Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Preview Legion Lost #15 (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Preview Legion Lost #15
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
In dotREBELS, a Wildfire/Dawnstar powered character has already been created, Wildstar.
And in the postboot Legion, Wildfire was created by combining the 'souls' and powers of two heroes who were killed by, Mordru, I think, Blast Off and Radion.

I don't know if those examples make something like the combination of Dawny and Drake more or less probable.
[shrug]

There are two examples of him, or a version of him, existing for ubber lengths of time without a suit, the DnA LOST arc and the 1,000,000 year special.
So, being without his suit might be isolating and not much fun, but it won't kill him.
Unless, of course, DC drastically changes him in this boot.
Again, [shrug]

In pre-Zero Hour, Giffin drew Drake and Dawnstar in an intimate moment with multiple hand prints burned on her body.
Drake flipped out about it and left her, even though she asked him to stay.

Those things being said, I still like your idea of the two combining, especially if it's longterm.
Like, what would he do if she fell in love with someone and had a family?

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candlelight: There are two examples of him, or a version of him, existing for ubber lengths of time without a suit, the DnA LOST arc and the 1,000,000 year special.
I remember the 1,000,000 special in particular, since he's pretty much the only Legionnaire that was likely to live that long.

quote:
In pre-Zero Hour, Giffin drew Drake and Dawnstar in an intimate moment with multiple hand prints burned on her body.
Drake flipped out about it and left her, even though she asked him to stay.

I never liked that bit, because Dawny's body is immune to various environmental effects, including the friction burns of travelling at incredible speeds in-atmosphere, and the brutal temperatures, radiation and pressure differentials of outer space. *If* Drake was capable of forming an energy body that wasn't destructive enough to destroy the atmosphere of whatever planet he was on (which he apparently was), Dawny shouldn't have been burned by contact with it.

Indeed, when out of suit, Drake's energy is harmless to *everyone,* so it should be doubleplusharmless to Dawny!

But that's Giffen for ya. The same guy who decided that Polar Boy, a character that for years dressed in a fur-trimmed parka, because earth's temperature was freezing cold to Tharrans, would then decide to take his fur-trimmed hat off and wear a block of *ice* on his head.

It's like he doesn't even think about this stuff.

"Fire Lad has fire for hair, why not have Polar Boy have ice for hair! And, Stone Boy can have rock-hair, and Chlorophyll Kid can have plant-hair, and Night Girl can have... uh, night-hair! Aren't I terribly clever!"

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I believe both the Drake-burns-Dawny scene and the ice hair were Laroque rather than Giffen.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Somebody
Banner-Man

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Somebody   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candlelight:
In dotREBELS, a Wildfire/Dawnstar powered character has already been created, Wildstar.
And in the postboot Legion, Wildfire was created by combining the 'souls' and powers of two heroes who were killed by, Mordru, I think, Blast Off and Radion.

Blast-Off and Atom'X (although even the writers got Atom'X and Blast-Off mixed up more than once for... some reason.)
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I believe both the Drake-burns-Dawny scene and the ice hair were Laroque rather than Giffen.

Eh, I'm gonna blame it on Giffen anyway. Easier to blame all the stuff I don't like on one guy, than keep track of a whole bunch of folks!

It wouldn't be an irrational dislike if it made sense, after all!

Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Somebody:
quote:

Blast-Off and Atom'X (although even the writers got Atom'X and Blast-Off mixed up more than once for... some reason.)
Actually, IIRC, Atom'x was originally intended to be the reboot Atmos, but when Lee Moder drew him wrong, TPTB found it easier to make him a new character with a similar name than to erase his armpits.
From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
But that's Giffen for ya. The same guy who decided that Polar Boy, a character that for years dressed in a fur-trimmed parka, because earth's temperature was freezing cold to Tharrans, would then decide to take his fur-trimmed hat off and wear a block of *ice* on his head.

It's like he doesn't even think about this stuff.

To be fair, most writers are not well-versed enough in the laws of thermodynamics to get that Polar Boy does not create cold, he absorbs heat. Of course, that's because paying too much attention to that would necessarily prompt the question, how much heat can he absorb before he gives himself a stroke?

The other confusing aspect, for me anyway, is that Tharr is a desert world. IIRC, it's inhabitants developed the power to absorb heat as a way of cooling their environment. But that's kind of like saying, I shall keep from drowning by chugging this bucket of water down my windpipe!

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I didn't know that Polar Boy absorbed heat.
gosh
How does that work?

