Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion Lost #8 (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Legion Lost #8
the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by cleome45:
MFC, I think it's time to face it: An awful lot of writers and editors at the Big Two are hung up on the idea that the fantasy of Eternal Swinging Bachelorhood is what sells. To their minds, long-term marriages or relationships are just icky.

[Roll Eyes] No more Peter/MJ, no more Clark/Lois, etc. They've determined, rightly or wrongly, that "ESB" is what sells and now the phenomenon is going to spread everywhere.

For the record, I agree with you that an actual story, instead of hamfisted, implausible explanations after the fact, would make it all somewhat more bearable.

I think it's more laziness on the part of the writers than any idea that ESB sells. The fact is that unmarried characters are easier to write. I remember when Barry Allen first got married writers complained that it limited what they could do with the character. So naturally they killed Iris Allen off (of course they brought her back eventually, but hey, this is comics, right?)

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
I've really gotten tired of modern comic book storytelling with major events/crisises at the top of my list of peeves. It used to be that deaths were relatively rare events. With a a story arc named "the Culling" I'd assume that there will be more than one or even two deaths this time around.

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by googoomuck:
I've really gotten tired of modern comic book storytelling with major events/crisises at the top of my list of peeves. It used to be that deaths were relatively rare events. With a a story arc named "the Culling" I'd assume that there will be more than one or even two deaths this time around.

Since around 1986 or so (starting with Crisis On Infinite Earths) both DC and Marvel comics have been event-driven (as opposed to plot or character driven). Blame the fans who seem compelled to buy two copies of every "event" comic that comes out.

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I've gotten very tired of the writer complaint that they're so limited by couples who stay together.
What's really boring is reading about or watching people who never mature, who never establish any real relationships, married or not.

In all of the Legion years, there've been, what, 3 or 4 marriages of leading characters and the only ones still married are no longer Legionnaires - Imra & Garth and Lu & Chuck.
Val died almost immediately after he and Jeckie married, or that's how it seemed.

Jo and Tinya married in another reality, IIRc, which doesn't count anymore.
[Razz]

Anyway, I loved Gim's looks in LOST this month, even if it wasn't really him.
sigh
If he'd been drawn like that through the years, he'd have been a much more popular character, I think.
[Yes]
Just sayin'.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Yera doesn't seem to have trouble shapeshifting now. Continuity error, or has she been lying about that?

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
Remember that the two current Legion books are grouped with DC's other teenage character books. (What do they call it...Young Justice?) That's why we're getting more stories featuring young, less experienced Academy students and fewer stories involving established characters with more mature relationships...unless you count bedroom scenes.

The most mature relationship we've seen is Chuck's and Luornu's, and they're pretty much just the parent figures of the Academy students. As heroes, they're has-beens.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[snip]

quote:
Originally posted by the Hermit:
...I think it's more laziness on the part of the writers than any idea that ESB sells. The fact is that unmarried characters are easier to write...

Okay, I'll bite, Hermit. Why is it somehow easier to write unmarried characters?

[Confused]

quote:
Originally posted by googoomuck:

Well, I never bought multiple issues of Crisis I, but as I've said before: If I could go back in time and un-buy the whole damn thing, I would.

I mean, portions of it have merit, but in retrospect supporting it (not to mention the horror that was Secret Wars-- ick.) was about the worst of all possible messages I could have sent to the people in charge.

[No]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Hermit
Applicant

quote:
Okay, I'll bite, Hermit. Why is it somehow easier to write unmarried characters?
Maybe because there are far fewer cliches for hack writers to fall back on with married characters?

