Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Shvaughn Erin (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Shvaughn Erin
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I got my wish to see more SPs, but it didn't turn out exactly as I hoped. Watch what you wish for.

Still a Shvaughn Erin fan, though. If the copy appeared in LSH #41, can the real version be far behind?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I doubt it. But if it happens, I'll only find out through spoilers on this forum, because the immature, insensitive Shvaughn-related mind games of Shooter and company have convinced me to drop LSH from my pull list. It was a gradual accumulation of bothersome things from Dream Girl's death on, and Cham/Shvaughn was the last straw.

It wasn't an easy decision, especially since this was the first time I had ever been following LSH in "real time."

Still, I think I hung in there for a good long while -- # 7 to # 41, plus the trade with the first six issues. I'll probably end up selling most of them, because when I take away any sentimentality filters, it's brutally obvious that the only really good issues are the first ten (it was # 11 where Dream Girl died, or am I wrong?)

On a positive note, I'm thinking of giving the early post-ZH issues a try, partly because I'm intrigued by the concept of an older Shvaughn.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Post-ZH Shvaughn was a bit too den mother for me at times, but she had a great scene strong-arming Brainiac 5 when they were stuck in the 20th century. I particularly enjoyed her in DnA's Robotica storyline, however.

The recent bait-and-switch disappointed me but not to such a degree as you felt. Comic covers are always pulling that sort of stunt.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I agree entirely with Cramer.

But as annoying as the #41 bait-and-switch was, it was still less annoying than the Profem bit.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
The recent bait-and-switch disappointed me but not to such a degree as you felt. Comic covers are always pulling that sort of stunt.

It just felt...very mean-spirited to me. And laddish, too, in a way I'd expect from the current Marvel but not the current DC.

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
But as annoying as the #41 bait-and-switch was, it was still less annoying than the Profem bit.

I don't know. It seemed to me like they were deliberately and specifically trying to wind up readers who dislike the Profem bit. "She's not what you think she is -- AGAIN!"

Anyway, I appreciate the thoughts on post-ZH Schvaughn. One question: was Robotica drawn by Coipel or Batista? Because I like the latter a lot better than the former, in fact what little I've read of DnA's Legion put me off largely because of Coipel's art. On the other hand, a well-written Shvaughn might make the story worthwhile no matter who drew it. Decisions, decisions...

--------------------

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
Coipel drew most Robitica stories in The Legion, but not the preludes.

Not the 1st appearance in Legionaires (Moy did that) and I do not beleive he did the Legion Worlds with Robotica.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Thanks, Kent.

I've decided I am going to seek out Robotica.

--------------------

Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Did the Robotica storyline really have much Shvaughn in it? I don't remember that.

Be warned though Stealth - if you're going to introduce yourself to the reboot via DnA's Robotica storyline just remember that it starts off pretty good (in that Legionnaires issue just before 'Legion of the Damned' and in that Legion Worlds Star Boy/XS spotlight issue) but then quickly fizzled and bombed when they picked it up again in the Legion title. IMO anyway.

A period of the reboot that was a lot more heavily Shvaughn-centred I think, was the Team20 era when half the team were stuck in the 20th Century. Unfortunately that era is also one of the lowest points in Legion history so it's really up to whether your love for Shvaughn is enough to put yourself through that dreck.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Thanks for the warning, Blacula, but I think I'll take the chance. I figure even the worst moments of Robotica can't be any worse than bringing Ras Al Ghul into the 31st Century.

--------------------

Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Very, very true.
From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

One thing I liked about Shvaughn's role in Robotica (it was confined to essentially one issue, IIRC) was that it played off that 20th century tension with Brainiac 5 - in Robotocia, they were working together, not at odds with one another.

She wasn't a regular character with DnA, but they also portrayed her in an earlier issue of The Legion, with M'onel when they encountered Kinetix. I thought Shvaughn and M'onel made a good team - not in terms of romance - but they were both more mature than the other legionnaires. (I don't know if Lar was actually older, but he seemed that way.)

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.