Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » New recruits! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: New recruits!
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
So, what do we make of Otaki and M'Winadji?

Otaki (Oh-TA-kee) is most likely of Japanese decent. If I know my Levitz, she'll be of Earth, with powers gestated from the long-term affects of the Fukishima disaster. What kind of power do you get if you're bit by a radioactive wave? An aquatic-based power is one never seen in the Legion annals, IIRC, so that would be neat.

M'Winadji (MWIN-ad-gee) is of African descent, though not necessarily, in fact, probably, not of Earth. His name evokes T'Challa (thus my addition of the apostrophe) and the movie Jumanji. I imagine he is from some jungle or agrarian world (Manna-5?) with the ability to make wild animals appear. In fact, I bet his power is to grow animals super-fast Chlorphyll Kid-style from miniature sized versions kept in his belt.

Okay, maybe not.

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Also, FWIW, my translation from the interlac was mwieadji, but the more commonly accepted mwinadji makes more sense,
From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Where did you get these names?

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Translated the interlac from their cameo appearances in LSH #9
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:

Otaki (Oh-TA-kee) is most likely of Japanese decent. If I know my Levitz, she'll be of Earth, with powers gestated from the long-term affects of the Fukishima disaster.

What are the odds that her codename has the word "sun" in it? [Wink]
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Heroes of Chinese descent need to have dragon in their code name.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
Sun Dragon!

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
M'Winadji (MWIN-ad-gee) is of African descent, though not necessarily, in fact, probably, not of Earth. His name evokes T'Challa (thus my addition of the apostrophe) and the movie Jumanji. I imagine he is from some jungle or agrarian world (Manna-5?) with the ability to make wild animals appear. In fact, I bet his power is to grow animals super-fast Chlorphyll Kid-style from miniature sized versions kept in his belt.

Okay, maybe not. [/QB]

How synchronicitous! I was just throwing together some new characters that I would like to play around with and one of them was 'Ark Lad,' who produced 'eggs' that he could cause to expand into full sized animals from different worlds! (He was mixed race, part human and part some fish-race that stored many eggs inside themselves, like sturgeon, and had the mutant ability to imprint his otherwise infertile eggs with DNA from different animals he'd encountered, and then cause them to grow super-fast!)

Kind of the animal version of Chlorophyll Kid, really. The Legion hasn't really had a lot of summoner types, or someone with animal control / manipulation powers (barring poor Animal King).

And Otaki doesn't have to have tsunami powers or sun powers, there's plenty of other Japanese cliches she could tap into, like being a ninja, or having an energized samurai sword, or being able to turn into a giant robot girl (or giant fire-breathing atomic lizard-girl)! Maybe she has yakuza tattoos that she can animate! Maybe she's a nine-tailed fox spirit of mischievous powers!

Or maybe she's like Harmonia Li, Chinese to the hilt, but with mastery of the classical *western* elements. Otaki could be all traditionally Japanese, but have cowgirl powers of stunt-riding horses and trickshooting revolvers!

And her arch-nemesis can be Reverse Cowgirl!

Or not. [Smile]

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm, we're kinda being deluged with utterly new characters when there are plenty of existing candidates to choose from...I am not opposed to new blood in and of itself; we would never have had Tellus or Blok if Levitz was afraid to introduce any new elements to the team after all.

But the way it's happening now seems to be a bit too on the nose...we have characters floating around who want to be Legionnaires, who have no reason not to be Legionnaires, but they're being passed over for completely untested newbies in every instance.

Having said that, I hope Levitz steers away from the obvious cliches. It would be super cool if we got some powers the Legion have never had before instead of just a replacement for Timber Wolf or Colossal Boy or so on...

