Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Legion World -- good or bad? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Legion World -- good or bad?
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not talking about these boards -- we all know it fuckin' rocks, I'm talking about the World that RJ Brande set up. How do you feel about it's inclusion into Legion mythos?

Is it a natural extension of the Legion concept? Is it too much -- too big and unwieldy a concept that will never get the space it needs to really explore its possibilities? Is it too far away from the concept of the superhero club and makes the Legion too much of an "Authority" type super entity? Or is it just really damn cool?

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
I would really enjoy Legion World if it were used to its fullest extent.

Right now, it just seems like a large clubhouse. More than the 25 Legionnaires really need.

Maybe if things ever settle down, we could have a tour...

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
I would REALLY love a map of Legion World in issue 25.

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

If they do a Legion Secret Files, that's totally what it should be used for! Let's see how the Legionnaires interact with their home, how its denizens think of the main team -- from support staff to "joe blow" living in the place. Do they love the legion? Do they think of them as stars or glory hounds? Which team members interact more with the common man, which ones are rarely seen and can't be bothered? Does the Legion live in their own sections represented by their homeworld or are they in their own special area? How is this place governed -- is there a president (Brande)? Tons of possibilities, imo.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
I think LW has enormous potential.

OK, so the Legion has been busy since LW *POP*ed into Earth's moon's place. But it's time to explore this a bit more.

Secret Files does seem like a great place for schematics & other info, and maybe a story regarding LW. And I want to see it carried over/integrated into the ongoing title, even if only in small ways. But more than just having Porcupine Pete walking around in a few panels, y'know?

What do you guys think of having text pieces (like TMK) in the ongoing? Administrative memos, emails among LW inhabitants ("famous" or not), work orders, you name it?

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

I think text pieces would be extremely informative in terms out fleshing out the details of Legion World without having to devote page space to it -- and if the background introduced in the text pieces ended up playing into the issues themselves, all the better -- it'd just emphasize that the text pieces are essential reading, not just filler.
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I would love for a new secret files to have the blueprints to Legion World! I geek over all that stuff. I have two copies of the blueprints to the old HQ that was included in the second Mayfair sourcebook for the Legion.

Anyone else think that Legion World is just a way of reintroducing, post-boot, Weber's World? It could serve the same functions.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

The various environments representing the different UP worlds reminds me of a cross between Mosaic and Babylon 5.
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3003:
The various environments representing the different UP worlds reminds me of a cross between Mosaic and Babylon 5.

Never saw much of Babylon 5, although I enjoyed what I did see. But I have to raise my hand and ask what is Mosaic?
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonnie
mere mortal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonnie   Email Sonnie         Edit/Delete Post     
Mosaic? presume you mean the reen Lantern experiment?

I see LW as a good way of stopping Brainy from blowing up metropolis....

I agree with previous posters that it really need fleshing out.

From: home sweet home... unless i'm posting from work | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
It seems a bit unwieldy now, because we haven't seen much detail. Definitely fleshing out time. Maybe a six-part Legion Worlds series on just Legion World. I'll even put that ahead of my call for an LW series on Colu-Robotica.

We never had much info about Weber's World, IIRC.

Definitely add the text pieces. I loved those - you got so much info in one page. Very sorry to see those not continued.

There seems to be a huge staff on Legion World. Do they live there? Who hires them? Who's paying for all this? Who's in charge? Surely not Kid Q? Is it RJ? He doesn't appear to be the administrator - and he's off for the Kwaiverse, unless that storyline gets dropped.
I would really like to see how the staff interacts with the Legionnaires. Are they considered to be part of The Legion, or part of UP administration? So many questions, better make it a 12-parter. At least.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
...We never had much info about Weber's World, IIRC.

Just remember, you asked. [Wink]

From LSH Sourcebook Volume 2: The World Book

quote:
If Earth is the political "heart" of the United Planets, then Weber's World is the circulatory system that keeps its life-blood pumping like clockwork. Weber's World is a man made satellite located in the Trantor system, once described by Brainiac 5 as a "plant-sized portable office building for the UP government".

The artificial planetoid has a diameter of several hundred miles and serves as the center of the UP's bureaucratic activities. There are over a million UP employees stationed here, maintaining and making use of the massive data banks of the planet's central computer system to collect taxes, maintain records of galactic immigration, trade and population demographics and keep track of the progress of dozens of UP programs.

The artificial surface of Weber's World is extremely study and attack resistant, although the satellite suffered substantial external damage when it was attacked by Daxamites. However, the surface withstood the brunt of the assault and greatly limited the amount of damage done to the planetoid's interior and data banks.

Weber's World is capable of independent space flight using powerful built-in warp engines that enable it to attain speeds equivalent to an SP battle cruiser, giving the planetoid the maneuverability to evade potential assault. During her short reign of control over Weber's World, the Emerald Empress attempted to use this capability to turn the planetoid into a world-size weapon, setting it on a collision course with the UP's main fleet base. Only the timely intervention of Supergirl and the Legion prevented a disastrous incident.

The central computer of Weber's World controls the planet's artificial atmosphere, security and fire control systems. The Emerald Empress, with the aid of the traitorous SP officer/Dark Circle double agent Ontiir succeeded in "linking" to the central data banks and actually seized control of those systems for a short period of time. To prevent a recurrence of such infiltration, the UP has recently upgraded the computer's internal security systems and doubled the size of the SP garrison (from 40 to 80 officers). SP armaments include 24 1-man "blitzers" and a full complement of security drones, including a special force of "neutralizer pods".

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Have I got to get that Sourcebook! Even if it is pre-boot, there seems to be a lot of base material there. Wonder if the writers use it or just "start fresh"?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I think they need to get Legion World out of Earth orbit. Surely they can move the moon back where its supposed to be, between Star Boy and all of the 31st century technology. Turn Legion World into a mobile homebase, I say.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Never saw much of Babylon 5, although I enjoyed what I did see. But I have to raise my hand and ask what is Mosaic?

"Mosaic" was a series DC put out featuring Green Lantern John Stewart (the one who's currently in the JLA). The premise was that an insane Guardian of the Universe grabbed chunks of different planets and brought them all together on Oa so that you've have all these alien cultures living side by side with one another. It was mostly a lot of cultural clashes and misunderstandings that had to be sorted out by Green Lantern.

Now I'm sure we definitely won't see those kind of skirmishes in the 31st century Legion World (especially since eveyone speaks interlac), but the jumble of different worlds together reminds me of Mosaic.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.