Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Garth and Mekt are twins, and Ayla is their younger sister (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Garth and Mekt are twins, and Ayla is their younger sister
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Looks like the idea that the serum gives him powers under a red sun originates with the Origins and Powers of the Legionnaires feature.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
I finally got around to reading the story from Superboy #207. I thought it was pretty lousy, and it wouldn't have been any worse if not for the continuity error. The impact of the story, to the extent that it had any impact, would have been in no way lessened if Cary had depicted Mekt as Garth's older brother instead of his twin brother.

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I agree that it was a poor choice to make Mekt and Garth twins.

The worst part for me was that the short backup story in # 207 is nothing but a preview for # 208, featuring the LSV. The former story leads us to believe there's going to be some huge confrontation between Garth and Mekt, but instead Garth flies in, blasts Mekt with one lightning bolt, and that's it. Garth isn't even a major player in the story. All of the emotional drama set up in # 207 leads to nothing.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evolution Has Failed
Two more armpits than Atmos!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evolution Has Failed   Email Evolution Has Failed         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree that #207 is more egregious in that, if you knew enough to know they were siblings, you should have made sure you had the twin pairing right, and also that was the 1970's, by then comics had gone past just stories for kids, and the writer's should have known better about being careful.

On the other hand, as Sir Tim Drake points out, that particular detail wasn't germane to the story...

unlike Adv #333, even more so than #319, having the entire outcome depend on Mon-el's lack of vulnerability to red sun rays.

I note the link the "Origins and Power of the Legion" dates that to Adv #316... I wonder if they didn't slip that in because #319 was already written?

Or perhaps that really was by design, and the 'goof' was really that this plot point was subsequently dropped by being ignored (unless someone can recall a mention of it after Action #379? An obvious explanation would be that as he built immunity to the serum, that particular effect wore off ... but I don't recall seeing that anywhere...)

Here's another one, though really an omission, not a goof:

Does anybody remember Superboy#206? that was the one where a clone of Ferro Lad re-appears, then blows up after I think 24 (or 48) hours.

Now move to V4, the TMK book, and the SW6 batch of clones.

given that SB#206 was so close in time to Action #379 (that's the Eltro Gand story, no? which the Bierbaum's drew on heavily), I still can't understand why, not even ONCE, did any character raise even the slightest concern that gee, the last time they had clones of Legionnaires, they blew up after 24 hours?

I was actually expecting that to be a big plot point (dark as the tone was then, I was half expecting them to all blow up at once, actually), but nothing, SB#206 was just ignored.

--------------------
"I like stuff that doesn't exist."

From: Old Lyme, CT | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
The SW6 Legionnaires were not clones. They were the original Legionnaires snatched out of time by the Timetrapper.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

A more egregious error in Superboy 206 is that Superboy acts all shocked and mystified when the "dead" legionnaires show up and his narration indicates that he has no idea where they came from. Then at the end, it turns out he knew they were clones all along and was testing them for the Legion. It seems pretty heartless for the Legion to have been creating clones, letting them think they were the originals, knowing they were going to blow up and die all over again. Then they just act like, "Oh well, back to the drawing board."

--------------------

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Action 384 was the Eltro story. Action 379 was the Sunburst story.

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
It seems pretty heartless for the Legion to have been creating clones, letting them think they were the originals, knowing they were going to blow up and die all over again. Then they just act like, "Oh well, back to the drawing board."

Yeah, it was heartless manipulation of us fans, too.

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evolution Has Failed
Two more armpits than Atmos!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evolution Has Failed   Email Evolution Has Failed         Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, errors by me all over the place...

But didn't the SW6 Legionnaires (or the primary ones), unless I'm way off, originally THINK/ASSUME that the SW6 batch were clones, while it was only later revealed that they were instead pulled out by TT?

IF not (and I'm not ruling this out), then I think I feel a neuro-degenerative disorder coming on. [Frown]

IF so, I'm not saying it was an ommission they didn't blow up, only that no one appeared to even be concerned about it.

AS for the other comments on #206, I agree ... given all the focus on bio-ethics in the last decades, yeah, that one is in retrospect pretty reprehensible. However, at the time, that type of thing had gone largely un-debated in public forum.

Definitely a good example of comics being a useful historical benchmark for sociological evolution (so of course would old newspapers, but who keeps those?!? [Smile] )

--------------------
"I like stuff that doesn't exist."

From: Old Lyme, CT | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Yes, I think that the original assumption was that the SW6 batch were clones.

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
That was at least one possibility that was discussed.

Presumably, however, if they were clones they would've been Dominion-created clones, while it is specifically the Legion's attempts to clone that result in explosion. We know that other groups, most notably the Dark Circle, have successful cloning tech. I'm not sure if the Dominion is ever shown using clones before this, but certainly it would fit in with their overall interest in biotech.

Though given the number of lab-grown humanoids (not necessarily clones) that we see in the Silver Age, it may be better to look at #206 as another Bates-era anomaly that doesn't fit in very well with the overall continuity and simply ignore it.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
As another evidence of Cary's poor memory and/or carelessness, in Flash #292 he states the Mirror Master's name as Joe Scudder instead of Sam Scudder. (Which is odd since an alliterative name should be *easy* to remember -- that's why Stan Lee used so many of them.) Cary had a habit of getting villains' real names wrong, according to this thread:

http://speedforce.org/2010/04/review-flash-secret-files/#comment-10112

--------------------

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

I have a much earlier issue of The Flash (don't remember the issue number off hand --in the 220s, I think), in which Mirror Master's name is also given as Joe and The Top's name is given as Roscoe Neyle (instead of Roscoe Dillon). Some clever editor eventually decided their full names were Samuel Joseph (or Joseph Samuel, I think) Scudder and Roscoe Neyle Dillon.

--------------------

Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
I have a much earlier issue of The Flash (don't remember the issue number off hand --in the 220s, I think), in which Mirror Master's name is also given as Joe and The Top's name is given as Roscoe Neyle (instead of Roscoe Dillon). Some clever editor eventually decided their full names were Samuel Joseph (or Joseph Samuel, I think) Scudder and Roscoe Neyle Dillon.

That reminds me of this scene from Terry Pratchett's Wyrd Sisters:

quote:
"What's his name?" said Vitoller.

"Tom," said Granny, hardly hesitating.

"John," said Nanny. The two witches exchanged glances. Granny won.

"Tom John," she said firmly, and swept out.

--------------------

Malvolio
Devil's Advocate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malvolio   Email Malvolio         Edit/Delete Post     
Stan Lee has often said that even with the alliterative names, he had trouble from time to time remembering the full names of characters he himself had created.

--------------------
Watching television is not an activity.

From: Freeville, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.