Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Cary Bates/Mike Grell Legion (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Cary Bates/Mike Grell Legion
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Rob-Em: This would be an interesting way to handle the Time Trapper. It's a vendetta for him because he keeps losing and rebooting time to get another crack at the Legion, but it's always a first encounter for the Legion. And tney can't figure out why the guy hates them so much.
Heh, that would be crazy cool.

Time Trapper "This will be our final battlefield! You have foiled me for the last time! Die!"

Dream Girl "Who is this jerk?"

Time Trapper "You don't even remember me, do you? Now I'm really mad!"

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malvolio
Devil's Advocate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malvolio   Email Malvolio         Edit/Delete Post     
I remember Per Degaton facing a similar frustration in some of his encounters with the JSA and All-Star Squadron. It's kind of the nature of the beast with time travel. If they literally undo your plans, then no one will remember you.

--------------------
Watching television is not an activity.

From: Freeville, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Wolf Legionnaire:
Does anyone know what Cary Bates is currently doing for a living, I would have loved if he were the one who replaced Fabian Nicieza on Legion Lost, no disrespect to Tom DeFalco it's just Cary's history with the Legion, That and his part in co-creating Wildfire and Tyroc!

Bates still writes. Wikipedia lists his recent activities.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Director Lad
aka Sudro Brown II

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Director Lad   Email Director Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
Time Trapper, yeah, there's no excuse for a time manipulator on his scale to ever lose. He can look ahead and never be surprised by any tactic, and counter it before even Brainiac 5 has thought of it, and if he ever *does* lose, he can call a time-out and retcon his loss into a victory. He's pretty much unbeatable, or, should be.

I always had the impression that the Time Trapper did have limits on his power. He couldn't create realities at will; he had to very carefully nudge one piece here and there to create his desired outcome. And time has generally been depicted as linear even for the time travelers in LSH. Even the Time Trapper seems unable to go back on his own timeline at will. Basically, it seems to me that the fact that he never did what Set describes tells me that he probably can't.
From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
But if he can pick one moment out of the past and create a whole pocket universe with it, and shape its history, what can't he do?

But more importantly, even if he could only do that, why can't he be happy with one universe shaped as he likes it?

[ September 17, 2012, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: Shining Son ]

From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
One explanation could be that he has the ability to manipulate time at will, but not even he (or she, let's be gender-fair [Razz] ) can anticipate all the possible changes that will result because of altering one moment in the past. Therefore, the Trapper might wisely have decided to be more careful and not mess up with the past too much.

Still doesn't explain why he can't always win a fight. Maybe if the fight takes place in linear time (e.g. 31st century), then there are too many variables. But if on the Trapper's own home turf (like in the Conspiracy story), the Trapper doesn't have to worry about any of that.

Then again, if the Trapper embodies the theory that all things must end anyway, why should he/she care if history is changed? All life will end anyway, who cares how it happens?

Okay, I've gone and talked myself into circles and made my brain explode!

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.