I always thought that he generated cold, sort of like Iceman; or channeled it, maybe.
Sort of like how the girl in 'Firestarter' by king, channeled heat, only instead of from the sun, like she did, the Tharrians grab cold from outer space.
[shrug]

I'm sorry about the Giffin reference, although that allowed Set to post hilariously, which was fun.
I don't have the issues from that era anymore.
I really thought it was from his last stint before TMK and his drastic change in illustrating style.
sigh

I didn't realize that Wildfire was creating his own 'body' then, either.
I thought it was just his face that he was forming, while the rest of his energy was inside a containment suit.
My memory is a bust.
Or, maybe IN my bust, rather than my brain, anymore.
[Frown]

[ December 16, 2012, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: Candlelight ]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoM
Reboot's backup account

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoM           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
quote:
Originally posted by Somebody:
quote:

Actually, IIRC, Atom'x was originally intended to be the reboot Atmos, but when Lee Moder drew him wrong, TPTB found it easier to make him a new character with a similar name than to erase his armpits.
He was, although more from the lack of mohawk (Atmos cameoed in Legionnaires #0, where the baggy purple suits he, Star Boy & Kid Quantum were wearing didn't show his torso clearly). The name was taken from Tom McCraw's ATOM'C screenname.

McCraw knew he wasn't going to be Atmos, but didn't know he was going to be named after him when he coloured him yellow and pink [Smile] :
quote:
http://www.legionwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=LSHChat:1996-05-30
According to Peyer, the similarity between Atom'x's codename and
Tom McCraw's AOL screen name is not a coincidence. Peyer
switched the name without McCraw's knowledge. McCraw claims that
pink isn't really his color. He jokingly vowed revenge against
Peyer.

http://www.legionwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=LSHChat:1996-06-04
Atom'x--who appeared in LSH #82--was intended to be a preboot
character named Atmos, but a switch was made in production. The
switch was made because Lee Moder drew the character incorrectly.
Tom stresses that the mistake was not Lee's fault. The mistake
was not caught until after the book had been inked, and it was
faster to create a new character rather than redraw the book.

Tom Peyer used the Atom'x name--which is based on Tom McCraw's
screen name--without McCraw's knowledge. McCraw vows revenge,
and promises that the revenge character will wear pink or pastel
purple. Tom did not know that the character would be named after
him when he was coloring the character.

[The above should have said "the writers got Atom'X and Radion mixed up, incidentally.]

quote:
I didn't know that Polar Boy absorbed heat.
gosh
How does that work?

I always thought that he generated cold, sort of like Iceman; or channeled it, maybe.
Sort of like how the girl in 'Firestarter' by king, channeled heat, only instead of from the sun, like she did, the Tharrians grab cold from outer space.

You can't "grab cold". Cold is literally the (relative) absence of heat - which, in turn, is molecular motion (which can be induced by various factors, including infra-red radiation). Either you can cancel out the motion somehow (think of stopping a non-bouncing ball by kicking it with another ball at exactly the same speed in the opposite direction) or you can absorb the heat (catch the ball, which will induce motion in you - more obviously if you think of something more like a bowling bowl than a baseball).

Real-world applications you'll meet invariably use the latter, which is why the back of fridges are hot. The former is known as adiabatic cooling, which slows the particles' momentum in ways that don't involve making other stuff hotter.

[ December 16, 2012, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: SoM ]

--------------------
Backup account for Reboot.

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
For what it's worth, Polar Boy's powers are originally described as using "mental force to neutralize heat vibrations".
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoM
Reboot's backup account

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoM           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, that word "neutralise" would place him squarely in the adiabatic cooling camp, and so would mean he DOESN'T absorb heat as PoFoBo had it.

--------------------
Backup account for Reboot.

Set

In my head-canon, the heat that Tharrians are neutralizing goes somewhere else.

It clearly doesn't go into them (i.e. they aren't absorbing it into themselves) or they'd actually get hotter (which would be counterproductive, since they are making Tharr cooler so that they can live there, which wouldn't work if they had to raise their own temperatures to do so!).

The standard comic book explanation (the one that Marvel uses for everything) is that it goes into another dimension. With Star Boy, DC occasionally has this sort of transfer happen in-universe (Star Boy 'drawing mass from the stars to make stuff heavy'), so perhaps the Tharrans are tranferring the heat directly into their own star, or into the molten heart of Tharr.

I had a fanfic idea that the Tharrans were actually unknowingly responsible for the creation of an entire race of energy/plasma creatures in an adjacent dimension, formed spontaneously from the heat being transferred by the Tharrans from their dimension, with warring members of the energy races crossing over to assassinate specific Tharrans that they'd identified as the 'gods' that were creating their enemies, but never got around to writing it.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.