Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Someday, Levitz will leave... (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Someday, Levitz will leave...
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2010/12/07/top-50-comic-book-writers-master-list/

So far the Legion has had, 10, 12, 20, 21, 27,
29, 35, 40, 52, 56, 57, 79, 99, 100, 107, 123.

[ November 28, 2012, 01:34 AM: Message edited by: Lone Wolf Legionnaire ]

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jesjos
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jesjos   Email jesjos         Edit/Delete Post     
For what it's worth...

At some point, (probably not too far off in the distance,) another reboot will be foisted on everyone. It'll probably be the norm from now on. There will always be a need to drag in new readers as the old ones will age and may decide to stop spending their money on comics. There's always noise about starting off fresh
because all the baggage of an over sized cast of characters within a single book may deter new readers. Also, they spout off stuff about how everything's gotten so complicated and things need to be simplified.

When I was a kid, I was drawn to the Legion because it was about a group of diverse, specially/uniquely powered, young people unified for a common cause. (AND!!!) It took place in the ***FUTURE!!!!*** Most of the villains seemed two-dimensional to me. Character driven stories were my favorites. It was great to see the various characters interacting with each other, given their different backgrounds. Maintaining
professionalism, demonstrations of loyalty, comraderie and a dedication to the cause, even when there was friction or personal difficulties. Also enjoyed the introduction of new species/planets. Although it was
frustrating as well because so many of them were interesting and I would often want to see more of them. Let's not forget the Sci-Fi elements. All of this in one book! Something for everyone.

Maybe this formula just doesn't work anymore, or maybe it's been worked to death. Over the years, there's been noise about how the series deters the talent, as well. It was exciting when I heard the series was going to be animated. Of course, I wondered how it would be received. If the fans of the comic weren't as unified as the characters in the comic were, why would it be any different with the animated series? It was surprising to find that most of what I read, as far as fan response was concerned, was mostly positive. It didn't last anyway, but different things come into play within that venue.

So basically...

If it were my Comic Book Company...If it were my property...If I was ***God...***

(Aside from regulating company-wide-reboots to once every 50 years,) I'd give the Legion a rest. At least for a couple of years. I've posted elsewhere that a title dedicated to fleshing out reality in the 31st Century would be a cool move. (Personally, I like the sound of "Adventure(s)...in the 31st Century!")
Doesn't have to be "Legion," but a lot of characters introduced in the Legion title(s) that are not Legionnaires could be used. New concepts could be explored. Maybe the existence of other (differently motivated,) groups could be discovered/introduced. Politically driven stories; More Sci-Fi; Villain Character development; Societal Issues explored: More Magic; More exploration; Love & Sex, etc.

If the Future isn't enough of a draw, than I say, (seemingly,) Kill off Kara in the next cataclysmic company-wide crossover coup. (Wiping Mouth.) Transplant her to the future, permanently. Again, it doesn't have to be Legion, (the Universe is HUGE, getting HUGER everyday, I hear,) but Legion fans would be drawn to the title. Legionnaires could appear, in solo, (or solo+,) stories that aren't "Legion" stories. Or a trio of Legionnaires could make an incidental cameo appearance every now and then. Whetting the appetite for a Legion title whenever it returns. Historically speaking, I'm stuck on the 5YL stories. The Bierbaums drew
on a lot of the already existent history. They took obscure characters and reintroduced/revitalized them. They were able to juggle all these characters. They gave a *Fine Read.* (Sigh) I know this version has a lot of non-fans. (Sigh.) They're probably not available anyway.

If the *Powers* want to attract younger readers, they might want to think about *Younger* talent. I don't know how the industry works. A couple of young apprentices working under a seasoned writer/creator with a healthy exchange of ideas/concepts/directions being thrown around. Good, productive brainstorming, "keeping it fresh." Not that I'm going to change my position and shell out cash for something I'm no longer excited about. I just hope someone gets it right at some point. It was a really nice diversion for me when I was young in the seventies. The future was a lot more exciting back then. (Sigh...)

