Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion of Super-Heroes #13 Preview/Eventual Discussion (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Legion of Super-Heroes #13 Preview/Eventual Discussion
Jay Kay
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Kay   Email Jay Kay         Edit/Delete Post     
Honestly, I'm kinda hoping that Giffen will draw the arc he's doing with Levitz. I mean, yeah, he's basically only doing a Kirby pastiche at this point, but it's damn good Kirby pastiche. [Big Grin]
From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kay:
Honestly, I'm kinda hoping that Giffen will draw the arc he's doing with Levitz. I mean, yeah, he's basically only doing a Kirby pastiche at this point, but it's damn good Kirby pastiche. [Big Grin]

If it's anything like the Annual he did awhile back with Vi and Ayla and the Emerald Empress, I could dig it. That was a neat style.
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Kay
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Kay   Email Jay Kay         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
quote:

If it's anything like the Annual he did awhile back with Vi and Ayla and the Emerald Empress, I could dig it. That was a neat style.
Yeah, I forgot he did that--I was more thinking of what he was recently doing in OMAC:
 -

From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
sweet!
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
One thing I really liked about this issue was that you could feel how much Jan disliked pirates without his coming out and saying "Hey, my entire planet was murdered by pirates", which I thought was pretty sweet writing.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmeraldEmperor
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmperor           Edit/Delete Post     
Great seeing Chuck and Luorna again this issue. Lu's reaction to Brainy was right on, and I loved her interaction with Dream Girl. I wonder which females on the team like Nura?
From: Southern Oklahoma | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by EmeraldEmperor:
Great seeing Chuck and Luorna again this issue. Lu's reaction to Brainy was right on, and I loved her interaction with Dream Girl. I wonder which females on the team like Nura?

Many of the Legion ladies (Imra, Jeckie, Dawny, Nura, all 'alpha females' in their own way) don't really seem to have any friendships with each other, and the only two who do, Tinya and Shady, are treated to the strange double standard that female friends are somehow 'catty' or 'cliquish,' while male friends, like Thom and Dirk, or Brin and Blok, escape such negative stereotypes.
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
I have mixed feelings about this issue. I really liked all the charactisation - even Hadru - who having gotten used to be the big fish at the academy is showing how out of his depth he suddenly feels. This is something I've seen with students who have moved to London after being something special in their hometowns and they are shocked by how much they still have to learn. Good to see him start to bite back against Rokk too. Jan was spot on. Wonder if Rokk will take Hadru's admitting he wasn't fully trained up in basics with Lydda?

Not sure if I'm entirely happy with the Comet Queen subplot - surely Brainy could have drafted in Imra or Aven or one of the displaced Titanians? Well, fingers crossed this isn't a subplot that Paul will drag out ad infinitum.

Both Lu and Nura came across as bitches imo. Not that that is a bad thing, just a bit harsher than I expected. Funny how defensive Nura is of Brainy, understandable given that they are both seen as potentially weak Legionnaires as their abilities are cerebral.

Now can we have Ayla, Vi, Shady, Jacques and Tinya get a bit of panel time. I'm over Lu and Chuck already - they can get shipped back to the Academy and do their thing there and make space for the many characters who they are starving of panel space. Sorry, I'm not a huge fan of them despite their handling of the Dominators in 12.

The pirates were fun - about time we saw some Braalians trying to make something of themselves - given that Braal has been shown as a poor downtrodden planet in every 'boot it's a wonder that this hasn't come up before. Potentially their natural abilities could make them invaluable to the UP, so if they aren't being utilised it's no surprise that some of them turn to piracy. Wonder if the woman with the great hair is called Frake?

I really like the grouping of Cham, Jo and Glorith, hope we see a bit more of them together.

The art was far too Dikto-ish for my taste, blocky and awkward looking. It may grow on me but given how spoiled we have been in the last few years with phenomenal artists it's no wonder I'm not really appreciating it.

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Not only is Hadru finding himself in a pond the size of Lake Superior now, but he's finding that knowing how to use a chemistry based power requires some knowledge about the science.
And it's one heck of a complicated science!

I don't appreciate Scott Kolins as much as I should, I guess.
I'd pay an extra dollar a book for Jimenez or Coipel or Kitson.
sigh

[ October 26, 2012, 01:50 AM: Message edited by: Candlelight ]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korbal
The Lightning World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korbal   Email Korbal         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Man From Cargg:
quote:

Anyway--is it just me, or was Dream Girl implying that Duplicate Damsel has a thing for Brainy? O_O

I assumed that Nura was referring to Brainy being indirectly responsible for the death of Lu's first body by his invention, Computo. If that story line is still history that is.
Well, it would probably explain why she's openly hostile towards Brainy, but that wouldn't explain why Nura would say that Lu's feelings towards Brainy are "conflicted."
Other than their pseudo-flirtation during "The Revolt of the Girl Legionnaires," Brainy and Lu have been shown to be quite close, such as when he consoled her when she "lost" her powers before her wedding, or the touching scene where he left her his force shield belt.

Don't see the point of Paul foisting Tharok into Brainy's spotlight story if he the UP supposedly "executed" the cyborg genius--he must have survived somehow, and is still the top prospect for the person controlling Comet Queen...

--------------------
"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63

Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Harbinger:

Now can we have Ayla, Vi, Shady, Jacques and Tinya get a bit of panel time. I'm over Lu and Chuck already - they can get shipped back to the Academy and do their thing there and make space for the many characters who they are starving of panel space.

Agreed. Ditto Lydda, Mysa, Blok, Tenzil, Quislet

quote:
Originally posted by Harbinger:

The pirates were fun - about time we saw some Braalians trying to make something of themselves - given that Braal has been shown as a poor downtrodden planet in every 'boot it's a wonder that this hasn't come up before. Potentially their natural abilities could make them invaluable to the UP, so if they aren't being utilised it's no surprise that some of them turn to piracy.

We have seen Braalians a few times - in the Science Police and at Metropolis Spaceport as well as criminals, but by and large there should be more Braalians, Imkians, Talokians etc seen rather than just sentients from random planets

--------------------
"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
^^I thought that was a nice allusion to the the rest of the girl Legionnaires' hating Nura in her first story.

Choice quote from Lu: "I feel sorry for any Legionnaire who has to work with her."

But that was a LONG time ago and Lu was only reacting to Nura pretending to be a snob in order to further her plan to save them. Nura's certainly more than proved herself since then.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Read it yesterday, most definitely had the feel of classic Levitz to it. It seems like LSH is finally starting to get back on track but sales are in the fourth-dimensional crapper... [Frown]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
Fingers, toes and eyes crossed (which does make typing rather difficult) that with Giffen coming back the storylines will attract more readers. If the book gets cancelled it would be an absolute heartbreaking travesty.

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leather Wolf
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leather Wolf   Email Leather Wolf         Edit/Delete Post     
I can't imagine DC would cancel this title with Levitz at the helm.
From: South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.