Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion Lost #12 Preview (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Legion Lost #12 Preview
Korbal
The Lightning World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korbal   Email Korbal         Edit/Delete Post     
From Comic Book.com:

http://comicbook.com/blog/2012/08/04/dc-comics-exclusive-preview-legion-lost-12/

--------------------
"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63

Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
That was fast. Didn't expect Alastor to change so soon!

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Pete Woods' art is great but God do I hate the way he draws Tellus' legs. This book is 12 issues in now. How has an editor not given him a reference as to how this character is supposed to look by now?
From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
Pete Woods' art is great but God do I hate the way he draws Tellus' legs. This book is 12 issues in now. How has an editor not given him a reference as to how this character is supposed to look by now?

I am with you Blacula....it doesn't really bother me if artists take liberties with costumes/hairstyles etc, but changing the actual anatomy of a character is just plain annoying; especially given that he acknowledged that he was drawing him incorrectly on facebook months ago so it isn't like he can even say he doesn't know...

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
My biggest problem with this book is the Metamerican and the Metamarines. Giving them artificial powers and dressing them up as an alarmed response to the sudden presence of super-heroes doesn't change the fact that the government vs. heroes thing has been done to death.

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Not to mention the "misunderstandings lead to battles between two groups" cliche. Ah well...

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
Not to mention the "misunderstandings lead to battles between two groups" cliche. Ah well...

...and the whole Legionnaires trapped in the 21st century thing, for that matter.

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leather Wolf
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leather Wolf   Email Leather Wolf         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not sure what to make of this issue. DeFalco wrapped up too many story lines rather abruptly. Things felt rushed to try to provide a fake feel good moment at the end of the issue. Even all the secrets got shelved after being hinted at. I hope next issue with Timber Wolf's spotlight moves the story along better. Right now I feel more lost in this comic than our lost Legionnaires seem to. I just wish I had a feeling where DeFalco we taking us. I care for all of these characters, in fact some are my favorite Legionnaires, but with this story arc ending, I feel like I lost my sense of direction and the road map that I thought I'd discovered last issue. Please make issue #0 and it's Timber Wolf spotlight a good read. That's all I ask...
From: South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I just ask that Woods remove that ugly, gaping '
neckline' from Dawnstar's costume.
HATE it!
[Frown]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
Blacula:

quote:
How has an editor not given him a reference as to how this character is supposed to look by now?
The problem goes back to any appearance of the character since the end of Legion of 3 Worlds. So if the artist's reference is recent, it'll perpetuate the problem.

Unfortunately, the human(oid) form is just too deeply ingrained in comic artists' training that it's hard for them to render a being that's truly alien. Even the Green Lantern Corps has this problem. There's a natural human tendency to anthromorphize things - that's why it's so easy to draw animal toons as partly human.

Unfortunately, the character of Tellus suffers as a result. I do hope that they can fix the problem, but given the overall disregard for comics past at DC editorial, I'm not holding my breath inside my methane helmet.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chaim Mattis Keller:
Blacula:

quote:
How has an editor not given him a reference as to how this character is supposed to look by now?
The problem goes back to any appearance of the character since the end of Legion of 3 Worlds. So if the artist's reference is recent, it'll perpetuate the problem.

Unfortunately, the human(oid) form is just too deeply ingrained in comic artists' training that it's hard for them to render a being that's truly alien. Even the Green Lantern Corps has this problem. There's a natural human tendency to anthromorphize things - that's why it's so easy to draw animal toons as partly human.

Unfortunately, the character of Tellus suffers as a result. I do hope that they can fix the problem, but given the overall disregard for comics past at DC editorial, I'm not holding my breath inside my methane helmet.

Tellus has been projecting different looks all book long. The writers have an easy enough out. Tellus can call it an experiment in fashion sense that has run its course. boom, done or any other number of similar scenarios. Funnier (IMO) would be if one of the others called him out, "Tellus, what's up with the legs? Stop it."
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
While I doubt anyone at DC has put this much thought into it, just progressively drawing him as more and more humanoid, it's entirely possible that Hyrkraians naturally adapt over months and years in different environmental zones of their own gas giant homeworld, and that Tellus's tail shrinking and legs growing is, for his species, an entirely natural adaptation to living on a surface world.

Alternately, it is the 31st century, and it's also possible that a few shots over the course of a couple of months, or years, could allow *any* human or alien to physically be 'geneformed' to a new adaptative physiology, depending on the new climate / environment they intend to inhabit, so that a human moving to a water world could take some 'pro-fish' shots and become amphibious or whatever.

If the writers *wanted* to, they could explain Tellus' changes easily enough, but I think it's pretty obvious they just don't care for the way the character was designed and have decided to change him under the assumption that we wouldn't notice or something.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
Set:

quote:
but I think it's pretty obvious they just don't care for the way the character was designed and have decided to change him under the assumption that we wouldn't notice or something.
I honestly doubt it's anything that thoughtful. I think the artist just sees that Tellus has two forelimbs and two hind-limbs, and instinctively draws the forelimbs as humanoid hands with opposable thumbs. I suspect that the artists were simply never corrected about Tellus's proper morphology, because he's such a minor character (to DC Editorial) that, who cares?

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmeraldEmperor
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmperor           Edit/Delete Post     
Where is this series going? I don't know, and it doesn't feel like the creative team does either.

However....if DC can create something epic out of this whole Echo thing, it could be good. Is it possible that the Time Trapper is involved in all this? It might explain why criminals seem to be pretty easily sent back to the 21st century, but the Legion can't seem to break the time barrier anymore.

From: Southern Oklahoma | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
While I doubt anyone at DC has put this much thought into it, just progressively drawing him as more and more humanoid, it's entirely possible that Hyrkraians naturally adapt over months and years in different environmental zones of their own gas giant homeworld, and that Tellus's tail shrinking and legs growing is, for his species, an entirely natural adaptation to living on a surface world.

Alternately, it is the 31st century, and it's also possible that a few shots over the course of a couple of months, or years, could allow *any* human or alien to physically be 'geneformed' to a new adaptative physiology, depending on the new climate / environment they intend to inhabit, so that a human moving to a water world could take some 'pro-fish' shots and become amphibious or whatever.

If the writers *wanted* to, they could explain Tellus' changes easily enough, but I think it's pretty obvious they just don't care for the way the character was designed and have decided to change him under the assumption that we wouldn't notice or something.

They could've just said they changed it on purpose with the new boot. easy out.
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.