From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I think one of the major draws for me about the classic Legion tales, and something I wish could remain / return, is that they portrayed a future that I would want to live in.

No Blights, no arbitrary planets exploding just for the shock value, no millions of throwaway casualties, no universes unraveling, no ripped-from-the-headlines race-supremacist xenophobic immigrant nonsense.

Yes, bad things can happen. Heroes can die. Daxam can get reshaped into a big bust of Darkseid's head. But things can get better, too, not just worse and grim and soul-wearyingly futile.

That's very much rowing against the tide, these days, when *all* comics seem to be about how much damage they can inflict 'deconstructing' the heroes, the setting, even the entire *concept* of heroism or nobility or 'goodness.'

'Boy scouts' are unrealistic? So what? I'm reading a story about aliens with super-powers that use technology that utterly scoffs at the laws of physics. Them being *heroes* (and the setting they operate in not being filled with brutality and nihilism) is the least of the disbelief I have to suspend!

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Conjure Lass
And then there was steak!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Conjure Lass   Email Conjure Lass         Edit/Delete Post     
I'll throw my vote in with Diggle, though I really like the idea of giving it to Johns. For whatever reason, when I read through his run of the Legion, I really enjoyed it.

The Legion just needs someone fresh. This run is, to be blunt, boring. And that is ridiculous is a series set a thousand years from now where the technology alone could be so wildly imaginative and exciting that it could carry the series! Why do we have to have the same villains we've had for thirty years? Can't anyone come up with someone new?

To be fair, I didn't grow up on Levitz. I wasn't around to see the glory days of his run and so I have absolutely no sentimental attachment to him as a writer. None. And, to be frank, if I was a new comic fan and picked up this series right now? I'd never buy it. No way! It's boring!

Sorry for the tirade here, but I've been needing to get that off my chest. XD

From: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Conjure Lass
And then there was steak!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Conjure Lass   Email Conjure Lass         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:

'Boy scouts' are unrealistic? So what? I'm reading a story about aliens with super-powers that use technology that utterly scoffs at the laws of physics. Them being *heroes* (and the setting they operate in not being filled with brutality and nihilism) is the least of the disbelief I have to suspend!

This. This all over the place. What I love about the Legion most of all is that it's GOOD. These people are GOOD. The future is GOOD. I'm not saying I want a perfect Candyland, but I want it to be...well...a little brighter than the world I live in.

Not that I didn't enjoy the darker stories. The Blight storylines were extremely well-written and I really enjoyed them. But even in that story there was a "happy" ending. There was hope at the end.

I would NOT want to live in the Threeboot future. And that is, at it's core, probably why I don't like that run of the series.

...well...other than it KILLED MY LEGION. *ahem* But that's just me being bitter...XD

From: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Kayak
Italian Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Kayak   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lady:
...so who should replace him?

I'd be happy to see any new writer who had never written the legion before.

That said, I dream of a Legion book done by Orson Scott Card. I know it will never happen, but whatever, it'd be awesome.

--------------------
Ciao a tutti,
FABIO

http://www.nottolone.net/legione/

From: Milan, Italy | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I think I'd support a new writer, too. But not Card. I know he largely keeps his homophobia out of his fiction writing, but after reading some of his comments, I wouldn't be able to get them out of my head.

Jonathan Hickman and Scott Lobdell have both stated that they'd like to write the Legion at some point. One, I'd love. One, less so. Exhibit A= Johnny Storm's return from death after death after death in the Negative Zone. Exhibit B= New 52 Omen/Lilith Clay.

Guess which gets the love and which gets the hate.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Kay
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Kay   Email Jay Kay         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Conjure Lass:
quote:
Originally posted by Set:

This. This all over the place. What I love about the Legion most of all is that it's GOOD. These people are GOOD. The future is GOOD. I'm not saying I want a perfect Candyland, but I want it to be...well...a little brighter than the world I live in.