An empath might be an interesting way to fill the gap that Tellus and Saturn Girl have left.....I like the summoner idea mentioned above as well...maybe a new HEROIC Nemesis Kid? (though I guess that's kinda what we had with Variable Lad, and that didn't really work out too well)

To be honest, I would much rather see Infectious Lass, Calorie Queen, any of the Subs, any of the old-school Academy kids, the Heroes of Lallor or any of the existing reservists come back before getting any new members again so soon though...Glorith hasn't even been on an actual mission yet, has she? Let the new kids settle in a bit before we get newer new kids to steal their thunder [Razz]

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by razsolo: To be honest, I would much rather see Infectious Lass, Calorie Queen, any of the Subs, any of the old-school Academy kids, the Heroes of Lallor or any of the existing reservists come back before getting any new members again so soon though...Glorith hasn't even been on an actual mission yet, has she? Let the new kids settle in a bit before we get newer new kids to steal their thunder [Razz]
Agreed. I'm still a little bitter over the new kids bumping Lamprey and Nightwind, and wouldn't mind seeing some previously seen figures like 'Tiger Girl' or 'Amp Girl.' Yet more completely new characters seems unnecessary at this point, particularly on a team that's already quite large, and with the specter of the Legion Lost team returning within the year, if their own title gets cancelled.
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni   Email Omni         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by razsolo:
Hmm, we're kinda being deluged with utterly new characters when there are plenty of existing candidates to choose from...I am not opposed to new blood in and of itself; we would never have had Tellus or Blok if Levitz was afraid to introduce any new elements to the team after all.

But the way it's happening now seems to be a bit too on the nose...we have characters floating around who want to be Legionnaires, who have no reason not to be Legionnaires, but they're being passed over for completely untested newbies in every instance.

Having said that, I hope Levitz steers away from the obvious cliches. It would be super cool if we got some powers the Legion have never had before instead of just a replacement for Timber Wolf or Colossal Boy or so on...

An empath might be an interesting way to fill the gap that Tellus and Saturn Girl have left.....I like the summoner idea mentioned above as well...maybe a new HEROIC Nemesis Kid? (though I guess that's kinda what we had with Variable Lad, and that didn't really work out too well)

To be honest, I would much rather see Infectious Lass, Calorie Queen, any of the Subs, any of the old-school Academy kids, the Heroes of Lallor or any of the existing reservists come back before getting any new members again so soon though...Glorith hasn't even been on an actual mission yet, has she? Let the new kids settle in a bit before we get newer new kids to steal their thunder [Razz]

I agree 100%!

--------------------
read the adventures of the Reboot Legion!

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001232

From: dorchester, MA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
There may not be many people who'll agree with me but I really like this idea. I reckon that with the title being called Legion there should be more members. Okay so I'd love to see Gear, Monstress, Thunder, the Quantum Kids, Amp Girl, Babbage be included to some degree as a nod to previous incarnations. but hey Ho, you'll not hear me complain about new members. be nice if Nightwind, Lamprey, Mandalla, Gravity Kid and Jed were seen as a sub-group, Legion Takron Galtos.

Anyway, yay new members!

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't have a problem with new members per se, in fact I enjoy seeing new faces.

My issue is that new members always replace someone else. There is a perceived need to keep the membership down to mid twenties, so each incoming member sees someone's favourite written out.

The number of ex-Legionnaires (including the Lost) is well into double figures. Add the Subs, Lallorians etc and we could easily have a Legion of 50 - 60 members. Now that would be a challenge to the creative team.

--------------------
"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
I wonder if a format like the JLU cartoon back then would work. Using a different group per episode allowed the creators to juggle dozens of heroes. Granted, the large majority only had 1-2 spotlighted episodes... and Levitz would be forced to compress his storylines.

And even with the current team size, there are already several members who have had little screen time.

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
quote:

Otaki (Oh-TA-kee) is most likely of Japanese decent. If I know my Levitz, she'll be of Earth, with powers gestated from the long-term affects of the Fukishima disaster.

What are the odds that her codename has the word "sun" in it? [Wink]
Or "light"? [Razz]

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.