writer's second issue be a crossover.)

There's also a bit too much team infighting, but to be fair, that was inherent in the premise of the book; these aren't really core Legion members.

And I didn't care for the retcons about Yera's marriage breaking up or about the trip not being about Alastor (you really think that they wouldn't have told everyone on the team what the reason for the mission is?) And what prophecy? You're going to have a prophecy about an event that happened 1000 years in the past?

Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
The new 'reason' for them to be in the past that isn't Alastor sounds dubious to me, but the writing of the previous issues did make it seem like there was some other agenda going on, so it's not totally out of left field, I guess.

Up here in Cow Hampshire, we don't get comics until Thursday mid-afternoon (they have to be trucked up from civilization, AKA Massachusetts), so I won't be able to comment on it more in-depth until later. [Smile]

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmeraldEmpress
Beautiful & Merciless

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmpress   Email EmeraldEmpress         Edit/Delete Post     
With Yera and Gim, we have the fourth couple broken after Legion Of 3 Worlds.

Lydda-Rokk
Tasmia-Lar
Ayla-Brin

Why DC don't let Geoff Johns continues the good job and let Paul Levitz destroy all the beloved characters of the olf fans?

Without count all the legionnaires out of game :

Saturn Girl
Lightning Lad
Sensor Girl
Matter Eater Lad
Quislet

Replaced for heroes of third category as : Dragonwing, Harmonia, Glorith, Comet Queen.

Why? Why?

--------------------
From Spain with glamour.

From: Valencia- Spain | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I dropped Legion Lost because of Yera and Gim's broken relationship.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
I wouldn't count Ayla-Brin. That had already been broken up years earlier and only was back because of a change by Johns in the first place, and it was broken up for another fan-favorite pairing.

And Lydda-Rokk was broken up by Geoff Johns.

Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
So, in a thousand years, relationships haven't changed a bit.
That's encouraging.
[Roll Eyes]

Superheroes are even worse than the regular people, like police officers?

DOES Levitz need to move on?
Who would DC get?
The LOST writers aren't very popular.
Johns wasn't either.
[Frown]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't recall Johns endearing himself with LSH fandom. The Lightning Saga seemed to be more of a vehicle to bring back Kid Flash & Legion of 3 Worlds was used to bring back Kon-el.

Personally I think that Paul Levitz & Keith Giffen as a team writing the Legion is greater than the sum of the parts.

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
I liked the art in this and Tyroc and Brin butting heads isn't too surprising given Brin's post-Three Worlds treatment and Tyroc's traditional personality. It is a little strange to see everyone defer to Tyroc with Wildfire having been a past leader and having more seniority. I'd like to assume he was handpicked off-panel for the mission to explain this trend.

I'm never a fan of the Spanking New Bad Guys showing up and defeating people who have been fighting for years, but I understand that's the M.O. for new characters. I would have preferred at least a few Legionnaires fighting back and winning. At the end of the day, they were all psychically knocked out to fulfill the plot need so why not a few 'wins' before then?

Gates was saying "ain't" a lot. I thought that was jarring. We've never seen the character speak like that before, though perhaps it's to make him sound more like the 'curmudgeonly, yokel revolutionary.' I should bite my tongue - at least he's alive and getting some use!

A necessary story/issue to get the ball rolling on the Culling, which I'm curious to see what that is really all about. I want to write more positive things because the issue wasn't all that bad, but at the same time there's been so many "just okay" Legion books that it's killing my steam a bit. Nothing has really floored me over since Three Worlds, with the last Legion Annual and Jiminez's initial Academy issues coming closest.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
The fact that Beast Boy and Terra showed up at the end of Superboy #8, with Terra stating that "in the Culling everyone's an enemy" leads me to believe it's a death tournament.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
It's very frustrating DeFalco (or Fabian, if it was his idea) decided to ruin Gim and Yera's marriage behind the scenes and for no reason at all. What utter BS. I don't regret my decision to quit reading this stupid comic.

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

I fell into the same trap I fell in regarding Titans.

I was only buying Legion Lost because it was a Legion associate book, and I've been blind to the bad quality. Gates' dialog should've been a gigantic tip-off.

No more.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

The Man From Cargg
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Man From Cargg   Email The Man From Cargg         Edit/Delete Post     
Well I suppose separated couples could always work things out and come back together again.

What frustrates me is that these have all been passed off as a fait accompli. A story arc unfolding over time that showed the disintegration of one of these iconic relationships would be much more compelling and the dissolution would probably be easier to accept in the long run.

--------------------
The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.

From: Hamilton | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
MFC, I think it's time to face it: An awful lot of writers and editors at the Big Two are hung up on the idea that the fantasy of Eternal Swinging Bachelorhood is what sells. To their minds, long-term marriages or relationships are just icky.

[Roll Eyes] No more Peter/MJ, no more Clark/Lois, etc. They've determined, rightly or wrongly, that "ESB" is what sells and now the phenomenon is going to spread everywhere.

For the record, I agree with you that an actual story, instead of hamfisted, implausible explanations after the fact, would make it all somewhat more bearable.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita Cocktail
*hic*

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Anita Cocktail   Author's Homepage   Email Anita Cocktail         Edit/Delete Post     
Darlings, I have been defending Legion Lost since issue 1, but even Auntie Anita must admit that #8 was a steaming pile of poop!!
From: Gorilla Nebula Pub | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Anita that's a terrible word.

Steaming.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.