Not that I didn't enjoy the darker stories. The Blight storylines were extremely well-written and I really enjoyed them. But even in that story there was a "happy" ending. There was hope at the end.

I would NOT want to live in the Threeboot future. And that is, at it's core, probably why I don't like that run of the series.

...well...other than it KILLED MY LEGION. *ahem* But that's just me being bitter...XD

First with the Threeboot: I think the point of that was that the Legion was supposed to change the world, to be a future we would want it to be. That Legion was one that wasn't just a superhero team, but a political/societal revolution.

But anyway.

I get what you mean with that. My personal favorite future-based sci-fi comic is, to be honest, Transmetropolitan. At one point had this great monologue by it's lead, saying basically, "The future is inherently a good thing." No matter how dark and hopeless things might seem, there's always SOMETHING, somewhere, to hold onto for hope. That's my feeling, anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
I think I'd support a new writer, too. But not Card. I know he largely keeps his homophobia out of his fiction writing, but after reading some of his comments, I wouldn't be able to get them out of my head.

Jonathan Hickman and Scott Lobdell have both stated that they'd like to write the Legion at some point. One, I'd love. One, less so. Exhibit A= Johnny Storm's return from death after death after death in the Negative Zone. Exhibit B= New 52 Omen/Lilith Clay.

Guess which gets the love and which gets the hate.

To be fair to Lobdell, his run on Red Hood & The Outlaws and his start on Superman has been AMAZING so far, and I honestly do enjoy his take on Teen Titans.

And speaking of Hickman and the Legion--Hickman posted this on his Twitter recently. Does that line-up page remind you of something? A certain monitor board, perhaps?

-

From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Is Hickman the guy writing the new LEGION-sized Avengers title (rumored to have 18+ memebrs)?

I'm looking forward to that. I like as many characters as they can throw at me, alongide the obvious ones you *know* are going to be there.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah- and he's the guy who created the Future Foundation and brought in the moloid kids, Bently, Dragon Man, etc. to populate it.

He also wrote the secret historyish SHIELD book.

I think the membership's going to be around 24 fairly quickly. Or, at least there's 6 more characters being thrown in the mix. Doesn't mean all of the original 18 stick around, I suppose. The scope suggested would seem to indicate that most of them *would* however.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kay:
[QB] To be fair to Lobdell, his run on Red Hood & The Outlaws and his start on Superman has been AMAZING so far, and I honestly do enjoy his take on Teen Titans.

I'm behind on SUPERMAN and TEEN TITANS has it's good points, like the new characters. But I don't want anyone who would turn Lilith Clay into the thing she is now in the new 52 anywhere near the Legion. Sorry.
Jay Kay
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Kay   Email Jay Kay         Edit/Delete Post     
Honestly, I'm not even sure who Lilith Clay is.
From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Sounds like I need to remember this Hickman fella... he's had some good ideas!!

Jay... Lilith was a groovy psychic go-go-dancing member of the Teen Titans back in the late 60s/70s! In the new 52, she's pretty much a monster (although her path in the pre-52 DCU got pretty freaky at times in the hands of writers who wanted to turn a simple, fun concept into something ridiculously awful.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Pardon my tangent, but:

"Smasher"? "Hyperion"??? As in the Imperial Guard and Squadron Supreme??? Not sure how I feel about that. The SS should NOT be on regular Marvel earth... and the Guardsmen should be in the Shi'ar Galaxy or whatever.

--------------------

razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Pardon my tangent, but:

"Smasher"? "Hyperion"??? As in the Imperial Guard and Squadron Supreme??? Not sure how I feel about that. The SS should NOT be on regular Marvel earth... and the Guardsmen should be in the Shi'ar Galaxy or whatever.

I have strong feelings also about how Marvel is diluting concepts of its core groups by just throwing in any mishmash of characters they want, but I guess that is a tangent so will leave it there (spoiler: I DON'T LIKE IT!)

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.