Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » LEGION #8 (Preview) (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: LEGION #8 (Preview)
Korbal
The Lightning World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korbal   Email Korbal         Edit/Delete Post     
From CBR:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=12125
Assuming Zardon is a typo for Tharok's homeworld Zadron, Paul seems to be revamping the Fatal Five again...

--------------------
"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63

Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I have this to say...

Garth/Imra, Garth in action, and... the possibility of a Legion relationship being restored?

I approve.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Another underwhelming issue overall, imo.

I really liked the spotlight on Jacques, and perhaps the most interesting bit was the reference to Danielle, who I'm still hoping will join the cast at least as an Academy member. Would like to have seen her rather than just hear about her, however.

I'm hoping we get a kickass Fatal Five story out of this, but I'm not optimistic. I suppose the big mystery is as to who is reforming them. The Dark Man? It would've been interesting if the Legion themselves had been manipulated into bringing them back together somehow, in homage to the original story.

The back-up seemed a lot of pages basically just to get Rokk and Lydda back together, and even most of that happens off-panel while the story shifts focus to the rather dull Garth side-mission.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmeraldEmpress
Beautiful & Merciless

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmpress   Email EmeraldEmpress         Edit/Delete Post     
Yes, good both stories.
The promise of the Fatal Five return.
I hope Levitz bring back Sarya and Validus.
Steve Lightle drew a very sexys Jacques, Lar and Jo.
Lydda and Rokk are together again....Wonderful!
Also Imra looks precious with her ponytail. Thanks Yildiray Cinar!
Maybe she and Garth comes soon to the active duty.
Everything seems to intend likely, only want that Jeckie returns to the action in the Fatal Five storyline.

--------------------
From Spain with glamour.

From: Valencia- Spain | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
too short a preview !! That bunny lady sure is mean.
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Unfortunately she was basically just another token interesting-looking but underdeveloped random bad guy.

If they'd given her a cool name like Death Bunny or something we'd be talking about her thrity years hence, but as is I doubt anybody will care about her by next month.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Look, I'm just happy that Garth and Imra don't show any signs of falling apart. Reading about those two together made me genuinely smile, and lately that's been a very hard thing for a recent DC comic to do.

If ever there was a hope spot in the DCnU, it's seeing those two love each other.

It sucks that so many other relationships have fallen apart, and that the Legion books aren't shining as brightly as they could, but I see the potential in Garth and Imra, and that's something to hope for towards the future.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ultrajo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ultrajo   Author's Homepage   Email ultrajo         Edit/Delete Post     
Really liked the artwork for the first story, which started to show promise but was over way too soon. The second story really went nowhere.
From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
Legion of Super-Heroes #8

Story One - 10 pages.
Pages 1-4 - Four unknown and forgettable villains violently search for some unidentified thing.
Page 5 - A Legionnaire finally appears, then two pages of fighting. Three villains are knocked out, one gets away.
Page 6, bottom - Finally...something interesting...Jacques' sister and Computo are mentioned, but only in one panel.
Page 7 - Lar and Jo are hanging around above the planet Zardon.
Page 8 - Lar and Jo break into a spaceship and find the escaped villain from pages 1-6.
Page 9 - Jo withstands the villain's gunblasts, getting his shirt destroyed in the process. Lar finds a gold button on the villain's belt.
Page 10 - Brainy "breeps" in and identifies the button and its sinister purpose.

Is it just me, or does that seem like one or two good pages-worth of story spread over 10 pages?

Story Two - 10 pages

This has a similar slow pace, but it's a more character-driven story, so maybe it works a little better. Still, we have 4 pages of Garth fighting a lightning storm, which has no obvious plot purpose and is really not that interesting. (Does it set up a future story? With Levitz's recent track record...maybe, but probably not.) In fact, it robs us of the potentially much more interesting story of Rokk and Lydda's reunion, which we only see glimpses of.

I enjoyed seeing the interaction among the three founders, as old friends they are, but in the end I just felt..."that's it?"

[ April 18, 2012, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: Legion Tracker ]

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm trying to choose my words carefully. Steve Lightle has a history of doing some amazing Legion art. He is always welcome on the book, and having him on a fill in is fun. But, I really found myself missing Portela this issue. His recent work has just been so dynamic. No complaints about the story. It was a brief set up. Invisible Kid, Mon-El and Ultra boy all carried their roles well. The Fatal Five, huh? Aren't we in the middle of a Dominator story line? Will we have to wait a few months (again) for any kind of payoff or will the stories intersect?

