Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » What's the plural of Dox or El? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What's the plural of Dox or El?
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Doxes? Doxen? Dax?

Els? Ell? Ellis?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Doxii

Elsie

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Ellis?

Would they live in a Warren of Ellis?
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
quote:
Ellis?

Would they live in a Warren of Ellis?
I think they have an island somewhere...
From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
While we're on collectives - what would a collective of Dox (my preference is for "Dox" as both singular & plural)

Would it be a Doxology of Dox?

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
A field of Krinns?

A pandemic of Sephts?

A blizzard of Bannins?

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
A ring of Ardeens? [Saturn Girl]
A bolt of Ranzzes? [Lightning Lad]
A field of Krinns? [Cosmic Boy]
A phaze of Wazzos?
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
After consulting Former UP President & reknowned linguist, Kandru Boltax, I can now offer you his enlightening answer: "A little research reveals some interesting xenolinguistic solutions to the posed question(s).

If one consults Computo's Unabridged Dictionary of Coluuan, one will discover that: "To form the plural of words ending in consonants simply double the letter in question. Hence, Brainiac is singular and Brainiacc is plural."

This being the case, the plural of Dox would be Doxx

As to the second part of this curious question, one can find the answer in the High Commissioner's Authorised & Revised Daxamite Dictionary of the One Language. It reveals the following:

"In Daxamite, plurals of nouns are formed by adding the letter 'z' to the end of the word if the word ends in a vowel. For nouns that end in a consonant, add an 'iz' to create the plural"

A little more research, however, provides us with the definitive answer:

"Surnames of the Great Families of Daxam however do not follow the standard grammatical formula. Rather, they follow ancient usage and are pluralized by adding a 'th' to the surname if it ends in a vowel or an 'ith' if the surname ends in a consonant."

The Great Family of 'El' therefore would be pluralized as 'Elith'

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Varalent, I really appreciate that you took time out from relaxing on the patio at the Villa (I can just imagine the view - Tuscan hills or Mediterranean seaside?) to do that research on what may seem, to some, to be an esoteric quibble of a topic. [Smile]

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

Vee
Still smoooooth!

quote:
Varalent, I really appreciate that you took time out from relaxing on the patio at the Villa (I can just imagine the view - Tuscan hills or Mediterranean seaside?) to do that research on what may seem, to some, to be an esoteric quibble of a topic. [Smile]

FC: It was no bother at all, particularly when the question is posed by so gracious a Lady as yourself. After all it's the esoteric that provides joy and wonder in the mundane world of man.

As to the Villa, it overlooks the Mediterranean from high up on the hills, a spectacular view if I may say so. You really must visit one of these days to experience it for yourself.

--------------------

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Varalent:

As to the second part of this curious question, one can find the answer in the High Commissioner's Authorised & Revised Daxamite Dictionary of the One Language. It reveals the following:

"In Daxamite, plurals of nouns are formed by adding the letter 'z' to the end of the word if the word ends in a vowel. For nouns that end in a consonant, add an 'iz' to create the plural"

A little more research, however, provides us with the definitive answer:

"Surnames of the Great Families of Daxam however do not follow the standard grammatical formula. Rather, they follow ancient usage and are pluralized by adding a 'th' to the surname if it ends in a vowel or an 'ith' if the surname ends in a consonant."

The Great Family of 'El' therefore would be pluralized as 'Elith'

That's very interesting ... particularly since Mon-El is not a Daxamite name. It was a combination of Monday and Superboy's family name, -El. Mon's real name was (and is) Lar Gand.

Are you sure you weren't looking in a Kryptonian dictionary (no doubt found in the abandoned Fortress of Solitude), instead?

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Of course you are correct but President Boltax, scholar that he is, is speaking figuratively in order to make his grammatical point. (Kandru is a little absent minded after all so it's likely he forgot that Mon-El was a codename.)

--------------------

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Kandru just hasn't been the same since they brought in the translator ear-plugs.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
A field of Krinns?

A pandemic of Sephts?

A blizzard of Bannins?

quote:
Originally posted by deanlegion:
A ring of Ardeens?
A bolt of Ranzzes?
A phaze of Wazzos?

Oh, this didn't go on nearly long enough. [Smile]

A fluidity of Daggles?

A gobble of Kems?

A solitude of Londos?

(Or would that be a solitude of Arrahs?)
(What... too soon?)

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
The way Brainy has been acting for the last decade or so, the plural of Dox appears to be Dix.
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.