Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion Lost #8 (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Legion Lost #8
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought the first six issues of Legion Lost were enjoyable and I applauded the special focus on those handful of Legionnaires featured. LL#7 seemed a rough transition issue for the new writer and #8 was just plain disappointing. Historically, the Legion has always faired badly with team-ups, seeming to be always second class heroes and characters even in their own titles (I'm thinking specifically of the JLA and Teen Titans meetings), so I haven't really been looking forward to this "Culling" crossover. While the Legion Lost team didn't get totally schooled (yet) by their 21st century opponents, they of course seemed to get the worst of it. I'm all for our heroes having challenges and adversity, but it's no entertainment to me to view them for multi-issues as someone else's doormat.

The Yera/Gim revelation was an unpleasant surprise. Weren't the two of them all cuddles on a balcony some months back in the Legion title before Lost occured? The switch from the Alastor mission to something more sinister smells of the new writing team simply ignoring the previous Lost storyline premise on a whim.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Man From Cargg
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Man From Cargg   Email The Man From Cargg         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by The Man From Cargg:
Well I suppose separated couples could always work things out and come back together again.

hey looks like I might be right on this one... see LSH #8

--------------------
The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.

From: Hamilton | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't think anyone has talked about the actual issue except for the Yera and Gim's relationship. Which I am bummed about. Violet's Story was my first issue ever.

Anyways! HELLO Aaron Kuder!!! Great art man. He had them looking young but not like little manga brats. Loved the combination of big swooping dynamic action and detail.

This has been my favorite issue so far of the entire series. Good old school action, with lots of info being dropped. The villains were interesting...I thought the Legion would wipe the floor with them. Wildfire, Tyroc and T-Wolf should be able to take almost anybody. But Defalco did great here as well. This issue has turned this series around for me.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
With this issue, Lost jumped ahead of LSH in terms of quality IMO. Whereas LSH is dragging, Lost is getting better and better each month. There's a way to go still but it's moved into 'eager to see next issue territory'.

What's so good? I'll tell you:

- killer art, like Jorge says. Aaron Kuder made it exciting! Best Legion art thus far in the new DCnU.

- SUBPLOTS!!! There are a lot of them. And thank goodness! I want something to hold my interest here. Its a very Claremont X-Men approach to have five subplots / secrets referenced in one issue but that's better than the directionless feeling it had before.

- tension! The characters are not seeing eye to eye yet is doesn't feel forced to me; instead it feels very natural.

- the 'new' + using other DC characters. A great combo of both, which takes advantage of the premise of the series while carving his own identity.

This was a solid issue!

And eh, who cares about the Gim / Yera relationship at this point? Yera hasn't been interesting since 1987. Even the Chamelon Girl thing felt lame. Maybe this subplot can rectify that.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kcekada
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kcekada   Email kcekada         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by EmeraldEmpress:
With Yera and Gim, we have the fourth couple broken after Legion Of 3 Worlds.

Lydda-Rokk
Tasmia-Lar
Ayla-Brin

Why DC don't let Geoff Johns continues the good job and let Paul Levitz destroy all the beloved characters of the olf fans?

Without count all the legionnaires out of game :

Saturn Girl
Lightning Lad
Sensor Girl
Matter Eater Lad
Quislet

Replaced for heroes of third category as : Dragonwing, Harmonia, Glorith, Comet Queen.

Why? Why?

It's all pretty horrible. Although I liked John's Action Comics story, I didn't go along with everything he did -- and Legion of 3 Worlds seemed like it was conceived just to bring back Bart and Connor.

The worst thing Levitz did was introduce these bland new characters from the Academy instead of finally giving the 80s Academy members their due. I'd much rather see Nightwind that Harmonia. Paul just isn't bringing anything good to the Legion. I think it's time for Legion Lost to end - and these guys to wind their way back to the future somehow -- even if it means waiting 1,000 years in the Phantom Zone.

Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, to be fair, Matter Eater Lad and Quislet have been out of the game for quite some time and Ayla and Brin's relationship ended decades ago, though there were hints of them being "back" some months ago.

