Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Meanings behind true legion names. (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Meanings behind true legion names.
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Rokk Krin-- Flaccid Cumquat.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Cece Beck (Thunder) was named after C.C.Beck, an artist who worked on Captain Marvel.

Dawnstar's Latin name is Aurora Stella, which sounds like something my grandaunt would have named her daughter.

Lyle (French origin) means island.
Garth (Norse) means enclosed garden.
Drake (English) means snake/dragon.
Dirk (Germanic) is ruler of the people.
Nura (Aramaic) means light.
Ayla (Hebrew) means oak tree.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
"Rokk Krin" is not that ludicrous a name, really. "Rokk" could easily be a variant of "Rock" and "Krin" appears to be of Dutch origin, though I've not been able to find a meaning for it.

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Can't find anything for "Tellus" or "Quislet". Quislet I don't mind, since it's kinda cool to say. Tellus always felt kinda clunky to me, though.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Jan is, of course, a Dutch/Nordic version of John, while Arrah is an Eastern European (Greek/Armenian) name.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
Can't find anything for "Tellus" or "Quislet". Quislet I don't mind, since it's kinda cool to say. Tellus always felt kinda clunky to me, though.

Tellus = "Tell Us"!

His real name, Ganglios, is Spanish for "Ganglion".

"Quislet" evokes "Quisling" (was he intended as a traitor?) and "Quixotic" (as in "romantic beyond all thought of pragmatism," after Don Quixote).

And I'm amazed you didn't mention that "Zoe" means "life" [Razz]

[ April 29, 2012, 08:04 AM: Message edited by: Reboot ]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:

Lyle (French origin) means island.
Garth (Norse) means enclosed garden.
Drake (English) means snake/dragon.
Dirk (Germanic) is ruler of the people.
Nura (Aramaic) means light.
Ayla (Hebrew) means oak tree.

Fascinating info! I had no idea that Nura and Ayla were real names.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
"Rokk Krin" is not that ludicrous a name, really. "Rokk" could easily be a variant of "Rock" and "Krin" appears to be of Dutch origin, though I've not been able to find a meaning for it.

Yes, which makes me think that Rokk might be the Braalian equivalent of Peter (Peter = rock, e.g. Peter as the "rock" upon which the Christian church was founded), which suggests a possible religious or faith background in Cos's family.

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I always assumed "Rokk" was meant to invoke "Rock Hudson".
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
Originally posted by Reboot:

His real name, Ganglios, is Spanish for "Ganglion".

"Ganglios" always made me think of "gangrene". Now I know why. [Razz]

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I always assumed "Rokk" was meant to invoke "Rock Hudson".

Me, too. Or "Rick" perhaps. (Which means that "flaccid cumquat" could apply to . . . well, never mind. [Smile] )

Though, as I think about it, I really like Rokk=Peter. After all, Cos was the "rock" of the Legion.

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester

I still think it would be cool if they connected him to Capt. Rock Braddon.
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Imra seems to be a variation of Irma, which according to Behind Baby Names is Germanic for "whole, universal".

Another possible origin is Imre, a Hungarian masculine name derived from an 11th century Hungarian saint.

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Couldn't find anything resembling "Tenzil" but "Kem" is similar to "Cem," which is Turkish for "ruler"--fitting since Tenz became Prez of Bismoll.

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester

It's also similar to "Kim", the most common last name in Korea, which apparently means "gold".
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.