Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Someday, Levitz will leave... (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Someday, Levitz will leave...
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by razsolo: I have strong feelings also about how Marvel is diluting concepts of its core groups by just throwing in any mishmash of characters they want, but I guess that is a tangent so will leave it there (spoiler: I DON'T LIKE IT!)
[tangent] Thanks be to Marvel's nigh-bankruptcy awhile back that they can't pull this crap with the movies. Spider-Man, Wolverine, the Thing, etc. *can't* be in Avengers movies, since they have to get the X-Men/Spider-Man/Fantastic Four movie rights back first! [/tangent]
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm pretty sure I read that Smasher's supposed to be an Earth woman who winds up as an Imperial Guardsman, which should be fun to see how that comes about, then an Avenger.

Aren't there like half a dozen Hyperions to choose from?

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
I get the impression that editorial mandates have indeed ravaged (ha, ravaged, get it?) Legion Lost, and contributed mightily to it's failure to thrive, but, since the Sodam Yat / Earth Man / Legion Green Lantern thing got wrapped up and buried in the memory vault, I don't feel like editorial mandates have really had anything to do with Paul's direction on the Legion of Super-Heroes title itself.

Was getting rid of the Fatal Five's history solely Paul's decision, or might there have been some DC influence to reset some of the history for the new 52?
Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Kay
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Kay   Email Jay Kay         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by razsolo:
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Pardon my tangent, but:

"Smasher"? "Hyperion"??? As in the Imperial Guard and Squadron Supreme??? Not sure how I feel about that. The SS should NOT be on regular Marvel earth... and the Guardsmen should be in the Shi'ar Galaxy or whatever.

I have strong feelings also about how Marvel is diluting concepts of its core groups by just throwing in any mishmash of characters they want, but I guess that is a tangent so will leave it there (spoiler: I DON'T LIKE IT!)
Hey, there was a time when people thought that characters like Wolverine, Spider-Man, Luke Cage and Spider-Woman could never be Avengers, but here we are, years later and I'm genuinely bummed out that Luke is leaving the team and Hickman isn't going to be writing him in his Avengers.

But I digress.

From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
I feel that Levitz writing has been getting better but I haven't been enthusiastic about it yet (the last time I was enthusiastic about a LSH run was the TMK or 5YL era). It might have been better if they had rebooted the Legion with the rest of the DC universe for the New 52, although it appears that they may have been retroactively rebooted anyway. I'd pick Tom & Mary Bierbaum for next writer.

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
I dunno, I still think that Wolvie shouldn't be an Avenger...I am on the fence about Spidey (though I definitely don't agree with him being in the FF!)....Luke Cage is one of those characters I think who will be always tied to Bendis as a writer; I'd be surprised if we see him have another long stretch as a member, let alone leader....and has Jessica Drew actually done anything of note since joining the team except lessen Julia Carpenter's already slim chances of ever coming back? The Avengers already have a huge potential roster to draw from, I think Marvel needs to relax a bit with making every man and his dog an Avenger for 15 minutes...

To the original question: I would actually be interested in seeing Alan Davis write the Legion. His Excalibur stories showed that he can do long-term plotting, juggle lots of characters & subplots simultaneously, and he has that core optimism and brightness that I think the Legion should embody [Smile]

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
^^Not to mention the fact that Davis and Farmer's Superboy's Legion is still my favorite Legion story published since the year 2000!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
For those of you not "feeling" Levitz' current LSH run-- and I number among you more often than not-- I recommend WORLDS' FINEST. It's obvious there he is having a REALLY GOOD time.

Mr. Levitz wrote the bulk of the relaunched JSA's adventures in the 1970s, including most of Power Girl's earliest appearances, and is the (writing, not artistic-- because both count) creator of The Huntress. One can tell he is having a great deal of fun re-establishing the PeeGee/Huntress friendship after the CRISIS eradicated it.

He can still write fun stories solo as is evidenced in WF. I'm looking forward to his re-teaming with an old, wildly creative pal for the LSH... we'll see how that goes.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Agreed that PL's WF is much better than his current Legion!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Lash, Hickman is awesome. I've been loving everything he's touched.

(Some other LWers might not feel as strongly but those hooligans have probably been toking with Mayavale)

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
For those of you not "feeling" Levitz' current LSH run-- and I number among you more often than not-- I recommend WORLDS' FINEST. It's obvious there he is having a REALLY GOOD time.

Mr. Levitz wrote the bulk of the relaunched JSA's adventures in the 1970s, including most of Power Girl's earliest appearances, and is the (writing, not artistic-- because both count) creator of The Huntress. One can tell he is having a great deal of fun re-establishing the PeeGee/Huntress friendship after the CRISIS eradicated it.

He can still write fun stories solo as is evidenced in WF. I'm looking forward to his re-teaming with an old, wildly creative pal for the LSH... we'll see how that goes.

I whole heartedly agree about World's Finest, that's the book that I look most forward to every month.

I've said this before but I think that as a creative team Paul Levitz & Keith Giffen are greater than the sum of the parts. I'm also looking forward to this.

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Kay
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Kay   Email Jay Kay         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

I think the plots of the individual stories have been a little "eh," but the characterization definitely helps make up for it (not to mention the great Maguire and solid Perez art), though the current arc with Damian has potential.

I just think it would work more if we have more of a solid idea of where the book is going--a villain working behind the scenes that they have to thwart, or something.

From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I assume the whole "trying to get back home" aspect of WF will eventually set up the inevitable Earth-2/Main DCnU crossover.

I'm kind of hoping the setting eventually shifts to E-2.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Me too. I always kind-of assumed the two ladies would find their way back home after the first big between-Earths crossover. I hope they do.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
^^Not to mention the fact that Davis and Farmer's Superboy's Legion is still my favorite Legion story published since the year 2000!

Oh yes.

Davis draws his young heroes out of equal parts enthusiasm and innocence. I love it, and it makes it feel more potent when he does something dramatic (like kill Gim), as their anguish feels so much more real than it does in a grimmer comic, where everyone is a world-wearied jaded badass and stuff.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.