I enjoyed the second story. Again, Portela was missed, but I like Cinar's take on Garth. Yes, it would have been nice to see more conversation between Rokk and Lydda. It is was made clear that they still have feelings for one another. It's was nice to see Imra and Garth make the effort to get them together.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Legion Tracker:
In fact, it robs us of the potentially much more interesting story of Rokk and Lydda's reunion, which we only see glimpses of.

I don't think it's worth having a reunion story, since we never saw any good reason for them to break up in the first place, and they were basically broken up by Geoff Johns, even if there was that later panel in Adventure Comics.
Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Legion Tracker:
Legion of Super-Heroes #8

Story One - 10 pages.
Pages 1-4 - Four unknown and forgettable villains violently search for some unidentified thing.
Page 5 - A Legionnaire finally appears, then two pages of fighting. Three villains are knocked out, one gets away.
Page 6, bottom - Finally...something interesting...Jacques' sister and Computo are mentioned, but only in one panel.
Page 7 - Lar and Jo are hanging around above the planet Zardon.
Page 8 - Lar and Jo break into a spaceship and find the escaped villain from pages 1-6.
Page 9 - Jo withstands the villain's gunblasts, getting his shirt destroyed in the process. Lar finds a gold button on the villain's belt.
Page 10 - Brainy "breeps" in and identifies the button and its sinister purpose.

Is it just me, or does that seem like one or two good pages-worth of story spread over 10 pages?

Story Two - 10 pages

This has a similar slow pace, but it's a more character-driven story, so maybe it works a little better. Still, we have 4 pages of Garth fighting a lightning storm, which has no obvious plot purpose and is really not that interesting. (Does it set up a future story? With Levitz's recent track record...maybe, but probably not.) In fact, it robs us of the potentially much more interesting story of Rokk and Lydda's reunion, which we only see glimpses of.

I enjoyed seeing the interaction among the three founders, as old friends they are, but in the end I just felt..."that's it?"

Agreed on all points. I hope this book improves soon. I can hardly get up enough interest to go to the store and pick it up anymore.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Both stories were over long for what happened but that is comics these days. I am still not sure why the Garth fix the lightning task needed to be there other than to fill two pages with Garth action shots.

Having said that, the first mention of Danielle since the early eighties (omiting the Legionnaires continuity) and the prospect for Lydda coming back to the Legion as Rokk's squssze makes me very happy. Danielle in the Academy and Lydda back in the Legion would be dreamland to me.

--------------------
"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I haven't gotten the issue yet, but I thought the art on the 3 pages shown was wonderful!
I like Portella and Cinar, but I wasn't missing them a bit.

And there've been a lot of Legion characters over the years that we didn't find out the names of, sometimes never and sometimes only after awhile.

I liked the catgirl, but I couldn't tell if she actually had a costume on or if she was just doing the Las Vegas showgirl 'thingy'.
sigh

I hate the ultra violence, though.
That stuff is shoved down our throats constantly.
[Frown]

I, personally, am looking forward to getting #8.
But, that's just me.
[shrug]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candlelight:
I hate the ultra violence, though. That stuff is shoved down our throats constantly. [Frown]

I don't mind too terribly when someone dies to set up a storyline, such as the death of An Ryd and the Ultra Boy centric storyline it set off, but when somebody is killed to establish how badass someone is, and then that someone fails to catch on, it's just lame.

Atta knifing Micro Lad just to establish her 'street cred' got rid of an established Legion villain, one who had an actual motivation and characterization and played a major role in advancing Shrinking Violet's characterization, and then Atta got ganked off a few issues later anyway.

I'm no Micro Lad fan, that's for sure, but he was many times more useful a character than Atta, and was sacrificed to pump her up, only for her to get cast aside.

That's wasteful writing, IMO, and a sign that the writer is just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

Plus, killing hostages when you don't know who has the information you need, is dumb. Cat-girl would totally have had egg on her face if the dude said, 'Okay, okay, but, uh... My boss, the woman you just killed, was the only one who knew where it was...' [Smile]

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.