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
I wonder how many comic book writers are married? Maybe many of the present ones feel they don't have that much personal experience to draw on.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
cleome45:

quote:
Because courtship = hero's quest = enjoyable root of conflict. Marriage = happily ever after.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Hermit, Chaim, sorry. I have to disagree with you both. There are about ten billion cliches attached to single heroes. I mean, I'm enjoying Mark Waid's Daredevil stuff, and yet a big part of me knows that there's no point in feeling any real interest or any warm fuzzies about the romantic subplot. We all know by now that Matt and the Woman du Jour won't be happy for long. They'll break up, and there's about a 99% chance that she'll be maimed or die horribly at some point. That's pretty much "a thing" with modern-day superheroes. Hell, are ANY of Daredevil's exes still alive?

And I'm not even going to comment about the total lack of maturity indicated by the idea from the people in charge that "happily ever after" is the only way to go in depicting a long-term relationship. They can give us "mature content" that includes graphic violence, ham-fisted political metaphors, and boobs hanging out everywhere. But, no, they can't devote a few panels every couple of issues to a married or long-term couple because... uh, it's too grown-up and ewwww... so totally not fun. Or something.

Bleah. If the Legion creative team is that damn bored with the whole idea of people waking up every day next to the same person, I'd rather see the characters written out of the narrative altogether (like Garth and Imra) than constantly kicked around (and given bizarre, inexplicable or badly explained personality transplants) in the name of "edgy" eternal singledom.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KryptonKid
Khyddae Kryptoneum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KryptonKid   Author's Homepage   Email KryptonKid         Edit/Delete Post     
My thing is if Yera and Gim broke up then why did he quit the Legion? The process of detachment had begun. Yes, he surely still had feelings for her, but it doesn't make sense that he would just walk away from his greatest support system and source of his sense of purpose.

[No]

--------------------
~Integritas~

From: Bgtzl Proper | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
cleome45:

quote:
Hermit, Chaim, sorry. I have to disagree with you both. There are about ten billion cliches attached to single heroes....And I'm not even going to comment about the total lack of maturity indicated by the idea from the people in charge that "happily ever after" is the only way to go in depicting a long-term relationship....But, no, they can't devote a few panels every couple of issues to a married or long-term couple because... uh, it's too grown-up and ewwww... so totally not fun. Or something.
I'm not disagreeing with you at all. Good writers don't settle for the trite cliches, and those are the types who are able to make married super-heroes work. But way too many out there are lazy and want to write by-the-numbers.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Hermit
Applicant

quote:
Originally posted by cleome45:
Hermit, Chaim, sorry. I have to disagree with you both. There are about ten billion cliches attached to single heroes. I mean, I'm enjoying Mark Waid's Daredevil stuff, and yet a big part of me knows that there's no point in feeling any real interest or any warm fuzzies about the romantic subplot. We all know by now that Matt and the Woman du Jour won't be happy for long. They'll break up, and there's about a 99% chance that she'll be maimed or die horribly at some point. That's pretty much "a thing" with modern-day superheroes. Hell, are ANY of Daredevil's exes still alive?

Actually, I completely agree with you on all points. In fact, the point I was trying to make is that single characters are easier to write because of the wealth of cliches available to writers whose emphasis is on big events rather than traditional story elements such as plot and characterization. The fact is that well-written comics featuring married characters do exist (see Animal Man), but that DC and Marvel have been hell-bent on outdoing each other with huge headline-grabbing company-wide world-changing events ever since the 1980s and as long as that kind of stuff sells (and it does, unfortunately) I don't see the trend changing anytime soon.

--------------------

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candlelight:
So, in a thousand years, relationships haven't changed a bit.
That's encouraging.
[Roll Eyes]

Superheroes are even worse than the regular people, like police officers?

DOES Levitz need to move on?
Who would DC get?
The LOST writers aren't very popular.
Johns wasn't either.
[Frown]

If Levitz had to be replaced by anyone, I say Chris Roberson.

Star Trek/Legion wasn't award winning, but he's got a clear love of Legion lore. He brought back Kent Shakespeare and Laurel Kent even if he couldn't call her Laurel.

His work on I Zombie is amazing and it's clear he knows how to write gay characters.

If not Chris, then Jeff Lemire. Because he's, he's just great.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.