Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Meanings behind true legion names. (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Meanings behind true legion names.
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Querl Dox- Flatulent mindworm

Nura Nal- Bulbous Empticous Boddacious

Brin Londo- He who devours he who devours your entrails and thoroughly enjoys it.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
"Brin" is a form of "Bryn", which means "mound, hill" in Welsh.

"Condo," interestingly enough, could be a simplified form on "Cionaodh", which is a variation of "Cinaed"= "born of fire" in Gaelic. "Kenneth" is the angelicized form of Cinaed.

[ April 29, 2012, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: He Who Wanders ]

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Pol - Paul = humble or small.
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Dag="day" (Old Norse).

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidChaos
Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KidChaos   Email KidChaos         Edit/Delete Post     
"Salu" could be short for "salutation", or greetings. "Digby" is an actual surname derived from the Middle English word for "dike".
*giggles*

[ April 29, 2012, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: KidChaos ]

--------------------
"are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over- an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist."

-Tobias Funke

From: MI | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
"Salu" is actually Latin for "greetings".
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I always assumed "Rokk" was meant to invoke "Rock Hudson".

Me, too. Or "Rick" perhaps. (Which means that "flaccid cumquat" could apply to . . . well, never mind. [Smile] )

Though, as I think about it, I really like Rokk=Peter. After all, Cos was the "rock" of the Legion.

Thou art Rokk and upon this Rokk I shall build my Legion. [Smile]

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Reboot:
And I'm amazed you didn't mention that "Zoe" means "life" [Razz]

Took it for granted that I did [Razz]

Her brother Thanot's name is similar to Thanos, which is Greek for "Noble". Zoe is Greek, too.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanatos is the Greek personification of death.
From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidChaos
Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KidChaos   Email KidChaos         Edit/Delete Post     
I always wondered if the original plan was to make Zoe's brother a villain, her name meaning "life" and his meaning "death".

I still maintain that it would have been cool if the Reboot LSV had been made up of siblings of the legionnaires. Mekt, Jancel, Thanatos. Reboot Pol Krinn was pretty much an empty slate, too. Maybe he was jealous of Cosmic Boy? Maybe he had a drug problem? Didn't Reep have a brother with issues?

--------------------
"are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over- an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist."

-Tobias Funke

From: MI | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Tenz had a jealous brother too! A villain that eats anything, that's what we need!

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Querl is similar to query and querulous. Inquisitive and complaining, that's Brainy!

--------------------

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Gim is similar to Jim, short for James, which I just found out means supplanter.

Luornu is close to Lorna, which means crowned with Laurel.

Charles means free man.

Andrew means courageous. I like it.

Val means power.

Tenzil is similar to Denzel which means wild one.

Lar is similar to Lars, which is derived from Lawrence, a family name of mine. It also means laurel-crowned.

Jeckie is similar to Jennie, short for Jennifer which means white wave. Could pertain to her hairdo.

Also similar to Jackie, short for Jacqueline, meaning to protect, which is similar to Projectra so we've come full circle.

Tasmia is similar to Tamara, meaning palm tree.

Thomas means a twin. Never knew that. My twin's middle name. What a coincidence.

Kal could be short for Kaleb, meaning faithful or bold.

Kara means sweet melody.

Jo was obviously derived from Jonah, meaning dove. Ironic. He seems more like a hawk to me.

[ May 06, 2012, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: jimgallagher ]

--------------------

jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Nolan means well known.

Allon is close to Allen, meaning handsome.

--------------------

Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Luornu is close to Lorna, which means crowned with Laurel.

"Luo" is a Chinese surname, apparently meaning "trap", "net", "gather". Can't find anything meaningful for "Rnu", but since it evokes "run", possibly something like "Running gatherer"?

quote:
Tasmia is similar to Tamara, meaning palm tree.

I'd more readily associate it with Tasmin, apparently a short form of Thomasina (which is, obviously, the feminine version of Thomas which, as you covered, means "twin").

quote:
Kal could be short for Kaleb, meaning faithful or bold.

"Calel" appears to be a Jewish name (Calel Perechodnik predates Superman), but I'm having trouble finding a definition.

Google Translate appears to suggest that "Kal" means "Light" in Hebrew, and "-El" is a historical suffix relating to God, so "Light of God"?!

In-continuity, however, "Kal-El" means (or at least has meant) "Star Child".

[ May 06, 2012, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: Reboot ]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.