I do agree that the new wave of Legionnaires are third rate though. Except for Glorith who I would love to see more of.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Yera didn't seem to have any trouble at all shapeshifting this time around.

Could it be she's just ignoring the pain since she's in battle, or has she been lying about that too?

And if so, who have her her orders? One of the Legionnaires (maybe Brainiac 5?), or could it be someone else in the UP?

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
You know, I could see Cham in Yera's role.....hiding a secret more important mission from the rest of the team is something that fits his personality a lot more than hers...and I also think it's a storyline that wouldn't really damage him as a character because he has proven time and time again that he's as trustworthy as any other Legionnaire. So as readers, we know that it must be something altruistic he's doing, and it would make sense for the other Legionnaires to forgive him because of their history with him.

Yera on the other hand was introduced to the team not only lying to them for months, but replacing one of their own members while Vi was being held captive by Micro Lad. Accepted wisdom is that Yera was a dupe in that storyline, so it's more acceptable that she hasn't faced any consequences for it. Now her relationship with Gim has dissolved and she is taking on some secret mission which has to be hidden from her teammates.

Frankly, unless this is written spectacularly well, she easily has the potential to come out of this looking really bad. The last thing the Legion needs is a wannabe Mystique - a shapeshifter who can be their ally but can't really ever be fully trusted...

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by razsolo:
You know, I could see Cham in Yera's role.....hiding a secret more important mission from the rest of the team is something that fits his personality a lot more than hers...and I also think it's a storyline that wouldn't really damage him as a character because he has proven time and time again that he's as trustworthy as any other Legionnaire. So as readers, we know that it must be something altruistic he's doing, and it would make sense for the other Legionnaires to forgive him because of their history with him.

Yera on the other hand was introduced to the team not only lying to them for months, but replacing one of their own members while Vi was being held captive by Micro Lad. Accepted wisdom is that Yera was a dupe in that storyline, so it's more acceptable that she hasn't faced any consequences for it. Now her relationship with Gim has dissolved and she is taking on some secret mission which has to be hidden from her teammates.

Frankly, unless this is written spectacularly well, she easily has the potential to come out of this looking really bad. The last thing the Legion needs is a wannabe Mystique - a shapeshifter who can be their ally but can't really ever be fully trusted...

Oh God... a wannabe Mystique?

And who co-created her? Dave Cockrum. It'd be a mythology gag from hell.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
The follow-up to Lost #8 appears in TEEN TITANS ANNUAL #1. It's the beginning of The Culling, and the big bad guy, Harvest, claims he brought the Legion to the 21st century.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Didn't DC just do this thing with a bunch of characters in a big crossover gladiatorial slaught-a-thon last year?

I'm not any more attracted to the idea now than I was then.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Thank goodness for Cobie's post, otherwise I would have thought I was going crazy.

For me, LLOST didn't get GOOD unti issue 7 and issue 8 was also very enjoyable (with the possible exception of Gates' weird new speech patterns).

I'm intrigued by the secret Yera mentions, and as for her and Gim's breakup? LONG overdue. That entire relationship was forced from the get-go and at worst a complete slap in the face to the characters of Gim Allon and Salu Digby. Though I learned to accept it (and even Yera) over time, it never rang "true" to me... just seemed a way to get Gim a galpal. Thank goodness that nonsense is undone!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Homewrecker Lad!

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
What?!?! A whole thread on LL #8 and absolutely NO mention of Yera growing a gigantic monster PENIS with which to slam "Gim" into the ceiling?

What? You didn't notice?!? Well, whip out your copy and turn to story page 9, panel 4 and look again, bunkies! Then, facepalm and report right back here! [Yes]

(I mean, REALLY! Bleeding Cool even pointed this out in one of their articles last month! [Big Grin] )

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
So did scans_daily, Lardy.

Yeah, that was kind of weird, but I was so busy being annoyed at the sudden retcon of their relationship that I didn't really care.

[No]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.